pH probe going bad on Apex?

Arkonen

When coming home from work yesterday I noticed my pH showing 9.28... Normally I hover around 7.9-8.0 at all times so this is definitely out of the norm.  A minute later, the probe read 6.32.  While watching it over the next 10 minutes it was wildly swinging.  Took it out and soaked it in citric acid for an hour and rinsed in RODI.  Put it back in my sump and still getting the same symptom.  Does this look like my probe is going bad?

mpGU56m.png

A) How old is the probe? If it's over a year, you may be able to calibrate, but to be honest, they are designed to be replaced probably once a year (even if its' "lab grade").

B) is the probe fully submerged? Perhaps the probe is going in and out of the water?

A) How old is the probe? If it's over a year, you may be able to calibrate, but to be honest, they are designed to be replaced probably once a year (even if its' "lab grade").

B) is the probe fully submerged? Perhaps the probe is going in and out of the water?

Probe is about 1.5 yrs old, perhaps a bit older...

Yep, definitely fully submerged.  Made sure it was even after cleaning it.

Is it getting bubbles stuck under it?

It is in the last chamber of my sump on the far wall away from the baffles, so I don't see any bubbles getting close to it.  I will double check though when I get home.

I went ahead and ordered a new probe just in case and will test that tomorrow when it arrives.

Is the wiring for the probe running close to and in parallel with other power lines or lines that carry a signal? If so, it may be picking up a signal that's interfering with the sensor reading. If so, try moving the wiring away from the interference source.

Unless something is bonkers with your Apex, you'll immediately notice the new probe work just fine. It's almost certainly an old faulty probe.