St Thomas Mushrooms

Reefer_Madness

Lately I have seen some really cool St Thomas Mushrooms with amazing colors.  Has anyone out there had any luck with them?  I am a little reluctant to put them in the tank if they act like all the other mushrooms in my tank and take over.  Check out the pics of these cool St Thomas Mushrooms. 

post-2633810-0-13555600-1425393600_thumb.jpg

post-2633810-0-22884900-1425393618_thumb.jpg

post-2633810-0-30836600-1425393633_thumb.jpg

post-2633810-0-86460900-1425393642_thumb.jpg

(edited)

They are mushrooms and act like most mushrooms.. I've never bought crazy bright ones (I don't like the $$ of the expensive ones)

Sometimes they wither away, some times they self propagate...

Edited by smallreef

You won't have to worry about the rocking beautiful colored ones taking over. It's always the ugly brown things that grow fast, in my experience.

You won't have to worry about the rocking beautiful colored ones taking over. It's always the ugly brown things that grow fast, in my experience.

Isn't that how always is? The stuff you don't want always does well...

I figure at $25 per mushroom they must not spread quickly.

Do they split very often?  Can they be split by a razor and increased?

I think that's how the convo is going, they don't produce rapidly, but I imagine they could be propagated like any other mushroom, you probably take the risk at losing it. I've not kept them, so this is all opinion and assumption. I've never heard of anybody's tank getting over run by bounce mushrooms or St. Thomas mushrooms, I imagine it would be a similar experience to having a money tree.

anybody local got'em?

I've seen ERC get them in, they were just auctioning some not long ago.

Wow, those are so beautiful. just wonder why they have not doing well on the market.

I think they are doing well on the market, some of these mushrooms reach very high prices.

Wow, those are so beautiful. just wonder why they have not doing well on the market.

I saw some at HOT, but the looked brown. Not much color, but called ST. Thomas Mushrooms.

I believe Jan used to get her St. Thomas mushrooms here when she did her group buys. I don't remember them having the spectacular colors that start off this thread, but there was a variety, and the price ($12, if memory serves) was certainly hard to beat.

At one point, Pacific East Aquaculture had them.  I don't see them on their website now, but if you're looking for something closer it might be worth giving them a call.