building 380 gallon tank

Seahorseconservancy

I have glued the tank, sanded, polished and starting the trim, Avast is supplying filtration, I'm going to start a fancy light rack soon and could use some advice. the tank is for housing 300 erectus sea horses, its a 3 tank system another tank for redie and a complicated baby tank next, not to familiar with wamus but you have helped sell all my seahorses, thanks / walt

380 gallon seahorse tank

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about some of the Evergrow fixtures? Nice looking tank, BTW, look forward to seeing some of your seahorses I keep hearing about.

Awesome looking build, where are you located?

What are you going to keep in it besides seahorses?

300 seahorses..........is that considered a seahorse ranch? :cool:

Following along, I want to see how this turns out.

Edited by DuffyGeos

I've seen a bunch of Walt's seahorses and they are very high quality because he feeds them the expensive foods.  Walt is also a very good craftsman, he made a video of the top trim on the tank and I hope he posts that.

Are those narrow slits on the overflow to keep baby seahorses from slipping through?

I've seen a bunch of Walt's seahorses and they are very high quality because he feeds them the expensive foods.  Walt is also a very good craftsman, he made a video of the top trim on the tank and I hope he posts that.

Are those narrow slits on the overflow to keep baby seahorses from slipping through?

Looks like that is what it is for, then there is a baffle so it looks like the baffle and the long slits allow the water to slowly move through the slits.

Is the tank still not drilled for bulk heads or how are you going to recirculate the water?

its walt I'll look into that light, I only keep a copper banded butterfly fish with the horses, it wont eat the babies , it things its a seahorse, at my brothers house we are working on a big tank for evil fish like clown trigger ect. I don't know how to link my seahorseconservancy youtube? control v does nothing but im new to this wamus never did it much. more light ideas please, I'm in nokesville

post-2633089-0-64313700-1407113506_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful top band of trim.  What kind of wood is it?  I don't know much about lighting so I can't help you there, but there are many on WAMAS who are LED experts.

I'm assuming you aren't putting a canopy on top...so it's easier to get in and out of the tank...

I'm not to familiar with the light needs of seahorses but you could easily bend some piping to hang some lights from....I did one for my 50g tank...using electrical conduit, a pipe bender and then screwed it to the back of my stand with a pipe bracket...easy peasy!

lightbracket.jpg

You could make it high enough to slide the lights out of the way...but I had about 4 inches and rarely needed to move them...

thanks everyone , that's a nice light rack, I want to use wood covered with surfboard epoxy and buff it out , this club is cool

That idea is cool...

Walt,

OK right now I could care less about the tank.......let me see the 57' Chris Craft!!!!:)

the cool stuff has been taken off the boat while I replace the wood skin, the king board bleached blond the rest red restored its fantastic, hope the tank matches the look. After the tank is done I will finish the boat

A chris craft

I have known Walt for almost 30 years.  He is a first class woodworker and craftsman.  He has worked on boats his whole life.  When I met him 30 years ago he had a 55 gallon tank with a queen angelfish that he hand caught in the Florida Keys which got me interested in saltwater tanks.  Whatever he does with his light rack it know it will be custom and beautiful.

help i canceled my subscription so my niece could join as a family member and now nothing works.  It said to cancel my current subscription on PayPal, and I did, but the WAMAs membership page still said I needed to cancel, even though I already did.   You will all like her and she is almost a marine biologist, and submitting form for us to be a nonprofit , help, im sure its something I did wrong 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! Looks like the officers got your membership squared away? Did your niece join us?

Looks great! Looks like the officers got your membership squared away? Did your niece join us?

Walt, in the overflows you have one drain in one, three in another, and a bulkhead on the side. Can you explain what each one is for?

the one by its self is water changes, its where it is so it will still drain the tank when water is below the next bulkhead, the 3 holes are only 3/4 "  in that space,  the big overflow is just in case the little ones get clogged , can we talk filtration? I want the cleanest water on the east coast.

the one by its self is water changes, its where it is so it will still drain the tank when water is below the next bulkhead, the 3 holes are only 3/4 "  in that space,  the big overflow is just in case the little ones get clogged , can we talk filtration? I want the cleanest water on the east coast.

That's kinda what I thought. You should have the Mods move this over to the dedicated build forum. I like all the details.