Alternative to Radions

mogurnda

Hello WAMASers!

Between a new job and family health issues, I have fallen off the face of the earth for the past few years.  I am now back among the living, and want to get my tank and my participation in the group back on track.  The good news is that I am now an expert on exactly how much neglect corals can sustain and still manage to grow.

One of the first things I want to do is replace my lights with LEDs.  My 2X250 watt halide + 2XT5 actinic has been great, but it is time to get something that does the same job with less heat and bulk.  Although the Radion G3 would do the job, I am interested in other, less expensive alternatives for maintaining SPS high in the tank, with a mix of LPS and soft corals elsewhere.

What are people using that works?  Any threads that I have missed that would be useful?

welcome back dave! i have the evergrow fixtures and am happy with them. every now and then ERC has a group buy or some one may be selling theirs that they dont quite like. i even have one of the chinese fixtures from ebay that works really well on my cube. there are a lot of mixed reviews about LEDs vs MH but i love mine. very little heat and good growth especially with softies. i have seen some people ad t5s because the leds dont have reflectors that bounce around the light like t5 or mh so stoneys kind of brown out on the underside while the top has good color. HTH 

i am in line with gary...i too have the evergrows...old d120 fixtures...their 'value' fixtures..though they have nicer, more controlable fixtures...they have served me well....i even have a few sps living in my lps dominated tank,lol

I bought mine through the group buy from erc I have the iIT2080's over a 125 and love the features all at a very reasonable price

Talk to Marcos he has lots of knowledge

welcome back dave! i have the evergrow fixtures and am happy with them. every now and then ERC has a group buy or some one may be selling theirs that they dont quite like. i even have one of the chinese fixtures from ebay that works really well on my cube. there are a lot of mixed reviews about LEDs vs MH but i love mine. very little heat and good growth especially with softies. i have seen some people ad t5s because the leds dont have reflectors that bounce around the light like t5 or mh so stoneys kind of brown out on the underside while the top has good color. HTH 

I bought mine through the group buy from erc I have the iIT2080's over a 125 and love the features all at a very reasonable price

Talk to Marcos he has lots of knowledge

Hey Gary, nice to see some of the geezers are still around.

The IT2080 looks like a pretty good deal.  How easy is it to program?

All the evergrows are a piece if cake to program. They work in half hour or one hour steps. It's a little tedious, and repetitive, but certainly easy!

Hey Gary, nice to see some of the geezers are still around.

The IT2080 looks like a pretty good deal. How easy is it to program?

I have the it 2080 I left it to the default so it follows a solar cycle kind of. At 6am moon lights kick on and slowly progress until full spectrum then ramps down to adding with moon light at midnight then shuts off till 6 am. And if you can design your own spectrum (arrangement if lights and color temp if you want) but it takes longer to get them. I have a d120 that is adjustable on my cube that I have totally blue like actinics and then the full kicks on and then off at a certain time back to actinics then off. Of course with anything the corals may have to adjust to the new lights but I like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, the programming sounds hard to beat.  Am checking with ERC about availability.

Welcome back and congrats on the new job! You still working on campus?

Thanks, Dave.  I left NIH at the end of 2012 to start teaching at U of Md.  I finished my last new class in May, so I just have to make them better from now on.  

Shoot monkiboy (Marco) a pm he was instrumental in the group buys and can give you pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a reefbreeders 32 led fixture.  It comes with a remote and can be programed to do sunrise to sunset and 2 hours of moon.  Cost About $329.   This is a video of a smaller one over a 40 gallon breeder.  My corals seem to like it with decent growth but i havnt tried sps.  It aparently will grow anything i want thought. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFagwHADcB4

Dave,

Good to see you back on the board. I have quite a few different LED's on my tanks.  You are welcome to stop by and take a look.

Thanks, all.

Scott,

That sounds like a good idea.  Monkiboy contacted me, and the Evergrows sound like a great deal, but it would not hurt to get more info.

Thanks, all.

Scott,

That sounds like a good idea.  Monkiboy contacted me, and the Evergrows sound like a great deal, but it would not hurt to get more info.

anytime. 

Welcome back, Dave. Glad to have you in the mix again. We should catch up soon.

Welcome back, Dave. Glad to have you in the mix again. We should catch up soon.

Thanks, Tom.  Looking forward to talking with you soon.

Heh, welcome back.  I am likewise slowing easing my way back in.  Doing a new build at the new house I just moved into.  Good luck on the lights, I think I'm going Radion so unlikely going to be able to help.

• 1 month later...

I went with the IT 2080s.  Marcos got me a great deal, and they were as easy to set up as everyone said.

I can't believe how much cooler the tank and the room are now.  Plus, my ATO tank is draining so much more slowly.  The corals seem happy and are maintaining their colors, so I am very pleased so far.  Will post some photos in the tank build thread when I get a chance.

You'll love the 2080s. They are fantastic LEDs at a great price!