Another Water Mixing Station

YHSublime

Hey all. So I bought these 40 gallon water containers in the hopes to upgrade my water mixing station. Prior to, I was making RO/DI and mixing saltwater in the same barrel. This meant I had to use 5 gallon containers as my top off. Frequently, this resulted in a flood in my kitchen, as I did not have float valves on my little containers, and often forgot to set a timer, although I swore I would not.

So couple of questions with statements:

1. I cant really put them on different levels, because my height is restricted. They will be in my coat closet. I'm not really sure how to plumb them at all, will this be an issue if they sit at the same height?

2. I am going to drill through the wall to hook up my RO/DI tubes from the kitchen into my closet, similar to my last setup. I don't want to have to drill a float valve into the side of the tank, as space is limited. I am hoping that perhaps what I could do is drill a float valve through the lid, but was not sure if they came in such a fashion as that when the water pushed up it stopped it, if that makes sense?

3. How should I plumb it? I have an external pump which I plan to use, and both the barrels are drilled with bulkheads at the bottom.

I will send you pics of the set up I bought. One pump runs it all. you just have to turn different valves to push from one tank to the other.

I will send you pics of the set up I bought. One pump runs it all. you just have to turn different valves to push from one tank to the other.

Cool. I imagine I'll probably end up just doing an order on the parts. Once all is said and done, I'll add a "T" to my drain or return and hook it up so I can just plug in a hose and be done with bucket brigade.

Is there a float valve that works like the first one pictured vs. the second one?

d95a66cc2863c1f67b34cac59a1992a9.jpg

Ok, so that picture is sideways, they are meant to be barrels, with the respective float valves at the top or top side.

Ours is set up pretty much the same we have two float valves in the RO/DI they are on the side towards the top with about three inches between them. They sure do make life a lot easier. Sending you a couple pics call me and we can explain the set up

Edited by Cheshireboxers

Bump.

Looking for pictures of how it's setup and works. Also, anybody have any ideas about the float valve I'm asking about? I found one, but it was priced at $150. No thanks.

Would like to start plumbing this weekend so I can begin mixing up water.

Isaac...there are float valves like that, Reef Angel sells them. I have them not being used but they are of no use to you unless you want to hook them up to a controller. I suspect you are looking for one that is tied to the JG tubing, which is tied to an ASOV on your RODI...??? I bet you can find some on the web...

Check RC. There is a water mixing station thread w/ a whole bunch of pics of setups w/ 2 barrels at the same height w/ an external and valves like epleeds is describing. You just have to draw/plan it out.

I don't think a float valve in the side of one of the tanks will take much room up. There is a lot of space between the tanks since they are circular. A lot cheaper that $150!

Isaac...there are float valves like that, Reef Angel sells them. I have them not being used but they are of no use to you unless you want to hook them up to a controller. I suspect you are looking for one that is tied to the JG tubing, which is tied to an ASOV on your RODI...??? I bet you can find some on the web...

Check RC. There is a water mixing station thread w/ a whole bunch of pics of setups w/ 2 barrels at the same height w/ an external and valves like epleeds is describing. You just have to draw/plan it out.

Here is one:

http://autotopoff.com/products/SS1/

You will have to mod it though. Perhaps tie it to a solenoid.

Thanks, Jack!

I don't think a float valve in the side of one of the tanks will take much room up. There is a lot of space between the tanks since they are circular. A lot cheaper that $150!

Yeah, just wanted to drill in the lid vs the barrel, want as much water as possible in each barrel.

What is the diameter of the cap? Thinking out of the box, but what if you made a heavy duty pvc or acrylic scaffolding attached to the underside of the cap and mounted a regular float valve to it and put the tubing through the cap? Not sure if you can squeeze it in that space, though.

What is the diameter of the cap? Thinking out of the box, but what if you made a heavy duty pvc or acrylic scaffolding attached to the underside of the cap and mounted a regular float valve to it and put the tubing through the cap? Not sure if you can squeeze it in that space, though.

This is a good idea. Look at the images from autotopoff.com. Instead of the metal bar, use a pvc pipe that you attach to the cap or something at the top. But use a traditional float.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

This is a good idea. Look at the images from autotopoff.com. Instead of the metal bar, use a pvc pipe that you attach to the cap or something at the top. But use a traditional float.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yeah, but he wants it cap mounted, not side mounted.

Oops! sorry, did not catch that with the first drawing. You could always mount it to something that is attached to the top so it is mounted sideways. Like a large upside down "L" bracket.

Oops! sorry, did not catch that with the first drawing. You could always mount it to something that is attached to the top so it is mounted sideways. Like a large upside down "L" bracket.

+1 on the L bracket mounted to the underneath of the lid. 

+1 on the L bracket mounted to the underneath of the lid. 

Isaac, see my link to autotopoff.com above. The "L" bracket is there.

I'm not sure that putting the floats on the lid is a good idea. Semi permanent mounting on the side should result in fewer problems, even if you lose a little volume.

Let's say you decide to use a float switch on the top and hang a separate line for incoming RODI. You'll either need to have the cap on the entire time it is filling or muck with the float to fool it.

In the end, I don't think it is worth losing a very few gallons. The top of those tanks necks down very quickly.

--

Warren

Oops, I just realized that you probably aren't going to set it up like how I envisioned it, so my comments may not apply. However, for the RODI container, take into account that you are losing very little volume percentage wise by going side mount. The containers neck down very quickly.

other thing you cuold use is a pressure switch much like the avast skimmate locker and or ato....one hole and done...could glue it in there or use some zip ties.