New reefer

Ok first off let me say this. I love this specific thread. I love seeing how everyone has started and finished their build. With that being said I wanted to do my own thread even though my tank is almost a year old.

So to start I bought a 40B, stand, canopy, Coralife skimmer, and some dry live rock and live sand as well as a 2 bulb T5HO light. I also bought a used spectra pure RODI unit.

My original plan was to use this equipment and by the extras as I needed them.

ubanyver.jpg

jyrere7e.jpg

beny9aqu.jpg

Originally I didn't use the canopy. This was my first attempt at aquascaping and getting the tank wet.

ehedejan.jpg

This was one of my first inhabitants. I bought 3 originally not knowing they are best in pairs. 1st mistake lol. I also didn't know to expect a algae bloom mistake number 2. I never thought to get a clean up crew until this happened. Then came the big mistake. A purple psuedochromis. This fish was an assassin. He killed everything I placed on the tank after him. I had 3 chromis and a six line that he killed. So because I was new I assumed it was because of poor water quality. I later figured out that it wasn't. So I started adding a few easy corals after 2 months or so. They died lol. I thought maybe it was my light was under powered. So I upgraded to a 36" power compact unit.

utemejas.jpg

In addition to killing the corals I was growing algae like crazy. So I decided that maybe adding a sump with chateo algae would help. This is where things changed.

I contacted the guy that sold me the tank. He had ran a sump with it but the skimmer wouldn't fit inside his homemade stand. So I decided to buy it anyway and build my own stand.

I over engineered the heck out of the thing but here it is before paint.

uve6ejaj.jpg

No 2X4s here all 2X6s. The only plywood I used was on the doors the top and bottom. The sides were even made with 2X6s. Then I decided to hard plumb my cpr over flow with schedule 40 pipe. Not a bad idea but the only way I can get it off is to cut the pipe :(

te5u3upu.jpg

Here it is all set up after the build.

3utahyhe.jpg

I was happy with the set up for the most part. I added some chaeto afterwards and then added a BRS GFO/Carbon reactor. This greatly helped my algae problem. However it was the middle of winter and driving this big rig along with working full time cut into my husbandry.

ady3uru2.jpg

So after the winter was over I was able to use my snow money to buy a LED fixture. I now have a IT2080 evergrows. I love these lights.

As of now I have bought a new used skimmer which is a euroreef RS-80 I believe. It skims way WAY better than the coralife ever did. My psuedochromis has found a new home and I was able to give my wife and 2 year old their "Nemos" lol.

In conclusion I wish I knew about this site before I started. I can't even begin to tell you guys how much I have learned from your posts. It is wonderful for new reefers like myself to have a place like this to learn and get advise when we are stuck. For this I must say a huge THANK YOU!!!!!

Oh and I know how much you guys like full tank/ recent pics so here ya go.

yhy7u2a9.jpg

gy8ury4u.jpg

yvu8y7ur.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the crappy cell pics but it's the only camera I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tank looks great, my 1st tank was a 40B I loved it, welcome aboard I have learned a lot since becoming a member, not to mention saved a ton of money on coral and equipment from local vendors. I have probably saved a couple of hundred dollars just for paying a $20 membership fee.

They are neat. But how am I going to get that to work with a cell phone?

have no idea but for $2-$3 I'll take a chance and let you know, I hate the way my pictures turn out 

tank looks great, my 1st tank was a 40B I loved it, welcome aboard I have learned a lot since becoming a member, not to mention saved a ton of money on coral and equipment from local vendors. I have probably saved a couple of hundred dollars just for paying a $20 membership fee.

Thanks! I paid my fee yesterday and realized I should have done that a while ago!

• 1 month later...

New pictures!!!!

My scarlet leg hermit

e8yvu7e3.jpg

Begining of my zoa garden

evuvyqur.jpg

My crazy lobo I got from ERC.

zadahe6u.jpg

One of my clowns I got from flooddc (Chuck)

y7a8uvem.jpg

Full tank shot

vebymuzu.jpg

New phone was ordered yesterday so I'm going to get a olloclip soon!

• 2 months later...

Been over two months since I did an update so I figured I would give one. Not much has changed except I built a new sump (thanks Marcos) to accommodate my new psychadelic mandarin. Anyways here are the pics.

post-2634886-14140057859_thumb.jpg

post-2634886-141400580978_thumb.jpg

post-2634886-141400582908_thumb.jpg

post-2634886-141400584835_thumb.jpg

Here's a acro I got from the frag swap, it was brown and looked dead when it went in. Now it looks like this, it's my first sps and it's apparently alive and well.

post-2634886-141400597841_thumb.jpg

post-2634886-141400600345_thumb.jpg

FTS

post-2634886-14140060231_thumb.jpg

Lol. Chuck maybe soon. Marco I'm glad you like it. I was worried it wouldn't be a fancy as some of the other sumps on here. You can't see them but 2,500 pods went into the system to give it a huge boost to the population I already had.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-2634886-142075635086_thumb.jpg

This was a few months ago and has grown to this.

post-2634886-142075638431_thumb.jpg

Apparently I can grow sps and they do like LEDs.

On another note I realize I learn stuff every day in this hobby. A month ago I got a beautiful coral banded shrimp. It was my first one. Today I came home and saw his lifeless body laying on the sand bed against a rock. I couldn't believe he died. They as I was looking around the tank I saw him, sitting behind his favorite rock. Lol I guess I forgot that they molt and shed their skeletons.