Another Water Mixing Station

YHSublime

So I'm thinking I could use a float valve in the fresh water side, unions off the bulkheads, ball valve into a T, another ball valve off the bottom of the T into the pump.

Freshwater would fill both sides, I could close each side, mix salt, close off either side depending on what water I wanted to use.

My only concern is that the little bit of saltwater left in the bottom would mix into the fresh water when I did the filling up again.

Fill the freshwater one with RODI, then open up the valves to pump input from the freshwater side, turn pump on, open pump output to salwater side and fill it up.

When the saltwater is off, shut off the output valve going to saltwater, turn pump off, and shut off the freshwater valve going to the pump input.  Then make more RODI to fill that one.  You're right that if you just left all the valves open the salt would go into the fresh.

Anyway, I'm picturing 4 valves total plus a pump.  Two valves on pump input coming from fresh and salt, one on pump output going to salt, one on pump output going to a hose for water changes.

Fill the freshwater one with RODI, then open up the valves to pump input from the freshwater side, turn pump on, open pump output to salwater side and fill it up.

When the saltwater is off, shut off the output valve going to saltwater, turn pump off, and shut off the freshwater valve going to the pump input. Then make more RODI to fill that one. You're right that if you just left all the valves open the salt would go into the fresh.

Anyway, I'm picturing 4 valves total plus a pump. Two valves on pump input coming from fresh and salt, one on pump output going to salt, one on pump output going to a hose for water changes.

Good thinking, 99.

Might want to add some more plumbing so that you can use the same pump to mix. Helps warm the water too if you are using a mag or similar.

--

Warren

How would you suggest. I'm looking for as simple as possible.

Add a "T" and a closed loop after the valve from the RODI that goes up to the top of the saltwater tank. It should then be able to move the salt water. Add a valve to that line so you can close that line off and pump water from the RODI tank over when you need to.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I worked with Rob on my plumbing last week :)

Edited by DuffyGeos

On the output of the pump you already would have one valve for the input to the salt tank and one for the new saltwater for water changes. From the valve going in to the salt tank, have the pipe go up halfway or more up the side of the tank and in through a bulkhead. Then you open the valve to the pump from the saltwater output at the bottom and the valve to the saltwater on the top and keep the pump running.

Here is one idea for you. I've been a bit scatterbrained when posting to your thread so I hope this makes up for it.

post-2633525-142069144268_thumb.jpg

I have mine in a similar setup. I'd show you, but it's a mess and this makes more sense. I have the plumbing in the salt water tank setup to create a swirling action. Make sure to put a down turn on pipes at the bottom for maximum pickup. Don't go crazy, just closer since you lose space from the uniseals.

--

Warren

Here is one idea for you. I've been a bit scatterbrained when posting to your thread so I hope this makes up for it.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420691443.847643.jpg

I have mine in a similar setup. I'd show you, but it's a mess and this makes more sense. I have the plumbing in the salt water tank setup to create a swirling action. Make sure to put a down turn on pipes at the bottom for maximum pickup. Don't go crazy, just closer since you lose space from the uniseals.

--

Warren

I think that makes sense. I'll try and map it out again and get it "cleared" first. 

It looks like either way I'll have to add another bulkhead to the top of the saltwater side and drill for that. Once it's all sorted it will be well worth it, I'm sure. 

• 1 month later...

Here's what I ended up with. Dont mind the 3rd smaller tank on the end. That will be for my auto water change when I get around to putting that together. Right now I just use it to heat a small amount of water for WC's without having to heat the whole 50g tank.  I have float valves in both containers coming right from the RODI on the wall.... Just enough room to pull the car in the garage :)

20150223_212421_zps33sgojyo.jpg

Looks great, I don't have the space for this operation anymore :(