Water source question

wade

I am moving my typhoon system to the basement (from the kitchen, my wife is happy!).  Right near where my water enters the house, so I have two options:

1- connect the RO unit after the water softener OR

2- connect the RO unit to the incoming unsoftened water (~225 hardness, lots of Ca, Mg)...

Does it matter?  

Thanks!

I don't have a softener so I never really thought about it....hhrrrrmmmm,I would say its really not going to make a huge difference one way or another.I would think before the softener so your not wasting the amount of salt you put in it running it through the rodi,lol

I am moving my typhoon system to the basement (from the kitchen, my wife is happy!).  Right near where my water enters the house, so I have two options:

1- connect the RO unit after the water softener OR

2- connect the RO unit to the incoming unsoftened water (~225 hardness, lots of Ca, Mg)...

Does it matter?  

Thanks!

Actually, it does matter! If you have very hard water and that is why you are using a water softener, the RODI units LOVE softened water. They function better, filters do not clog as fast, membranes don't foul out because the water was too hard. So if it were me, I'd put the Typhoon AFTER the water softening unit.

Actually, it does matter! If you have very hard water and that is why you are using a water softener, the RODI units LOVE softened water. They function better, filters do not clog as fast, membranes don't foul out because the water was too hard. So if it were me, I'd put the Typhoon AFTER the water softening unit.

Perfect, thanks!

I have a whole house (rechargeable) filter after my softener as well, so it is actually pretty clear softened water.  I was leaning in that direction, it just means a little more work to install a new port/valve for the RO.  I have an existing spigot pre-softener, but will add a post-softener one before I proceed.

Thanks again for the input!