Plumbing / 'Fuge Questions

LCDRDATA

I'm hoping for help on two semi-related issues. First, the plumbing. I have two tanks with CPR overflows (a 55 FOWLR with a CS50 and my 75 DT with a CS100/102). I want to re-do the plumbing and connect to the threaded exterior of the bulkhead on each of these boxes; however, I can't seem to find anywhere that gives the size the bulkhead in terms of what I need. In other words, I'm looking for what size female coupler / adapter I need to connect the threaded bulkhead with the piping going downstream. It could be threaded / slip or threaded / threaded. I also know the CS50 inner diameter is 1/4" less than the on the other CPR boxes, but I'm not certain if that's true for the exterior threads. I don't want to disassemble the plumbing until I'm ready to proceed to completion, and can't figure out another way to determine the sizes I'm looking for. Does anyone out there know? I wish I could just drill the tanks, but they're tempered so that's not an option.  :mad:

Second, the fuge. Recently I've noticed my chaeto isn't growing like it used to, although the GHA in the tank itself I need to knock back periodically tells me the nutrients are there. It seem that some of it develops bubbles (probably oxygen, which ought to be a good thing), floats to the surface, and then shades the rest of the growing area. What lighting cycles are folks using (x hours/day, concurrent or counter-cycle to main lighting)? Also, does anyone run additional circulation / flow in their 'fuge beyond the regular through flow? I've seen the "swirling ball of chaeto" videos, and while it's certainly attractive at one level I suspect the 'pods would be less thrilled. 

So, I'm wide open to the collective wisdom of WAMAS. Thanks in advance! :bluefish:

Edited by LCDRDATA

As far as plumbing im not familiar with those overflows. Id say buy alot of extra parts and sizes and just return what you dont use if you want to do it all at the same time.

My cheato tumbles and i use a 30w halogen bulb on a reverse light cycle. My blues turn on at 8 am off at 5pm and the fuge light runs 5pm to 8 am. The cheato grows like crazy and i have green hair that grows in my fuge maybe because the halogen light spectrum? All i know is it stays out of the display so im happy with how my setup is for now

Edited by John Ford

I'd thought about the "extra parts" approach but both time and money are tight right now so I didn't want to go that route. 

Do you have an extra source of flow to tumble your cheato (small powerhead, etc.) or is the flow through enough to move it? Do 'pods like it or do you have just the cheato? Thanks!

My return pump is dialed back. So I decided to use that extra flow recirculating my sump water. Before my return gate valve i added a tee with another gate valve to a 1/2" barb fitting. Its there if I ever want to hook up my reactor and for now i have a 1/2" hose going to my skimmer section increasing the flow across the cheato section.

As far as the pods are concerened im not sure how many make it past my pumps so I've never personally been concerned if they mind tumbling or not. I throw so many away everytime i harvest my cheato its something I stopped thinking about

My return pump is dialed back. So I decided to use that extra flow recirculating my sump water ... As far as the pods are concerened im not sure how many make it past my pumps so I've never personally been concerned if they mind tumbling or not. I throw so many away everytime i harvest my cheato its something I stopped thinking about

OK, so you do have additional flow, and if you're throwing away that many pods they apparently don't mind it too much. 

As far as i know, the hob overflow is using the 1" pipe. If it is then you can make a trip to Lowes. They carry more variety of pipe and fitting than home depot.

As far as refugium, i used to have the thicker string of cheato and it is growing very slow. Than I added the thinner string of cheato and these kind is growing like a weed.  I also have about 250gph of water go thru it.

hope it helps.