Colvin Run Elementary School

CRESdragons

Hi,

Alright.  With the blue tang on its way out of our 90 gallon aquarium, I need some ideas of fish that will work well together and be of interest to the kids.  I have a 90 gallon.  Ideas welcome, and I'll see Phil this week to purchase.

Thanks!

Maybe a Tomini tang?  They stay relatively small and give that full tank swimming effect.  Or maybe 1-2 fairy wrasses?  The shops can order assorted fairy wrasses a lot of the time for much cheaper if you are not picky on the type of wrasse.  I have gotten a lot of nice wrasses this way.

(edited)

Hi all,

I'd be open to have someone come and help me problem solve the aquarium.  Phil and the guys at Reef eScape were great on Thursday helping me get new fish. 

We were very happy to have a new:

Yellow tang

Royal Gramma

Yellowtail damsel

Purple firefish

to add with our

entertaining and outgoing Lawnmower blenny (in tank for a few weeks and lived through the last fish die off)

playful Clownfish

This morning, the only fish alive is the purple firefish.

I took them back to school and followed all steps to get them acclimated.  I was out Friday but heard the kids were so excited to see all the new fish that day.  I got a call from my office on the way in this morning that 3 of the 4 fish died over the weekend.  I'm not sure what is going on.  I immediately checked and the salinity is right at 1.025.  Temperature hasn't fluctuated, lighting is good.  The sea urchins, brittle stars, crabs, quarter sized carpet anenome, and all coral (tree, lettuce leaf, and original coral) are doing well.  A thought was that we could have a faulty blower than is charging the water, but I think that would cause everything to die.  Being I was out, the reserve tank wasn't checked and the pump sucked it dry since it wasn't filled for the weekend, so the exhaust was blowing bubbles, but that has happened before without fish dying.

Regardless, I am not getting anymore fish until I can figure out why the tank can't keep fish alive.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I told the students that we are on hold until we can get it figured out. The tank was running flawlessly for the past 2 years, until about 2 months ago.  I've had some staff and parents suggest I tear down the tank, however I promised the kids that I wouldn't tear down the tank.

Thanks,

Ken 

Edited by CRESdragons