Sad. Lost my fav fish

sachabballi reef

I couldn't find my fairy wrasse for awhile but i knew it was healthy and fat and figured it was just doing that disappearing wrasse thing they do. Well, was just leaving the house and heard the tank going nuts and emergency drain kick in...took me a few minutes to understand thats what i was hearing and ran down to the basement....i reached into the drain and could feel a fish bent in half and was trying to do a quick roll call but everyone that had been there was....so i ran and grabbed a towel and pulled out the pipe and there was my wrasse...thrashing when I took him out....but you could see he was headed out fast...i held him in the tank in my hands and watched him and his eyes were moving and for a minute there i thought i could save him but if i let go he floated upside down...so i held him there for what felt like forever and tried to figure out my next steps knowing i had to leave right away to go get my kids....but then he suddenly died....im so crazy sad....he was fat and healthy but must have jumped in there and finally got stuck in the drain. I hate this part of the hobby. I really really do.

Sorry to hear, Jenn. It's my least favorite part as well. That or corals that die or stn/rtn and you can't figure out why. That's why I designed my overflow to not accept anything over 1/2".

man had that same thing happen to my favorite clown a long while back....sorry to hear.

hopefully your remembered to get your kids...my condolences on the fish

sigh, sorry!   Just loss my wrasse the exact same way, came home, my emergency drain was working (thank god) and had to pull the wrasse out of the system.  It was not easy, stuck a shop vac on the side at thetank and had to blow compressed air into the drain at the sump.   Broke my heart, he was way cool.  He must have been in the drain for a few hours as he was really stuck and no water was geting past him.

So sorry, Jenn....

I know...its a bummer...thanks

Sorry to hear, Jenn. It's my least favorite part as well. That or corals that die or stn/rtn and you can't figure out why. That's why I designed my overflow to not accept anything over 1/2".

Worst part is i had a drain screen on for 2 years and took it off about a month ago to clean it and got distracted and kept forgetting to put it back on. I feel incredibly guilty.

man had that same thing happen to my favorite clown a long while back....sorry to hear.

hopefully your remembered to get your kids...my condolences on the fish

Lol i did and when they gave me crap for being late my eyes watered and i told them the story and they felt so bad for me that they were the ones apologizing to me ;)

sigh, sorry!   Just loss my wrasse the exact same way, came home, my emergency drain was working (thank god) and had to pull the wrasse out of the system.  It was not easy, stuck a shop vac on the side at thetank and had to blow compressed air into the drain at the sump.   Broke my heart, he was way cool.  He must have been in the drain for a few hours as he was really stuck and no water was geting past him.

Mine was sucked in hard but it had to have just happened....but he was sucked in sideways and trapped at the very top so i could grab him with a towel easily but the trauma must have been too much for the poor guy. He was a very cool fish....i feel so bad about it.

I'm so sorry Jenn. It's the absolute worst when they go in your hands and there's nothing you can do. I'm still having a hard time getting over mine.