Aquarium Center caution

geofloors

I was at Aquarium Center this evening and noticed montipora eating nudibranches on a big Montipora cap in one of the sales tanks lit by MH. I'm not posting this to talk bad about AC but I feel others should know. I spoke to Ollie about this and he said he was going to work on the problem.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Prevyet!

I was at the Aquarium Center yesterday to check out this problem and it has not been corrected. It's been two weeks since I origionally posted this. The montiporas that were infested with the nudibranchs are no longer in the tank where they were when I posted before. They have all been moved to the $5.00 bin. This really irritates me that they are more concerned about getting $5.00 for that piece of coral then throwing it away or treating it. It is still infested wiith the nudibranchs. The nudis are only about 1/4" and if you can see them with the naked eye then they have been there awhile. Some unsuspecting person is going to buy those corals and put them in their tank and it will eventually wipe out all their montiporas. And if those people don't know they have them and trade with others then this can spread like wildfire. This concerns me the most because I have 26 different types of montiporas. I mentioned it to Ollie again but he didin't want to hear what I had to say.

Take it for what it's worth!

George

I hadn't really given that any thought. I will get to AC tonight and get them.... hopefully someone else doesn't. I just didn't want any part of these guys anywhere near my tanks. I've done some research and I can't find anything about the life cycle of these things. RC has quite a few threads with people who had them and the link you posted doesn't wipe them out for sure. The stuff Tracy Grey used isn't even available anymore. Anyone have anything specific on these nudibranches? I may just buy the coral just to throw it away because I don't want these things to get spread around. I have many tanks just nothing that I would feel comfortable putting them in. Maybe I'll do a bucket with a heater and power head. I'll post in Dr Rons forum about the life cycle of the nudis. and see what he says.

George

Guest Scott324

George,

there is a thread over at RC in Dr. Rons forum where someone asked the life span.  Ron had said it is dependant on size and these only lived a couple weeks at best, but they are able to reproduce and are difficult to see so......  Check the thread out.  I just read it last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I know this is like old news but yesterday I made it to Aquarium Center. The montipora was still in the $5.00 bin but the nudis have removed about 90% of the tissue which was there last weekend. I looked around the corner where this montipora used to sit and the tank has 5 different plating and branching montiporas in it. This will be a never ending situation with this place because the tank was never cleaned. I just thought I'd announce my observation one last time.

George