Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

(edited)

This was the yellow tip 2 Jan 2018 (day I brought it home).

39462620961_99c36c8edc_b.jpg

Easier for comparison.

28087533537_b4485d53d5_b.jpg

Edited by madweazl

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Butterfly fish have always been one of my favorites but this is the first one I've attempted to keep. I thought feeding was going to be considerably more difficult but it immediately took to clams. Last night, they gutted the clam almost instantly so I stuck it in the veggie clip. After a couple of minutes, the butterfly started picking at it! I'll continue to use this technique for another week or so and start offering some other foods in it. 

41208932900_470c6baae5_b.jpg

(edited)
Sent some water into ATI for analysis; I've used Triton in the past (three times I believe) but was wanted to give ATI a shot.

My test results at time samples were taken:

Salinity - 35ppt

Alkalinity - 7.4 dKh

Calcium - 395ppm

Magnesium - 1350ppm

Phosphate - .028

Nitrates - >4ppm* 

* I tried the high range with the Red Sea Pro kit and I get a light lavender vice a pinkish color so it is pretty much useless. Before I ran out of the Salifert reagents, I was hovering in the 7.5 range but the last test showed 25ppm. No clue if it was a valid result or not but hopefully we'll see something valuable with the ATI results. 

In light of the increasing nitrate results since the move, I began carbon dosing again (vinegar). Skimate has become darker already but I don't know if the nitrates have started to drop yet or not (only day five so there probably isn't any measurable change at this point). 

Edit: Test kits used:

Salinity - ATC refractometer (measurement taken after resting for 45 seconds)

Alkalinity - Hanna

Calcium - Red Sea Pro

Magnesium - Salifert

Phosphate - Hanna ULR

Nitrates - Red Sea Pro

Edited by madweazl

Looking great. Nice color on the Pink Lemonade. Mine has browned out. Thinking might be due to high nutrients. Need to really test my parameters.

(edited)

What are your nutrient levels? I had been under 1ppm NO3 for quite some time until the move where it jumped up quite a bit. The last month or two I'd been seeing 5-10ppm until about a week ago were I got a reading of 25ppm from the last of my reagents for the Salifert kit. I retested with a Red Sea Pro and it was above 4ppm but when I didnt the high range the results were useless (very light lavender color that didnt match with anything so I figured it just over 4ppm). New Salifert kit arrived today and it looked to be about 5ppm. 

I did have some issues with a couple corals; both montis (an undata and a capricornis) paled out big time and one of the acroporas that has always been really touchy browned out. In addition, another with similar color (purples/blues) browned out as well but everything else looked fine (typical growth rates and coloration). I also changing lighting in that window so I cant pinpoint which one of those caused the issue (or both). I typically wouldnt be concerned with NO3 levels under 10ppm but it's possible these few corals reacted poorly I suppose. 

On another note, new guy...

WWC Suicide Squad
42257015945_56c0ab9723_b.jpg
Edited by madweazl

Decided to test when I got home today. NO3 is sitting at around 1ppm according to Red Sea. Well I'm guessing as its slightly pink. My phosphate is about .1 using the Seachem test. I had it pretty high in the tank and just moved it down a bit. Maybe its getting too much light or not enough. It was getting about 250 par where it was. New location is about 200 par. My other browned out coral is my Mystic Monti but I do see it starting to get back that hot pink color back. Very nice addition. Need to make a trip up to CJ soon

It gets just over 300 PAR where I have it in the tank. You phosphates are a lot higher than mine (unless you meant .01) which could be a contributing factor. I've never been a big believer in huge PAR numbers but that is something you can try I suppose. How long has it been in the tank?

Yeah its probably more between .05 and .1. Its really tough to see the difference between that range. Might need to pick up a Hanna Phosphate checker.

The Hanna ULR is handy but with that said, the results I get from that have never matched an ICP (the ICP is always much lower to the tune of about 60%) so I'm not sure how 'good" they really are. We'll see how the ATI results stack up the Hanna shortly; I should have enough data to compare with the Triton results, maybe I can find some truth data in that. Regardless, I try to keep the phosphate well under .03 but I haven't been very successful at that lately. 

Wow thats quite the difference between Hanna and ICP. It will be interesting to see how ATI stacks up. Is Hanna the only PO4 test you're using? Yeah I think I just need to start using the GFO that I haven't used yet to get my PO4 down a bit.

This acropora has always browned out at the drop of a hat but has taken it to a new level. The tank move and two changes to lighting in the past two months didn't do it any favors. 

43215725012_851276c7b9_b.jpg

What it looked like in March. 

40734061851_8f333f4f8d_b.jpg

Yea, There are quite a few that are still out. I have something to take its spot should it die but I've had them come back from much worse so I'll leave it there until the bitter end. 

• 2 weeks later...