Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally figured out what has been happening to the monti undata! I've been racking my brain for months and it turns out, the tailspot blenny is eating it! Little turd just took two or three bites while I was refilling the ATO. 

43696505681_c405d097b2_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I go out of town, there has to be a little drama with the tank regardless of how well I prepare. For the most part, things seemed to be going pretty well until about a week into the trip, my wife noticed that the ATO wasnt working properly. She noticed one of the brackets for the float switch had broken so she started maintaining the water level by hand. A couple days after that, the storm came through and knocked out the power. She let me know it was out and asked what to do? I told her to fire up the generator if it lasted more than about two hours and she did so (was about about 4.5 hours). I got home yesterday and most everything looked pretty good. The acroporas that were looking back still looked bad but the monti undata is in really bad shape now. 

I started cleaning everything up, checking everything out, and ordered replacement brackets for the float sensors. Then I pulled the broken bracket out of the sump...

29096857557_bfeaaf7aa2_b.jpg

44034390521_3f9a74447b_b.jpg

And what they should look like

44034428201_7336004945_b.jpg

I had an ICP completed about two months ago and there wasn't anything out of the norm (slightly elevated aluminum but nothing to cause concern). Not sure when the magnet enclosure ruptured but I'll be doing a couple larger water changes this week regardless. 

Just a friendly reminder to check everything and often. 

Wow!!!!! That sucks. I'm surprised your ICP test didn't show much out of the ordinary. Well glad to hear it wasn't all that bad. Makes me want to check my equipment more.

• 3 weeks later...

My lighting experiment claimed a victim this morning; our diamond goby went carpet surfing; bit of a surprise as he is never close to the top of the tank (none of them are). I'll blame the yellow tang because I hate it anyways... On a positive note, the corals are looking pretty good (getting back to what they were prior to the change). 

Because I dont want to tear the rock work and corals up. It's unlikely that the tang was the issue with the goby but I blame everything bad on the tang LOL. Once the 150g is up, I can transfer things logically instead of emotionally (which would likely result in the tang early demise). He does chase the CBB a lot so I may get a trap and give him/her to an unsuspecting care taker (mwa hahaha). I'm asking a lot of the tang to behave in a 75g tank so there's really only one person to blame.

• 2 weeks later...
Been a while since I've posted any pictures of the acroporas. Despite the above issue with the magnet (and whatever impacted the corals), it looks like everything is going to make it.

This one is extremely durable and never showed any signs of stress; the only issue here was my wife breaking a large branch off the back during a power outage.

44649566202_de4455a225_b.jpg

This demonstrated some odd behavior; the new growth (back left) remained an intense yellow while the main body started to brown out. Once I got a handle on the problem, the main body colored back up and the new growth lost all of its color.

44697523341_d353cb651c_b.jpg

I had lowered the lighting intensity a bit during while things were wonky and the rainbow delight wasn't a fan; it remained otherwise healthy the entire time and showed no signs of stress (this is one of the few times it hasn't shown good polyp extension actually).

44649568942_9e94f6d98a_b.jpg

The Tyree's pink lemonade acted like nothing happened; apparently this one is tough.

30827824998_8d24ac011e_b.jpg

This unknown acro had a few small brown spots but colored right back up. Always has crazy polyp extension.

30827826558_32ede8ca9e_b.jpg

Another unknown that faired well; it lost a bit of color in a few spots but remained largely unchanged. It is an extremely slow grower for me.

30827827258_442b2f9599_b.jpg

The strawberry shortcake actually grew quite a bit during this mess and looked great (go figure).

30827828278_02450d6787_b.jpg

The yellow tip had some color shifts during this period but continued to grow. It is starting to color back up now.

43980087984_779eca0d8d_b.jpg

Reef Raft wolverine started to turn green out (with some brown as well) but made it through relatively unscathed. This one has also been an extremely slow grower; in all fairness it has been moved a number of times as.

30827830018_5ccaafcbbd_b.jpg

The SC orange passion's polyps turned green and it lost some of the intense purple but otherwise remained good. The polyps have really started to show some orange the past week and a half, though it didn't photograph well.

43980089144_8f342a9a88_b.jpg

This unknown green tenuis was hit extremely hard and I thought it was a total loss but left it in there just in case. After about two weeks, I started seeing some polyps popping back out. Though it bleached completely and did have some die off, about 75% of it remains alive and is starting to get some green back in it.

43980090154_4f13471459_b.jpg

"Problem child" (unknown acropora) was hit the hardest with about 85% die off. I figured it was a goner as well but a few polyps remained. It browned out completely before STNing but the color has started to return rapidly and polyp extension is once again, fantastic. It is one of my favorites and I'm very happy it survived. I didn't trim it back because there are lone polyps on many of the branches so I'll just let it re-encrust on its own.

30827832738_2ce8d00142_b.jpg

This unknown browned out but always looked pretty good and has been coloring back up pretty quickly.

43980096834_170acfe0b6_b.jpg

The little smooth skin turned completely white and looked rough but returned to normal within a week and has some new growth.

43980098894_569d6f7595_b.jpg

Another unknown that was hit really hard. It browned out and then started to STN; it looks like the STN stopped about a week ago and it's starting to get some color back.

