Gyre Owners - Feedback

ReeferMadness

Jaebo bit the bullet after exactly 1 year of use on 100% pulse mode + never cleaned(not bad). Randomly stopped working one day then my anems started dancing around. Great time to replace with a new Maxspect Grye, "riptide", gyro whatever. 

Running on my 240 lps tank but my thoughts are mixed. What do the rest of you folks think about the results or ownerships of the new pump.

Im running

- 30% pulse mode with 1.5 sec delay.

- And running another jaebo the same direction but angled 45% to the return current for turbulence at pulse mode 100%.

- The intake of the Gyre is TOO strong and pulls more then it pushes in my opinion. The bottom 3/4 of the tank becomes a slipstream of current.

- The water disturbence at < 50% power does not make it past 4 feet. Dead spot at the 5 ft mark at the top. Turning it past the 50% does hit 6ft and causes "vortex" but starts ripping up a sandstorm and etc. 

Whats your setting?

- Still running other pumps?

- tank size?

- Corals condition?

- What settings are you running on what size tank?

- What angle are you turning your fins too?

- Sand bottom? or coral or bare?

- Any relocation of corals or moving rocks?

- Wow, its loud after 60% mode - does it break in after a bit and quite down.. mine did a little.. i think or i went def.

- have you tried the alt gyre blades, etc?

thanks

I love the pump, 100% satisfied. You may need two on a large tank. I've found the area just below the pump gets very little flow. I run two of them on my 240 at opposite ends of the tank and they alternate every hour. 

*No other pumps.

*240g 60x36x25

*Corals are great. LPS look better with more PE. Too soon to tell any differences in the acros.

*Constant speed mode at approx 40%. My pumps oppose one another and they reverse flow every hour. 

*Sand bottom, mostly aragonite. 

*No relocation of corals whatsoever. 

*I don't run mine high enough to hear any noise. My display is silent and sump/equip is in the basement so I would notice any noise from the pumps.

*No, I haven't swapped any rotors or housings around. Haven't seen a need to yet. Maybe if I was running them in reverse mode I would. 

My settings:

- Still running other pumps? NO

- tank size?

Shallow 80 (48x24x16)

Running 10-20% pulse (5 seconds, but still playing with the timing some) I am hopeful that the advanced controller will allow ramp up and down... as I would love to run low speed with a short high speed burst every so often..

Mine are aimed at 45 degree toward surface

Shallow sandbed, fiji pink

Moved a few things around.. nems moved after I added pump.. away from flow.. it's way strong across the top and bottom of tank..

- Wow, its loud after 60% mode - does it break in after a bit and quite down..

there is a thread on R2R or RC about the need to deburr the inside of one piece and it significantly reduces the noise up to 80% or so... I'm running mine low speed so it's quiet..

I tried the BB configuration and it's ok, like the alternating, but didn't seem to get the same wide gyre effect, which is understandable since only half the pump is pushing at a time...

Here is a short video on 10% in my tank... I would like to figure out how to get more flow under the pump without blasting the other side or adding another pump...

(edited)

thanks for your replies! love to get more feedback coming in as we move forwards with new pump

- The DIY hack to scrub the fan blade is genious
"there is a thread on R2R or RC about the need to deburr the inside of one piece and it significantly reduces the noise up to 80% or so"

- ended up putting my jaebo wp40 on the other side in wave mode 100% and it evened out some of current for my lps. Also ended up being able to crank it up to 50% without sandstorm with the jaebo on the other side.

Will try rotating the vents and see if that adjust the current any more.

Nice vid, ill post mine after work.

Edited by ReeferMadness

• 3 months later...

Any longer term thoughts from people that are using the Gyres? Looking at maybe replacing my MP40 this summer and I was wondering what peoples longer term thoughts were on these now that we're coming up on 6 months with them now.

I think that, thus far, these are the reports that we've had since introduction:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/71654-maxspect-gyre-experiences/

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/70824-broke-my-new-maxspect-gyre-already

This does not include other, more recent thoughts that others haven't posted here yet. But, since it's likely that such information will get scattered about, I may as well point to these as well.

Any longer term thoughts from people that are using the Gyres? Looking at maybe replacing my MP40 this summer and I was wondering what peoples longer term thoughts were on these now that we're coming up on 6 months with them now.

Funny u ask. Was just readjusting my pumps last night. Gyre is doing good. Maybe 10% loss of power since day one with no cleaning. Run it opposite to my drains with two jaebos 40 in wave mode. It's been difficult to find the right flow for lps heavy tank. My sps/chalice love it. Functiionaly it's good , for me so so.

I've been running XF130 for a little over a month and it's great. 

Whats your setting?

- Still running other pumps?

Just my return, which is pretty powerful for this size tank (about 30x turnover)

- tank size?

20G (18"x18"x16")

- Corals condition?

LPS & softies have grown accustomed to it; all of my SPS are extended, happy and growing. I have a stylo right in front of the outlet and the PE on it is insane

I have the unit mounted vertical in the back rear corner. I'm using the A-A paddle combination, in Alternating Gyre mode with 50% forward and 30% backward

Forward motion angle is a few degrees from being parallel with the side glass, the backward motion angle is similarly positioned in relation to the false wall

Using CaribSea Aragonite sea floor grade; it got kicked up a bit in the begging but has settled down; I did add a couple of small pieces of LR to keep craters from forming in the corners of the tank

see above

- Wow, its loud after 60% mode - does it break in after a bit and quite down.. mine did a little.. i think or i went def.

Mine ran sort of loud at the beginning but is dead silent now. The only time mine is loud is if something gets into the cage.

Yes, see above. Love it.

There's something off between the durability of the paddles and the sensitivity of the error notification. I had a dwarf cerith get in there and it broke the paddle.