Fish Room Tank Upgrade ideas thoughts etc

Huly

Well as some know our basement flooded at the end of March. Since we are under construction we have decided to go ahead with the fish room tank upgrade. We are looking at the MarineLand 250DD. Here are a few photos ideas etc.

The Red lines are walls we removed and the blue line is the wall the tank will go into.

BasementCrop_zps8b2dd765.jpg

Photos of room and our ideas:1_zps27d4fd78.jpg

TankDesign1Crop_zps242eefce.jpg

What are your ideas suggestions etc?

Well, since you have no walls and your breaker box is right there, have 2 or 3 dedicated fish tank breakers installed right now.

Depending on how the bathroom is laid out, if you can get easy access through the bathroom to the storage room, I vote for a 7' tank where the blue line in the top picture is.  I just did a 7' in-wall tank and remote fish room and it is great.

Thanks!  Yes additional breakers are going in tomorrow :)

Looking at two things a dehumidifier (small one) and with adding an extra vent separately or doing a Y off of the bathroom vent.

Any other ideas?

We are also looking at ways to completely protect the electric box there. There are a couple of ideas floating around there.

The biggest question right now is the grinder sump. Is it safe to drain salt water down it? The basement bathroom is the only thing connected to it so if we drain saltwater down anything in that bathroom or connect anything to that sump directly will it damage it?

Moisture control is a big deal.  The best way to deal with it is an exhaust fan.   A dehumidifier can make a small room really warm.   Costco is selling an exhaust fan with a built in humidistat.  That is a great way to go.  

I tell this to everybody, but it seems a good reminder....    While you have things all taken apart, run a small PVC line through the wall to bring outside air into the skimmer.   It will give you 0.1 or 0.3 points more pH, especially in the summer.

As far as the grinder sump goes, I had an assist pump in my fish room to bring water up to my sewer line.   I trashed it in 4 years of water changes and skimmer cleanings.   It wasn't the saltwater, it was the solids.   You put at lot of solids into the system over the years, and eventually it plugs them up.

Awesome what brand from Costco do you like?  I love Costco!