Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

Sacrifice 3-4 inches in height and redo the stand using 2x8's and moved added 2 posts closer together for a 5' span instead of 6.6'.

Laminated 3 strips of 8" plywood together and attached to the 2x8's. I think this should be plenty to support the distributed weight of the tanks.

IMG_2853_zpsd9f66ceb.jpg

IMG_2854_zps0f8b475e.jpg

Master electrician is suppose to come by today and install 3 lines for the tanks. One line will be connect to the manual backup generator.  

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Chuck!  If I could make a recommendation it would be to use 5/8" drywall.  This will really cut down on the sound transmission.

Also, if you want a clean edge around the tank use a "J bead" like this:

http://www.ebuildingproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=PC-201-50

Edited by BowieReefer84

Looks great!.  Again I am not an engineer so don't take my advice:

My Advice: Add some diagonal bracing sideways from the 4 x 4 posts. Either add a sheet of plywood  (skin in) and/ or more diagonal bracing on the ends to help with sheer forces. On the front wall add more 2 x 4's to double them up. I enjoy a little overkill and no worries.

Looks great!.  Again I am not an engineer so don't take my advice:

My Advice: Add some diagonal bracing sideways from the 4 x 4 posts. Either add a sheet of plywood  (skin in) and/ or more diagonal bracing on the ends to help with sheer forces. On the front wall add more 2 x 4's to double them up. I enjoy a little overkill and no worries.

Thanks for the suggestion. I planned to add bracing once I figure how to use my saw to cut the 45 degrees.

Something like this is cheap and give you options about $6.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kapro-7-in-T-Bevel-with-Stainless-Steel-Blade-301-01/204262492

Or a carpenter's triangle will give you 45's all day long. Just go in your local hardware store and ask some one what the options are for a tool to measure angles.

If you had a mitre table saw it will do it for you.

Something like this is cheap and give you options about $6.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kapro-7-in-T-Bevel-with-Stainless-Steel-Blade-301-01/204262492

Or a carpenter's triangle will give you 45's all day long. Just go in your local hardware store and ask some one what the options are for a tool to measure angles.

If you had a mitre table saw it will do it for you.

Thanks Ken!

I have the triangle and miter saw.

I see you found a way to cut the 45's! that should help brace it. I bet it is pretty stable now.

I see you found a way to cut the 45's! that should help brace it. I bet it is pretty stable now.

Yeah! I look closer to my miter saw and found the angle settings. :)

I hasn't use it for many many years.

I have a 93 rimless tank! I know people put stylofoam under rimless tank. I don't see a large piece of stylo @ home depot. Only see the 48x15" pieces. Can I use multiple pieces for my tank or do I really need one single piece. Also, can I use the pink insulation instead?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 93 rimless tank! I know people put stylofoam under rimless tank. I don't see a large piece of stylo @ home depot. Only see the 48x15" pieces. Can I use multiple pieces for my tank or do I really need one single piece. Also, can I use the pink insulation instead?

I went with the Foam Factory at the recommendation of another member. Prices were decent and they had a large selection to choose from. I believe he used 1/2 neoprene and I went with 3/8" neoprene (4' tank). 

I went with the Foam Factory at the recommendation of another member. Prices were decent and they had a large selection to choose from. I believe he used 1/2 neoprene and I went with 3/8" neoprene (4' tank). 

Thanks! I just use the 1/2 in foam insulation. Searched around and found that many people used them with no issue. 

Was bidding on ebay for a nice overflow box for my 93 cube, but some sneaky smarty swiped it in the last second.

So I decided to diy one using a used sump acrylic baffle that I removed from a sump.

Not great, but not too bad considering I had to use a circular saw since I don't have a fine teeth blade on my table saw.

My diy 1/2" clear acrylic overflow box:

5426b6dd-455e-4335-9a7d-2811f9811019_zps

Was there a lot of chipping or is it just the image? I'll be doing this next week for the first time and am a bit nervous. 

Yes, those are minor chips on the inside of the holes. You suppose to take it slow at the very end in order to get smoother edge. 

My problem is I am using impact drill. I recently bought new impact drills and unfortunately I got rid of my old one. IMO, impact is too muck for this application.

If you have a regular drill  you should be fine. But most of the time you will get a small chip at the end, it is perfectly fine since the bulkhead will cover it anyway. I decided to do it my myself and partially dry drilling (I dripped water down with a wet paper towel). If you put your on the side and wet drilling, it is much better and easier.  Also, make sure your tank is not tempered before you drill! 

Was there a lot of chipping or is it just the image? I'll be doing this next week for the first time and am a bit nervous.

Let the drill do the work, lots of water. Like chuck mentioned, on the side is better. If you can get plumbers putty, make a dam around it to keep it wet. It's pretty easy, just mentally tough, like slicing a $500 nem.

Looks good chuck! Coming along with some speed now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(edited)

Let the drill do the work, lots of water. Like chuck mentioned, on the side is better. If you can get plumbers putty, make a dam around it to keep it wet. It's pretty easy, just mentally tough, like slicing a $500 nem.

Snowed in so I have a little bit of time to work with the build. Sorting out my old plumbing supplies and see what else I needed to buy. Hopefully plumped by next week.

My plan is to fill up the tanks this weekend to see if my stand support the weight. If collapsed, I am done!

Edited by flooddc

LOL I just posted about the same items on Weazl's thread.