New Member From NoVA

rain

Hello everyone! I am brand new to the saltwater aquarium world and am excited to start this fun adventure. I am starting out with a Coralife Biocube 29 which is currently cycling with 35 lbs of live rock, 30 lbs of live sand, and stock filtration and lights for now. I have ordered the intank media basket and am planning to try the filter floss, Purigen and Chemi Pure Elite in it. Again, I am totally new so I'm trying hard to research as much as possible so I don't have as many setbacks and screw-ups (although I know I still will have some). I do have some questions for all of you experts out there. Some of them I realize I will get different opinions on, but I welcome that as well. :-) My goals for this tank are to have a few small, colorful fish (see question below on those), some colorful live corals, and maybe some day an anemone. Ok, here goes:

1) What else should I do besides the intank media basket? I see some people say to get the fuge basket with live rock or algae back there? Others say the Tunze protein skimmer is a must. Thoughts on what to do with that space next to the media basket?

2) I added a Koralia 425 Nano Circulation pump. Will this be ok? Might I need another one? Some people say two is better.

3) With two small daughters, my fish goals are centered around an Ocellaris clownfish or two (two I believe is better than one?) and then as many small, colorfish fish that are fun to watch as possible. Thank goodness the Ocellaris is a good beginner fish. I've read that some people say you should only have the pair of clowns and maybe one other fish or two in this size tank. Others have said they have up to a total of 6 or 7. It would be really great to have an anemone some day for the clowns to host with if possible but I realize they can be harder to keep. My thoughts on fish that interest me after the clowns are the royal gramma, yellow or orange stripe goby, firefish, six line wrasse and a red cleaner shrimp (tried to research what plays nicely with the clownfish). Recommendations on how many fish and in what order and how spaced out I would get them? Also, advice on where to get fish from? I live in the Manassas/Woodbridge area and want to work with someone who will work with a beginner who doesn't know how to pick out a healthy fish and needs good advice on feeding, care, etc. I'm open to working with people here on the forum too instead of stores. Whatever is best!

4) For lighting, I understand I have a 10k daylight fluorescent light, an Actinic blue fluorescent light and one blue LED light bar with 3 blue LEDs on it. There are slots to add 4 more LED bars. I have read a lot about lighting upgrades for the biocube but have also seen people say the stock lighting wasn't bad. I also am not exactly sure which lights should be on and from what times. Timer suggestions for each please? I like the way the stock lighting looks, but I am concerned with the heat. When the Actinic light comes on, the fan comes on with it and it's pretty loud. Not exactly soothing to hear and it still gets warm. With all the lights on, the water with no heater is over 81 degrees. If I don't use the Actinic light, then it hovers more around 80.6. So, is the tank too hot and should the fan be that loud?  Are there lighting options that will be cooler for the tank? Should I be looking at replacing lighting or adding more LED bars? We keep our house around 73 in the winter and more around 75 in the summer.

5) CUC - What should I get and when?? I just started up the tank this past Friday. The water is clear and the ammonia has spiked so I think cycling is moving along.

I think that's all for now. Sorry to put out such a bunch of questions!!!! I really appreciate any and all assistance and advice.

Thank you all!

Rain

Welcome! First and foremost, keep it simple and keep asking questions. This forums I'll be a great way for you to learn, it's a wonderful community.

Take it slow, and get a test kit. You will know your tank is cycled when you have no more ammonia or nitrite. What did you use to start the cycle? Live rock, piece of shrimp? The longer you can wait on setting it up, the better, IMO, you will add life that you can't see, and some that you can. On a 29 gallon you can add a skimmer, but don't worry about all those mods yet, you should be good with just water changes for a good ling while.

A clown pair would be nice for that size tank, but the lighting will not handle an anemone. You will want to consider a full LED retrofit, or something stronger than the PC bulbs. While you can do softies and some lps, you will find the lights seriously lacking.

Whatever other fish you choose, research research research. We have a plethora of great vendors in the area, and you will come to find your favorites. There are always fish up fs in our buy sell trade area!

