BWard's 70 Acrylic Cube

Finally got the height right on the skimmer so it's up and running. The display has cleared from what you saw previously though I still have to do my aquascaping. Cycle is cycling (I need to run a test and see if I have only nitrates yet). Once I get to the aquascaping - hopefully Friday or this weekend - I'll be able to add the sand.

One unexpected benefit of traveling weekly for work is that it's easier to be patient and let the tank do its thing during this phase of setup  :laugh:

IMG_0196.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this is my final aquascape configuration. I got the brown diatoms and now have hair algae. I need to check levels to be sure I have nitrates but I think everything is probably good. I saw an enormous bristleworm crawl across one of the rocks, there's an aptaisia and I think a zoa hitchhiker on one of the rocks. So things are looking good! I'm going to add sand this weekend (hopefully - I have to rinse some of it and it's so very cold outside). I also have to acquire a more powerful heater (currently have 2x25W heaters in the sump) that will maintain a good temp. With the cold and my sump in the basement, the tank is only getting up to 74 when the lights are on and sitting around 71 or 72 with them off.

Front:

IMG_0209.JPG

Right Side:

IMG_0208.JPG

Once you raise the temp to more normal reef tank temps you may get some additional weirdness happen in your cycle.  Different bacterial films dominate at different temperatures and a 7-8 degree swing seems like it may make a difference.  At least it does for some of our cell cultures in the lab...

• 2 weeks later...

I like the side view a lot. That's probably one of my favorite viewing panes on any tank. That's why I don't know if I could do an in wall, unless it was sma corner.

I thought I posted after I put the sand in but I guess not. Here are front and right side now. You can see that the algae is growing in nicely :cool:  I've added a few snails and crabs but not enough. Hopefully temps will be reasonable next week and I'll be able to pick up more.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

Fauna Marine Algae X would take care of that Algae for sure BRS has it in stock. 

• 6 months later...

New look with the LED I won at MACNA. It's a SanRise Pro Plus. Seems to be a decent light though the app you have to use as a the controller needs a little additional thought. It works for me but for non-techy people would probably drive you crazy just trying to get it set up and figured out.

Also featured is the copperband I picked up while one of the vendors was breaking down. Haven't seen him eat yet, but his demeanor is pretty good so far.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

Most excellent. A well deserved win. Nem doesn't seem to mind the light. I had success with LRS food thawed in a shot glass for copperbands. Fish stores always say mysis. I soaked my mysis in selcon for the first few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk