Running Evergrows - how long?

edress714

Hey guys, loving the feedback from everyone. I really appreciate all the help. Learning so much everyday.

So my tank (55 gallon) is running two evergrows. How many hours should I be leaving them on and what combination should I be having them?

I have these frags

Zoa

Gsp

2 mushrooms

Neon green trumpet

There are a ton of factors on the intensity question unfortunatly can't be answered. The factors: water clairity, how close LED fixtures are mounted together, distance from water to fixture, optic degree used, how many ripples are on water, etc. some people run theirs at 100% and claim it's not enough light. I run my whites at 25% and blues at 50%

Hey guys, loving the feedback from everyone. I really appreciate all the help. Learning so much everyday.

So my tank (55 gallon) is running two evergrows. How many hours should I be leaving them on and what combination should I be having them?

I have these frags

Zoa

Gsp

2 mushrooms

Neon green trumpet

I would recommend getting yourself on the par meeter List.  That way you can test but keep in mind with LED lights its harder to get accurate reading because of the way they work.  For example when you test in 1 spot 1" over may show up differently.  That being said you get a good idea of the lighting your tank receive if you take several reading at that level.  Then decide what coral you want then placement of that coral then you can figure out what you need to set it at.  Sounds complicated but its not.  As to the first question of how long to be honest the Blue does not really matter.  I leave it on for viewing about 1-2 hours before and after whites go off.  Whites I would do no more than 5 hours of light as most corals zooxanthelae can only absorb and convert so much light.  After that it can be counter productive as it overworks the coral.  Others may disagree but that is how I have mine setup.  Hope that helps.  All of the frags you listed need low light so they should be placed near the sand bed.  

Thanks for the replies. So after all the lighting I can turn the lights off completely? They all normally go "to sleep" until I turn the lights on again right? Just don't want to over light or under light them ( if that makes any sense lol)

I keep my blues on for 9 hours at 75% and my whites come on 1.5 Hours after my blues then go off 1.5 Hours before my blues at night keep my whites at 50%....

12 inches from the top of my water, 24inch depth of tank...zoas and mushrooms all happy on the bottom

They key is acclimation. Nothing you have is super frail, so no matter what you do, you should be fine. W

When I was in your boat, same corals and lights, I ran my channels starting at 20/20. I slowly put them up every day by 3 step intervals, until I reached somewhere around 70/80. It was over cautious on my part, and unnecessary, just slowly take it up until you find the color combo you like to look at. I always assume if I'm going to run something, might as well run it at 100%, so I try and get as close to that as possible, JMO. Also, your water quality will be far more important in the long run, especially if you want to start keeping any SPS.

Fwiw, i just took par measurements off of my evergrow rig and all I can say is these things are pretty powerful.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170408

10 inches from center of fixture at 18"

87d94417c2c16baeab0bc84b1a28330e.jpg

7 inches from center at 18"

06e51bd1ea46c5f523097a0d0b0f1cca.jpg

Up to 1400-1500 at waterline and from 15-388 at the sandbed!

00448a36bcbba8035a26ad19d5be3225.jpg

I was so overrunning these lights :) So glad to have hacked them for controlled dimming.

Have been running two Evergrow IT2040's with custom LED configuration, over a 120 gal. mostly SPS tank, since January 2013. Started at about 20% and ramped up to 100% over the first couple of weeks as I recall. After that I switched to the default factory mode at half-hour steps. Total cycle is 16 hours. Takes 6 hours to ramp up to 100% blue and white, first three hours are blue only,; then its at 100% for 4 hours; then ramps down to 0ff over the next 6 hours, the last three blue only. Haven't done any PAR measurements, but verything grows very well.

Thanks for the chart, Lee. That's very informative. I run 1 D120 about 10" above the water line with whites at around 50% and blues at around 70%. Both channels are only on for 6 hrs with the blues an additional hour on each end. The light cycle is a balance between when I'm home, coral growth versus algae growth. It is growing every SPS I have put in so far (most are in the middle half of the tanks height). I have not had cyano for about 1 year (had 2 cyano periods at 4th month and then at 6 months) but do have bubble and a bit of hair. Tank is roughly 18 months old. All par for the course. I have never used PO4 removers.

There's no right answer. It's an experiment based on each persons tank setup and inhabitants.

i run mine about 15' from the water line and use the program i got from RC ReefBreeders site. Mine peaks at 85% (blue) 65% (white) for 3 hours using 3 IT 2060 on my 220gallon tank then ramps back down. I am getting awesome growth from mid tank and up .  i have zero algae growth in the DT, i also run bio-pellets and UV sterilizer

i run mine about 15' from the water line and use the program i got from RC ReefBreeders site. Mine peaks at 85% (blue) 65% (white) for 3 hours using 3 IT 2060 on my 220gallon tank then ramps back down. I am getting awesome growth from mid tank and up .  i have zero algae growth in the DT, i also run bio-pellets and UV sterilizer

Dang 15 feet above the tank, that's one powerful light.  :)

is there something I can get to have them on a timer since this one doesnt have a timer? thanks

Your Evergrow light doesn't have a timer? Is it one of the old D120s?

Where is Aldie? I have an old 8 prong powerstrip with timers for 4 that you can have. I'm in Arlington, VA. Or Ikea has them for $2 a pop. I think I have some of those ikea ones as well.