Anyone with starphire glass?

gmerek2

Does starphire glass scratch easily or is it almost as hard as regular glass? Anyone with only the front panel done that can show off the difference? Thanks

MIne supposedly has starphire or low iron or something in the front, but I can't really tell the difference between the front and the sides.  Looking from the sides is a larger thickness of water anyway, so it's hard to judge apples to apples.  For what it's worth, my front pane doesn't seem particularly scratch prone.

My tank is starphire and really don't believe there is any difference in strength

Cool thanks. I guess my upgrade won't need it if there is no difference with water In the tank.

7evatepy.jpg

Seems like it would help a lot but I guess with water In the tank you can't tell much difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on size of the tank.  With 1/2" glass I would go standard, but the thicker the glass the more of an impact upgrading to starfire will make.

Roger that.

7evatepy.jpg

Seems like it would help a lot but I guess with water In the tank you can't tell much difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger that. It's 350 extra to make starphire glass on front panel of my future tank. 1/2 in glass. Saves some money.

No problem with starfire for me. I used it for 4 years and I would not hesitate to do it again. No real problems with scratches.

Different glass formulations do have different hardnesses. You can see that with the glass that they commonly use today on most of our smart phones - the so-called Gorilla Glass (for example). I can't find a decent table though to share for this discussion. One table did show glass having a range of hardnesses from 4.5 to 6.5 mohs. Most carbonates are softer than glass, but many silicates are harder than most glass. I guess that this means, unless you've got a panel made of Gorilla Glass, a grain of silica sand stuck in your mag-float can cause scratches regardless of whether you have regular or starphire glass on your tank.

We have not seen a difference between standard and starphire glass as you would with the difference between glass and acrylic.

The difference is NOT huge but we are pro starphire. Glasscages....only one word: caution.   

I wanted glass cages but member thankfully talked me out of it. It sounds like the darn think would fall apart

Keep in mind that GC had problems years ago that were widely reported. Their quality today may or may not be similar. A very well respected member here recently took deliver of quite a number of their tanks for his build. They all came out very well.

I mostly agree with what Tom said.  They may be better today but 2 out of 3 of the tanks they made over 200 gallons that I have worked on, had catastrophic failure. 

I think smaller tanks may do better.  But on a big display tank, saving a few hundred $ on a tank when the total investment on that aquarium including lights, filters, time, rocks etc is $5,000 or $10,000 or $30,000.... too much risk and not enough reward. 

I really wanted a rimless through them but it's not worth the risk. I want confidence so I don't have to worry every time I lean up against the tank or put my hands in. I'll go with a more respected company and will pay for the name. Also a rimmed tank now for piece of mind.

It's not just the theory it may burst.  Their silicone jobs are usually more sloppy, and the edges are not polished nicely.  Tha'ts what I have seen at least. 

I always heard that they were great for reptile tanks, but not so much filled to the brim with saltwater.