Ghost overflow alternative

AlanM

was gonnna show you this i knew you wanted one lol your to fast though.

I found a custom solution, good looks though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome.  I love these things and wish they were around 2 years ago.  There will definitely be one on my next build.

Awesome.  I love these things and wish they were around 2 years ago.  There will definitely be one on my next build.

Glad to hear! If you come to MACNA you will see them first hand in action!

• 2 months later...

Since the reef savvy ghost overflow seems to be unobtainable...

I was on the phone with Felix from Reef Savvy today. He's donating a bunch of stuff for the MACNA raffle, including a tank, a new sump design that'll knock everybody's socks off, and... yes... a Ghost Overflow.

I had a custom overflow made from Modular Marine and I absolutely love it.  The quality is great. The price was reasonable and the order was filed quickly.   I am cycling my tank now and do not have the skimmer running yet but this overflow plumbed as a Bean Animal is dead silent.   

Can you get them without teeth?  I'd like better surface skimming and a higher flow rate.

Modular Marine made mine custom so I would imagine that they could do just about anything you design. 

That's really interesting looking.  So you're using the left half of one and the right half of another to get water into the single external box. 

The tank has a huge glass center brace that would have limited maintainace of the internal overflow so I seperated them.   I didnt want to run 2 seperate externals so I had it made long enough to tie both into one.   It seems to be working well thus far.   Tank is cycling now and still have plenty of work to do.    I also had lids made to help prevent creatures from taking a ride to the sump.   

That's a good use of making it custom. I ran into a similar problem when I had my Aquabox one created, due to the spacing of 1.5" bulkheads equally spaced across the back of the tank. The glass Eurobrace on the tank made it particularly nice because the internal overflow ran flush with the top, creating a cage that nothing smaller than the weirs could get through.

I ended up rocking one of these through ModularMarine on Ebay, on the DSA 105, and was incredibly satisfied with them. They use some proper acrylic, and everything was nicely constructed. At the end of the day, the Ghost Overflow is better looking, but the price tag reflects that. Also, at the end of the day, they all get the job done exactly the same way. I went with cheaper, and would probably do it again, you (and fellow aquarists) are going to be the only people who pay attention to the "guts" of the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Well MACNA is getting very close. We have our latest version (same as before, just different rear box height and color scheme) that will be on display and running. Here are some photos of it. Looking forward to meeting everyone and explaining what makes ours different and why they cost a little more. One reason is R&D, we spent years testing this design and it is built for longevity. The ebay one especially is notorious for warping after a few months. We have had a lot of customers switching to ours after finding out the hard way. We do not skimp on materials or assembly. I am a avid reefer like you guys and like to save a buck or 100 bucks when I can as well, but in the end this is the main piece of equipment that links your life support system under your tank to the tank. So if you have one fail then the money saved may be lost elsewhere. Just my thoughts. Being in the hobby for over 25 years I could tell you stories all day long about cheap equipment failures that I have had. 

Front_zpszgmfzoij.jpg

Most important part, Rear polycarbonate lid (black to keep out algae growth) 

side%20shot_lid_zps1xwxq7wx.jpg

Rear4_zps3ilj6mwt.jpg

Well MACNA is getting very close. We have our latest version (same as before, just different rear box height and color scheme) that will be on display and running. Here are some photos of it. Looking forward to meeting everyone and explaining what makes ours different and why they cost a little more.

It looks fresh, no doubt it's an awesome overflow!

One reason is R&D, we spent years testing this design and it is built for longevity. The ebay one especially is notorious for warping after a few months. We have had a lot of customers switching to ours after finding out the hard way.

I'm not an expert, so I look forward to chatting with you about it if I get a chance, but I have a hard time understanding how 1/4" Cell Cast Acrylic warps after a few months? I am glad I did not have to find out the hard way, but perhaps the alternatives we are going with are a little bit better quality than the other Ebay ones you're speaking of?