Gyrate the Gyre

ridetheducati

Saw one on IC's display tank today. It moves a lot of water and takes up very little real estate. Definitely a nice looking device so far.

We see a lot of questions on the new gyres.  There apparently aren't many videos of them running on a true reef/display so many don't know what to expect.  We had one on display on one of our frag tanks at the social, but when we moved it to the display tank it really showed what it could do.

Here's a short video of the new gyre working on our display.  Previously our display had a single WP60 on the left wall.  I really like the small footprint of the gyre in comparison for sure.  Our display is 69x19x23 and I would consider it pretty rockwork heavy.  The sandbed in the front looks decently wide, but this is due to most of the rockwork backing up all the way to the back wall.  This could certainly create quite a few flow obstructions.

In the video the gyre is operating on a steady 100% forward direction.  You can even see the zenia on the opposite side of the tank being pushed TOWARDS the gyre which sits on the left wall at the top.  No other powerheads are in the tank so this is only being caused by the gyre's flow rotation.  Nice.  

These pumps are exceptionally versatile.  By changing to matching A-A impeller's (included in the box) this gyre can handle systems far far larger than our display.  It can REALLY move!!  And I mean that literally as putting it in alternating gyre mode caused a sandstorm that displaced almost 1/3 of the sand on the left side of our display.  In the brief period I let it run at this silly rate of power I could even see sand being PULLED off the sandbed and through the two arches/caves on the right half of the tank.  Way more power in full out mode than this display can handle.

But the great thing about this gyre is it's versatility.  Being able to turn down the flow rate, reverse the flow alternately, change the impellers, change the direction each impeller is aimed, etc.. all adds up to a pump that can work on a very large variety of tank volumes and setups.

• 5 weeks later...

I got one. It moves water forward well but in reverse it doesn't move much water at all. I am not sure if I have the cages dialed right. It moves water straight forward and in reverse moves water on a 45 degree angle downward. I have it set with three or 4 lights on the forward mode and all them on reverse. I haven't had a change to play with the other settings.