seahorse conservancy farm

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started selling seahorses online and at reef escape, go to there shop and you will be surprised how good looking and active they are,. Hoping the horses will pay for the conservancy's next acrylic tank to breed big bellies in, glass won't do on a chilled tank. Next we need to apply for a permit to plant seagrass.

I saw some at Reef eScape last week! Looked very cool, along with their jellyfish tanks. Really cool looking and they said they would work well for seahorses since the circulation in in a circle and it would move the food around gently.

orbit20_with_jellys1.jpgImageForBrochure.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

picked up this tank from D.C. reefer what a great guy, I will set it up for breeding pairs of big bellies, man i am worried about my hammerhead gold pump failing soon,and only 6 months old. I wil ask Phil from reef escape what to buy, and it sure wont be from reef flow, my pair of big bellies is only 7 months old but dan underwood has some older ones waiting for me , I hate for them to have to feed them for me so I will go fast, hoping that crappy pump lasts another week

DCtank

• 2 weeks later...

Walt- Not sure what is up with your pump. My new Hammerhead is very quiet (for moving 6000gph) . Ask Rob.

Edited by DuffyGeos

thats good to hear, maybe i got a lemon but it pumps, need to get another one so i have a spare but first another chiller hey i only landscape 2 houses big ones and i love it but they are calling allready, its like wet man, but setting all winter we need to get moving again spring is here.  

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

the end of this short video shows the horses i have raised. In about 6 weeks I will release many of them into the bay because that's what i do every spring, and its working. 

Edited by Origami
Advertising....

by working i mean getting them used to the water low salinity and spring temp, so far I allway's bring them back home but they are ready, in bay they eat amphipods i colect them and put them in the tank at night so they live in the sand and grass, in florida and mississippi they have released way more the 10 million fish, strippers, red snapper, spotted trout, snook, red drum, cobia, the breed them all for sports fishing , some  are against it but kits the trend, in the bay we put in geneticly enginered oyster spat anyway look at this video, im waiting on lots of shelfish and seahorse permits it takes time,

">

V.M.R.C. is helping us to breed and release seahorses into the wild, they will be making sure I don't mess up selecting the breeding pairs maybe from the York river wow what could be better then this, they also helped us get more then 130 acres of oyster beds,  Va. what a great state. got $100 of donations today it helps, you all know how much this stuff can cost

• 1 month later...

this is the start of the breed and release, rtelles from wamas donated the tank stand and filter, we are netting grass shrimp to freeze as fish food, do the members know that you can catch these and many many other things local? I keep 100 shrimp alive as food treats for trigger and seahorses love there babies, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM2k0k28Rb4&feature=youtu.be

Very cool video Walt. That is amazing you can net that many grass shrimp right off the shore.

and even more amphipods but how to collect them? I can stir up the sand and net them with a small net takes a bit of time to get a cup. so there must be a better way, the girl is my  niece and dive partner she will be a marine biologist next year, she counts the pods part time , $ 10 dollars per hour for a P.H.D. well it would not look  good for a nonprofit to run an outboard in the muck then into a net but?  the little brown crabs are so cute they never get bigger then 3/4" try to get them next weekend but doing something for chesapeake bay foundation going to ruin the weekend, did all the spring clean up for my 2 landscaping clients feel great but some how hurt my left knee so staying home a few days , ugh being old is like keeping an old car running oh yea the frozen shrimp look just like what we buy but free!!!  

this is a better video. you tube just sent me $271.71 I gave it to the conservancy. look at the Widgeon grass its saltwater underwater and grows in sand seems to be growing and sending out shoots and branchs, the next video will be about the little brown crab, I dont think the tank is ready for seagrass yet maybe in 2 weeks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXYu2bjrxc&feature=youtu.be

• 2 weeks later...