Welcome again !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a BIocube 29 with stock lighting some time ago. I ran an inTank media basket and a Tunze 9002. I also ran rubble rock in the first chamber for additional live filtration. The Tunze was good, but really,with a tank that small and stock lighting, soft corals (zoas, ricordia, colt coral, etc. - maybe even some LPS like a hammer or frogspawn coral) and regular water changes are probably all it really needed. 

I can't comment on the flow produced by a Koralia 425 simply because I've not used it. The Koralias that I used were of an earlier generation. I can say, however, that the single Koralia nano that I tried was too small. I think that that the  next size up was a Koralia 1 (or something like that). I think that the old Koralia 1 is pretty much of the same capacity as a Koralia 425, but not sure.  I had only one installed and used the return to help add some counter-flow to set up a little turbulance in the tank. I wouldn't put two in such a small tank, simply because it takes up a lot of room. But two would allow you to address any dead spots a little better than a single. 

For stock lighting (which I assume is still a power compact?), I would do more research before dropping in an anemone. Most have high light requirements and thrive better in high water quality. Most clownfish will host just about anything if an anemone is not present. This would include the colt coral, hammer and frogspawn  corals that I mentioned earlier. Research your livestock to make sure that they will thrive in a tank as small as you're talking about. Liveaquaria has some nice information that a lot of people depend upon. Keep in mind that the more fish you put in a tank, the more you'll have to feed and the greater the challenge of maintaining water quality. If you pack them in too densely, you may also raise the risk of disease because the fish become and remain stressed. Visit a few stores in your area and get to know the staff. Some that are closest to you are Incredible Corals on Gary Rd. (off Balls Ford Rd.) in Manassas, and Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine (BRK) off 234 west of town going toward 15. There's also Quantum Reefs down in Springfield and Marine Scene over in Reston. Check out our LFS Map by clicking on "About WAMAS" in the blue ribbon at the top of the page.

It sounds like they've changed some of the lighting for the BC29 so you'll probably want to take my advice regarding what can thrive under what is now stock lighting. As for the fan, it may be possible to retrofit the hood fan with a quieter fan. I had do do the same when my fans turned noisy. Search for BC29 mods on the 'net and you may find some advice in this area.

Once the nitrate levels have settled and you have a live filter operating, you can begin to add you CUC. Your choice as to what you want and whether or not you want it to include things like hermit crabs. (Some like them, others don't.) Talk to your LFS and they can tell you more and help you get them in.

Thanks Tom and Paul! I just started the cycle with live rock and sand from a large sw tank that was being broken down. The ammonia is high along with nitrates so I'm assuming the cycling is started?

I'm glad to hear I should be ok with the stock lighting for now. I'm definitely open to the corals that could maybe host with the clownfish instead of an anemone. Easier is better for a beginner! I appreciate the recommendations there.

I do plan to take it very slow. I've been to all the stores you mention above (we've spent a few weekends now traveling around to see what's around) except for the Marine Scene (wish they were open on Sundays as that's my day to run around). So I will plan to work with one or more of them as I get going.

Thanks again!!

Rain

If nitrates are already high, that sounds like you inherited them with the (dirty) sand from the other tank. I'd recommend a skimmer to fit in the back at the very least. The stock lighting will be fine for most softies and you can even get rock anemones as they have lower light requirements. Keeping water chemistry stable should be your main goal in such a small tank.

Buy some good test kits (salifert) and start recording your parameters- this will allow you to help pinpoint problems when they occur.

If you're already concerned with the heat, then you might not want to add any powerheads for additional circulation because they are just dumping their heat right into the water. These tanks run quite well on stock circulation/lighting/filtration if you are patient and excercise some restrain in regards to modifications.

Edited by zygote2k

That makes sense. I was thinking about the Tunze for it already.

I had no idea the power heads added heat. Whoops.... Good to know. I'll turn it off and see if it drops a bit.

Any advice on what times each light should be on for?

Thank you!!

Rain

Sorry.... Was thinking more about what you said. Is the sand I have not good?

It's not that the sand isn't "good. " There are issues that come along with getting used sand, good and bad. It already has critters living in it so it helps to seed your aquarium. But it also comes with the "dirt" that builds up in aquarium sand. The high nitrates are likely a result of that dirt because of how early they appeared in your cycle.

You may want to invest in a good sand vacuum tube (there's a better name for it) and really vacuum your sand at some point. You don't have anything in your tank now, so you can afford to stir it up and "clean" it now.