44697544451_87486ef9d6_b.jpg

This monti cap was hit pretty hard, losing about 70% of it's tissue and bleached out. Most of the polyps remained (though retracted) so I figured it would rebound pretty quick; it didn't disappoint. Of interest, a bunch of flatworms took up residence and have remain on even after healing up (all the light spots you see). There have always been a number of them on the purple scroll but I never observed them on the monti. They dont seem to bug it and I have no intention of removing them unless they start (these are the things I love about the hobby). 

43980578594_03d31666b0_b.jpg

Though polyp extension was reduced, the tubinaria was largely unharmed.

43980641004_9bf4bc6ca3_b.jpg

The rainbow delight responded well to the increased light intensity (bumped up another 10% today). Alkalinity consumption has also increased this week (first time since the move). Looks like things are back on track now (knock on wood). 

29929738767_4d18cf2f51_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some interesting observations today (well, the past two or three days actually). Phosphate levels went way up about a month (right after I went out of town oddly enough...) and nitrates have been higher than typical for a few months now (generally <1 previously and now running 4-5ppm). 

Some of the acropora have shown stress; most of the affected corals started to bleach out. The SC Orange Passion was the worst hit and actually some STN (hopefully I can still save it). Others (e.g. Vivid Rainbow Delight and Tyree's Pink Lemonade) showed no negative symptoms and actually put on some growth. The Strawberry Shortcake actually grew quite a bit. 

I pleaded with my wife to cut the morning feeding (LRS Reef Frenzy) in half and I eliminated the feeding of LRS in the evening (they still received a whole clam in the evening) to try and tackle the phosphate levels. I also switched the refugium lighting over to a 24 hour photo-period (from 16 hours) to speed up consumption of nitrates and phosphates. I'm definitely removing substantially more macro-algae from the refugium now but it's hard to say it's done much for the phosphate levels (i.e. I dont know if my wife is actually less). 

I started carbon dosing a couple months ago to get the nitrate levels under control and ultimately stopped at 20ml twice a day (40ml total) recently. In the past couple of days, colors on the bleached acroporas have started to come back pretty rapidly. Phosphate levels on the other hand, have increased a small amount.

While it's pretty early to draw any conclusions, it would seem the nitrate levels of 4-5ppm have had a more pronounced negative affect on acropora health while the phosphate levels haven't amounted to much of anything at this point. 

An unknown variable could be something in the tank or a lack of macro/micro-elements in the water. I've been completing 15g water changes the past month (I do weekly water changes) vice 10g which may be eliminating something "bad" that I cant find in test results (my typical kits in addition to ICP results) and/or adding something that has been lacking. I increased the water change amount because magnesium levels were starting to fall lower than I wanted (from about 1330-1290) over the course of a week. I figured this would likely be the case for other macro/micro-elements as well. I'm not much of a believer that other macro/micro-elements are essential but this may compound the nitrate theory. 

I'll stay the course and observe for a couple more weeks. I'll order another ICP just for a sanity check. 

Current levels:

Alkalinity 6.8 dKh
Calcium 405
Magnesium 1305
Nitrate 2.5ppm
Phosphate .187ppm

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We were starting to get some undesirable algae in hard to reach spots of the tank...
47045440582_992a4ae2a5_b.jpg
so we contracted a hired gun. After about four hours in the tank, it has started going to town on the algae (bryopsis, whatever).
46374083554_07fbecfd8d_b.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality pictures; gave my dSLR to my father because I was upgrading but haven't done it yet... 

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Power supply on the return pump (Waveline DC6000) took a digger at some point while I was at work today. I was able to find a replacement on Amazon and I have a Rio 2100 (might be a 2500, cant remember) on duty until it arrives (way less flow but it's working). Not sure how long it was out of commission today but everything is doing fine; no harm no foul it appears. 

I also switched over to a short pulse (NTM actually) on the Vortechs that creates about a 2" wave. I was getting some dead spots deep inside some of the corals (previously using Reefcrest)  and I'm hoping this will help drive some current further in. Had to trim one of the acros way back (long over due) but it has gotten so invasive to a neighbor (literally overgrew about 40% of it). Was hard to tear apart a colony that was about 13" across but it had to be done; I really need to get the 150g up and running because this just isn't fair to the corals. 

On another note, the tank is one month short of 3 years and I think one day past a year since the move. 

Edited by madweazl

8 hours ago, KingOfAll_Tyrants said:

Very nice work.  Good luck on the new pump.

IIRC, this one is lit by two Kessil 360s and then 4x T5s in an LED-T5 fixture?   

Correct; in regard to T5s, I use two Blue+, an AquaBlue Special, and a Purple+. The Kessils peak at 70% intensity (might be 75) and color is set to 50%. The Kessils ramp from 0% intensity to 70% over six hours and then run back down to 0% over the next six hours (12 hour total photoperiod). The T5s are on for eight hours. 

1 hour ago, cpu933k said:

How old was the dc6000? Are you replacing the whole pump or just the power supply?

Pump was exactly one month short of three years. It is a Gen1 and had performed flawlessly to that point; I only replaced the power supply (should be here tomorrow). Hopefully that is all that needs replaced :)