WAMAS Grants!

Sharkey18

Did you know that WAMAS has a grant program? As part of its mission, WAMAS allocates $3000 per year for grants.  Last year we did not give away any of this money so this year we are actively seeking applicants. In the past we have supported applications for school tanks and travel for coral conservation research with SECORE. 

Do you know of a project that needs funding? Encourage them to apply!    

WAMAS Grant Program Description

WAMAS Grant Application

Here are some details: 

To be considered for a WAMAS grant, the purpose of the application subject area must be in accordance with the WAMAS Mission Statement; and should further

research, or
education, or
otherwise supports research or education; 

To be considered for a WAMAS grant, the applicant must be 

-  a member in good standing of an educational institution, or

-  a member in good standing of a research institution, or

-  a Professional Affiliate or Professional Fellow in good standing of the Association of
Zoos & Aquariums (AZA), or

-  an Organizational Member, or employee of an Organizational Member in good standing
with AZA, or

-  a party sponsored by a member or employee in good standing of one of the aforementioned institutions or associations. 

I guess it's time to finish revising the proposal and send it in.

Yes. Yes it is. 

Would WAMAS support breeding work on a popular fish that hasn't been captivly bred before?  I'm thinking of the helfrichi and decora dartfish/firefish.  Some researchers in India wrote a paper claiming a worldwide first for decora, but some of the wording in the paper looks like conspicuously similar to research work on another fish.  In either case, would a research project like this be of the type to get funded?  Or are they more typical projects like tanks for schools and such?

Oh, and in the same vein could this also apply to propagation of some of the medium sized pomecanthid angels (those that mature under 12" or so)?  Bali Aquarich is showing that with larval periods of just 25-30 days that tank bred angels are not all that hard.  Maybe we could put several pair in some 300 gallon tanks and give offspring to WAMAS to auction.  I'm just talking off the top of my head.  

Dave, the grant program tries to target educational institutions (and members of educational institutions, including students), research institutions and AZA institutions, or (as stated below), "a party sponsored by a member or employee in good stsatning of one of the aforementioned institutions or associations." To that end, if the breeding program were conducted by or sponsored by one of these institutions, it would be considered.. 

"To be considered for a WAMAS grant, the applicant must be 
-  a member in good standing of an educational institution, or
-  a member in good standing of a research institution, or
-  a Professional Affiliate or Professional Fellow in good standing of the Association of
Zoos & Aquariums (AZA), or
-  an Organizational Member, or employee of an Organizational Member in good standing
with AZA, or
-  a party sponsored by a member or employee in good standing of one of the aforementioned institutions or associations. "

By the way, we have sponsored researchers collecting coral eggs during spawning events under the SECORE program, and have sponsored students presenting work on the subject of their doctoral thesis in past years (as well as school tanks and tanks at zoo facilities).

• 2 weeks later...

The links to the applications and program description are broken. Access denied is the message I receive  .

The links to the applications and program description are broken. Access denied is the message I receive  .

I  suspect that it's because Laura's linked to the documents in the Officer's forum (which is restricted). I'll post the documents here in my post.

WAMAS Grant Program Description v1.0.pdf

WAMAS Grant Application v1.0.pdf

Is there any student or AZA member out there who would work with me on a grant to obtain broodstock and raise larvae of some of the angels and firefishes?  I think these would be good candidates for breeding.  But I'm not a member of an educational institution or zoo and the grants are aimed for educational and zoo types of institutions.

• 5 months later...

Sorry, Dave. A few of us got buried with MACNA and this was a casualty. I've sent an email to our Grant Program coordinator to see if we can't get things moving again right away. Sorry for the delay!

Good to know it's still in the running.  The slugs are still being pretty slow about  generating progeny, so things aren't moving at breakneck speed.

• 5 months later...

Did you know that WAMAS has a grant program? As part of its mission, WAMAS allocates $3000 per year for grants.  Last year we did not give away any of this money so this year we are actively seeking applicants. In the past we have supported applications for school tanks and travel for coral conservation research with SECORE. 

Do you know of a project that needs funding? Encourage them to apply!    

WAMAS Grant Program Description

WAMAS Grant Application

Here are some details: 

To be conside..............ember or employee in good standing of one of the aforementioned institutions or associations. 

My daughter's Oceanography class at TJ would like to find out more information about this.

The links for more info does not seem to be working.  Says I don't have permission to view.

Can someone correct these links ?

Thanks