How much time to maintain your tank?

sen5241b

How much time does it take to tend your tank?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do you spend on average per day tending your tank?

• Approximately 10 minutes
    • Approximately 20 minutes
    • Approximately 30 minutes
    • Approximately 45 minutes
    • Approximately 1 hour
    • Well over an hour per day

On average how much time do you spend maintaining your tank per day? If you have multiple tanks include time to maintain them all.

Edited by sen5241b

Recently, 10 minutes a day, tops, but I've been neglecting. Used to be double that. Check skimmer, clean glass, feed fish, observe all corals and fish conditions (fish count) check ATO.

I still have to work out the kinks with my Apex controller before I am comfortable leaving the two-part alone. Maybe I should have went with a calcium reactor :huh:

Per day is one thing, how much on the weekends is another, I work from home so checking both tanks 55 & 16 is 5 min. including hand dosing my 16g...yes I know I have 2 dosers but I have not set them up yet.

Evening is probably 5 min for feeding and checking on ATO and skimmers.

Weekends may be 30 min to 1 hour if I am cleaning or messing around. Every 6 months is probably a 5 hour day.

Screwing around on this website........welll.... on and off all day as it is running in the back ground and I probably check it once an hour for a mental break.

Soooooo...I probably waste an hour a day total from 6a till 11p looking at stuff. I am the boss, so no I don't get in trouble. :cool:

Edited by DuffyGeos

Now that my tank is on "autopilot".. less than 10min a day.  Probably 2-5min to be more accurate.

Having a controller for the tank, and swabbie/locker combo for my skimmer really takes a lot of the maintenance out.

I spend much less than 10 minutes a day on my tank. I haven't cleaned the viewing surfaces since July 19th.

That's because you are not growing corals, only fish. Different amount of light (just to see the fish), and your water quality does not have to be as good without corals. :laugh:

I like them both, so I am willing to spend a little more time to grow corals. Otherwise, you may be smarter then the rest of us! :laugh:

I just do a 15 gallon water change each week and clean the glass, other than that, I don't touch the tank.

About 10-15 per day just checking on things and maybe 1 hour per week. Getting less and less the more it matures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An hour a night. Keeps me away from the wife and putting the kids to bed. 3 tanks. I say I can't hear her over the running water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude! you got to help put your kids to bed! You will regret it one day when they are teenagers and you can't do it anymore! :laugh:  

Dude! you got to help put your kids to bed! You will regret it one day when they are teenagers and you can't do it anymore! :laugh:

I'm already kicking myself in the ass with going to school, Teaching a class, Working, and my basement. My kids 9 months now and I feel like I missing out. my only saving grace is all but work is coming to an end soon

And to add to this thread about 5 minutes a day and a couple hours on a weekend day

i spend 2 hours on water-change day (once every 7-10 days)..

on the daily i spend not more than 5 minutes on either:

• feeding
  • filling up auto top off reservoir
  • empty out and clean skimmer cup
  • switch out filter floss a lot (buy in bulk, don't let what it collects break back down into the water)
  • cleaning glass

1 little thing a day goes a long way!

I am sure if I really added up everything I do each day for the tank it would be closer to an hour. But I only plan for ~30 minutes/day (feeding, removing algae/turkey bastering slime, etc)

I am sure if I really added up everything I do each day for the tank it would be closer to an hour. But I only plan for ~30 minutes/day (feeding, removing algae/turkey bastering slime, etc)

That's why I asked on average how much time per day. when you add it all up excluding the initial setup time.

I'm the odd man out over an hour a day. But my 2 year nitrate battle is finally on a down hill slope I believe I might be able to enjoy the hobby again.

When all is going well I spend 5minutes a day.

1 hr a week on water change and various maintenance

an extra 1hr monthly when I go swimming( cleaning the viewing surfaces)

When all is going well I spend 5minutes a day.

1 hr a week on water change and various maintenance

an extra 1hr monthly when I go swimming( cleaning the viewing surfaces)

When I overdose my tank.....just a little more time :huh:

on my own tank, I clean the glass about 2x per month-and still grow coral. I'm about 2 mins or less each day and 1 hour 2x per month.

maintenance tanks only get serviced weekly, bi weekly, or monthly. 

You'd be surprised at how little work is required to have a smooth running tank.