Torch coral deflating every night

Newms118

I have a green torch coral that looks fine during the day, but every night its tentacles seem to shrivel up.  Here are some images:

During the day, all happy:

Torch Coral 1

Towards the evening, starting to deflate:

Torch Coral 2

At night, fully deflated:

Torch Coral 3

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <2
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 540 
Magnesium: 1340
Alkalinity: 8.85
pH: 8. 1
Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.025

The other thing I'll add is that the tentacles also aren't as fluorescent as they use to be.  

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Yes it is called sleeping =P Almost all my corals go into some sort of sleep mode at night.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

(edited)

Lol, my first thought was "that was like me last night" but is that normal for the torch? I have a baby one with really short tentacles so I don't see much difference between day and night on mine.

Edited by Rob A

I've got about 30 euphyllias...they all do this to one degree or another...I have a really crazy octospawn that sucks back almost all the way into its top...looks dead...but it's just how it sleeps,lol

Not to be a smart ass. Did anyone notice his calcium is high and may work on that. I think high should be 440. Not as smart as everyone else on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be a smart ass. Did anyone notice his calcium is high and may work on that. I think high should be 440. Not as smart as everyone else on here.

Yeah I know the calcium is really high.  I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and the only supplements I've been using is Sponge Power and Reef Roids.  I use the Reef Foundation pro test kit for calcium, and ever since I started the tank the reading has been 500+.  Any idea how to lower it to a more acceptable range? For those of you familiar with this test, I don't believe I'm screwing it up bc after adding the drops and scoop of powder, I have to add more than the 1 mL to see a color change.

I doubt it's the Calcium even thought it's really high, there's no positive or negative effect with a higher then normal Ca level other then scaling and perhaps making it harder to maintain a balance. My green torch does the same thing sometimes and I am assuming it's some kinda growth or purge mecanism since it usually happens in the mornings or late evenings. Also OP did you get that torch from Quantum Reefs? It looks like the same one I have.

My gold torch does the same thing, my hammers also do it and so does my frogspawn. 

What kind of lighting are you using, in reference to the coral not being as bright.

Yeah I know the calcium is really high.  I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and the only supplements I've been using is Sponge Power and Reef Roids.  I use the Reef Foundation pro test kit for calcium, and ever since I started the tank the reading has been 500+.  Any idea how to lower it to a more acceptable range? For those of you familiar with this test, I don't believe I'm screwing it up bc after adding the drops and scoop of powder, I have to add more than the 1 mL to see a color change.

Let it fall naturally. Test your make up water and see what the ca level is.  

What kind of lighting are you using, in reference to the coral not being as bright.

I use Build My LED 14000K and 20000K lights, the difference in color is also amplified by my iPhone.  The last photo thats more white, i turned off the actinics and put the 14000K back on, so its more white.

The other thing Ive noticed is that the fluorescent coloring in my corals has gone down.  I think I may be using too much light, even though both my day lights (14000K and 20000K) are running near 75% max.  Would running the actinic LEDs more help to bring up the coloring?

Actinics make my colors pop more. But it's the lighting not the coral changing its color. I run my LED at 50% but there are soo many factors. Water clarity, how far mounted from water, how clean lens is and what optic degree lense deflects I could go on and on. So try turning them down and keep extra close eye on them.