Internal Vs External Skimmer?

Paulcosta

Hello!!!

Need a little advice from my fellow reefers....Is there a performance difference between an internal over an external skimmer? I am thinking of upgrading my RLSS R6i skimmer which is 9"L x 6.75"W x 21"H and it just fits in my Trigger Ruby Sump 30. I am looking for a skimmer that is rated for a least 250 gallons..I am not seeing anything with the same foot print as the R6i. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I don't think there is any performance issue between external and internal. Internals can transfer heat from the pump into the water that can raise your tank temp slightly. That being said I prefer internal skimmers because if there is an overflow it stays in the sump and not on the floor.

^totally agree... plusses and minuses to each.

external = more complicated in terms of equipment and piping (since you usually need an additional pump or run your overflow to it) and usually they are more expensive.  But, it is more versatile since you don't have to run it in your sump and it's not affected by changes in sump water level.

internal = more common, less expensive, and simpler to run.  But, they are usually more sensitive to water level changes in your sump and are limited with where you can put them.

I don't think there is any performance issue between external and internal. Internals can transfer heat from the pump into the water that can raise your tank temp slightly. That being said I prefer internal skimmers because if there is an overflow it stays in the sump and not on the floor.

^totally agree... plusses and minuses to each.

external = more complicated in terms of equipment and piping (since you usually need an additional pump or run your overflow to it) and usually they are more expensive.  But, it is more versatile since you don't have to run it in your sump and it's not affected by changes in sump water level.

internal = more common, less expensive, and simpler to run.  But, they are usually more sensitive to water level changes in your sump and are limited with where you can put them.

Thanks guys! I just need to find and internal now that will fit in my sump now..I hope I don't have to get a bigger sump. 

Hold on a minute. I love external fed from the overflow of the return pipe. Rarely over flows better skimming do to it receiving the undissolved organics from the surface of the display tank. It will require a little extra room for installation. Additional pump is not requires if you feed from the overflow or the return pump. Skim Locker will keep water off the floor. A skimmer over flowing into my sump is a serious concern IMHO do to it dumping concentrated organics back into the water, Just my .02

Can u drill a feed hole in the sump?   I had a small sump and jammed a Aquac ev class skimmer in it, kept the skimmer in the sump and had the pump outside of the sump.  Worked very well!  What size is your tank?

Can u drill a feed hole in the sump?   I had a small sump and jammed a Aquac ev class skimmer in it, kept the skimmer in the sump and had the pump outside of the sump.  Worked very well!  What size is your tank?

My tank is 180G and the sump i believe is 30-40 (9"L x 6.75"W x 21"H). I never thought about drilling the sump! That could be  an option