Looking for set up suggestions on a dosing system

rdavidw

I have a 150 gallon reef tank that I am looking to add a dosing system to.  I have bought a MC-03-M Dosing Peristaltic Metering Pump Triple http://www.ebay.com/itm/331194548383?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649  and am planning on dosing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

1. I don’t have much space under my tank.  I have plumbed a drain line from the top of my sump to my laundry tub in my basement for water changes and overflows (saved me once when my tap-up stuck open) and a chiller in my basement plumbed in my closed loop wave maker line.  Could I set up my dosing system in my basement as well?  It would be about an 8 foot head.  Anyone know what the max head is on the peristaltic pump?  Could/should I splice all three out lines into a single icemaker line to run up to the tank?  With the line out being that long, I would guess that my feedback on my levels between the three would be delayed as the solutions would spend extra time in the longer line.  Would it be better to keep the three jugs in the basement and move just the pump under the tank?  I would then have three long lines in and three short ones out.

1. Stirring?  Will I need some sort of stirring mechanism for all three jugs?  I would prefer to go with larger jugs that will only need to refilled every few months.  I have seen the DIY stir-rods with the motor on top.  To keep it super simple, could I just get three teeny power heads and stick them on a timer to run an hour to two each night?  What about an air pump with an air stone in each jug on a timer?  Would that kick out too much of the additives on the sides of the jugs?

Thanks for any help and suggestions! 

I'm not sure about head pressure, but the 1.1 ml a min brs dosers would get it done, 3 different lines. I am just speculating, so take my words with a grain of salt. Dosing container size shouldn't matter, just depends how often you want to mix up solution, or fill your containers.

Head capacity will depend a lot on the line and pump that you are using. Some pumps only have two rollers and perform poorly with any significant amount of vertical lift. Some are much better. So it's really equipment dependent.

Do not splice into one line going up to the tank. The chemicals used in two part can react and may result in precipitate in their concentrated forms, resulting in diminished effectiveness. Run separate lines and dose into separate areas of the tank, or separate the dosing into different time intervals to ensure thorough mixing.

You do not need to stir the mixes after dissolution. The mix stays in solution very well.