Welcome!

I used HK nanos originally. You'll most likely need 2 to get the flow you want. 1 is okay for most beginner corals IMO but if you decide to get into some SPS or harder corals, you'll want more flow or more specifically, more random flow that 2 can give you . Good luck!

Thanks Jack! Did you find a good way to counteract the heat they put out?

I have a 29 standard and saw no issues w/ heat. I had 2 of them. I think 29G is enough volume that this particular PH won't affect temp. Certain types of lighting (usually MH) will have more effect on heat. I wouldn't worry about it as it relates to the HKs. You want to look at other culprits.

Welcome!

When it comes to buying fish, in addition to making sure it appears healthy, I always make sure the fish is eating before I buy it from a store. Some species are more difficult than others to acclimate to tank food, especially if they just came out of the ocean yesterday. While I'm sure that all our local fish stores are only selling healthy, acclimated fish I would still ask them to put some food in the tank to show me that it is eating. 

I have also bough fish from individual people with great results! Fish from established aquariums tend to be well acclimated to tank foods.

Thanks Jack. I'll do some more homework on the heat issue.

Rob - thanks for the welcome! I had read that about watching a fish eat before you bring it home and I think I have a LFS that I feel comfortable with. But I'll check the forums here too when I am ready for the first occupant. Fun!

I would start saving for the lighting upgrade unless your planning on a primary soft coral tank.  There is no problem with that if you are but eventually you will want something alittle harder to grow.  Welcome and "May the odds be ever in your favor......"

Something you may want to do when searching for clowns for the tank is ask one of the vendors or an LFS if they have any established clown pairs, which will make your life much easier as someone new to saltwater. They shouldn't be too hard to find, especially if you want a basic ocellaris and not a fancy designer clown of some sort. There are tons of resources online that explain how to pair clowns, but getting an established pair will save you the trouble. Another common misconception is that clowns need an anemone. They don't, and will find some object in your tank to call home (mine have hosted my powerheads, a duncan coral, a hammer coral, a tiny frag of xenia, and various corners of the tank. Clowns are weird).

If you get a firefish, you may want other fish that are considered peaceful (clowns generally fall into that category, except the hellspawn that are maroons). You probably don't want to get a sixline and a firefish. Firefish tend to be timid and sixline's can be jerks. I had a firefish in my tank before my sixline, so they got along fine until the firefish jumped through the egg crate. I tried to introduce another firefish and the sixline killed it since he had already established its territory. As sixlines mature, they become much more territorial and aggressive. They are beautiful, active fish, but do keep that in mind. A firefish and a royal would probably work, but the gramma is known to be an active fish (not sure about territorial) and that may spook the firefish into hiding. 

Skunk cleaners are awesome. I highly recommend you add one or two, even though they're pretty expensive. They eat everything and spend all day scavenging and are basically an ideal addition to a CUC. Sexy shrimp are also really neat and do a little wavy dance thing that's fun to watch, but they're really tiny.

I see the orange stripe goby on your list, and I highly recommend them as well. Mine is in my main display along with a number of other fish and he spends all day looking attractive while guarding the entrance to the massive cave his pistol shrimp built. He's also becoming much more striking as he gets older and larger. Really cool to see in person on a daily basis. There are other beautiful "watchmen" gobies, including the yasha, hi-fin red banded, and yellow versions. for a tank your size, you may want to check out the nano section of live aquaria to see other fish that would work. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124)

Thanks Keraxis!

rtelles - I really appreciate the fish advice. Very helpful! Glad to hear I'm not too far off so far in research. And I'm happy it sounds like the orange stripe goby should work. The sixline was at the bottom of my list anyways so I'm ok crossing him off.

Question for the group again. I'm at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and a spike in nitrates (80) with a solid diatom algae bloom covering most of the live rock and sand. When do I get the CUC? Do I wait for the nitrates to come down? Thanks all!

Figured I would add a pic of the tank so far. It might have other types of algae? I am not sure. The guy who sold me the live rock and sand also gave me the few small corals you see and assured me they were fine right away. Who knows though. Not me!! :-)

post-2635782-0-02226600-1422661685_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...