Wall Thickness for metal reef stand

YHSublime

Alright WAMAS.

I'm getting ready to have a metal stand built, and I'm wondering about the wall size. I'm planning on using 1.5" box, and was thinking for the wall thickness that 1/8 would be good. It was recommended that 0.83 wall might also do the trick and be considerably lighter. Anybody out there have some advice?

The stand will be 6' long, 18" deep, and 40" tall. It will have 6 legs for extra added support. Those are the exact same dimensions as my 150 gallon reef that will sit exactly on the ledge.

Thanks in advance for the help!

you mean for the magnetically attached panels around the stand?  You don't need strength in them, I guess.  Are they going to be metal or wood or acrylic?  Maybe put that foam eggcrate stuff inside for sound deadening?

I think he means the thickness of the steel in the square steel tube. isaac, is that right? sadly, i can't help either way

40 tall. Nice! Sorry I have no insight on that. But sweet dimension

Thanks! It's about time I have something that will house my CS3 skimmer cup under the stand vs. on the side!

you mean for the magnetically attached panels around the stand?  You don't need strength in them, I guess.  Are they going to be metal or wood or acrylic?  Maybe put that foam eggcrate stuff inside for sound deadening?

Nope, I don't. I mean the wall thickness of the steel.

I say go with 6'x24" and get the 180. :)

Great idea, however, the space I'm looking at will be limited, and I would rather keep what I have than go nuts trying to find a good deal on a 180 in between moving.

I think he means the thickness of the steel in the square steel tube. isaac, is that right? sadly, i can't help either way

Yes, that is correct.

I'd go with 3/16" or 1/4". We have numerous stands made from 1/4" box. You can get screws and such to hold firmly. On another note- the magnets tend to rust and fail if there is any salt spray whatsoever.

Square tube weld and ground flush?  I think 1/8" wall is plenty. Your stand is about 50 linear feet of material, it will weight about 117 lbs.

The most critical piece is the two 6' pieces directly under the aquarium. You have a post in the middle so that's good. 

If you're worried about structure just make the 4 horizontal pieces directly under the aquarium rectangular tube with the height being the larger dimension.  That will make those pieces very strong.

I think steel stands are a great idea.  You'll do fine with either 1/8".  Any more is overkill but you can do 3/16" if you want.  I assume you'll have it powder coated and enamel painted?  If so, that will make a great stand.  Steel is pretty cheap these days so I think you can't go wrong with it.

I've built quite a few stands that size and used 1/8" wall square tubing on all of them. It's more than sufficient so long as the proper supports are engineered into the design. 

Here are a couple examples;

Stand1.jpg

I call this one OVERKILL!

photo2copy2.jpg

Some of you may recognize this one

photo-5.jpg

photo1copy-1.jpg

Here's the stand I built for my tank. Used 6" angle iron because I had it laying around. The longest peices are made from rectangular tubing to avoid a vertical suport in the center. 

photo4.jpg

Thanks. Some guys cover them to match the decor of the room and others leave them "naked". I had to cover mine up because it was so hideous. Here is a photo of it once it was skinned. 

photo4-1.jpg

Really great how compact the stand ends up being.  Considering I've botched a few amateur weld jobs in my day I'm really impressed with the care that is required to do the welds and keep the tops flat and the stand square and level as everything cools etc.