Help me choose bare bottom or sand.

jacobB89

Bare bottom or sand/crushed coral  

21 members have voted

1. 1. bare bottom or coarse sand?

• course sand/crushed coral
    • bare bottom/star board

I cant make up my mind so want some help and more or less you help me decide with a vote.

star board/bare bottom 

or 

sand 

CaribSea Arag-Alive special grade

for a 180 gallon tank mixed reef

Edited by jacobB89

I say 1/4 inch of sand. You get some piles and some bare spots. Plus it's thin enough the critters keep it poop free. Shouldn't have a nitrate or water quality issue in a 180 unless you have a skimpy skimmer.

I say bare your bottom and turn up the flow.

That's a bonus I know lol

I say 1/4 inch of sand. You get some piles and some bare spots. Plus it's thin enough the critters keep it poop free. Shouldn't have a nitrate or water quality issue in a 180 unless you have a skimpy skimmer.

Good option I have a cs3 skimmer with swabbie.

BB. I hate my crushed coral now.

Main reason you hate it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I love sand....because I love wrasses!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and zombie snails lol... its too early for me to remember the real name...

Just enough sand to get by, IMO, my sandbed is an inch or less, still works for aesthetics, and sand bed creatures. It's a personal choice though, go with what you like!

Part of the decision depends on how lazy you are.  I can only offer that observation because I'm an extremely lazy person.  For the first year the sandbed is a real benefit, after that it tends to become a pit of fish poop that is difficult to clean.  Combine the cleaning difficulty with the fact that the "newness" of the reef has worn off and you have a tank that is both hard to clean and easy to ignore.

Because I understand my lazy side, I vote for bare bottom.

Sand, but I have gobys and a wrasse. We enjoy watching the pistol shimp and goby move the sand around.

OK so for sand wise what kind are most using the special grade or something finer

I use Arig-Alive fuji pink sand

I have that my 29 gallon tank it just seems like a blew around the lot

i used to use the fine sand but I like flow too much so when I moved and reset the tank up again I used the larger grain live sand. It blew around for a little bit but then when the bacteria came around it settled down and I am much happier with it.  I have 4 huge tunzes in that 180 and not sand storms

I have a sand bed now and will have BB when I upgrade my tank (in may). With sand, my goby keep moving the sand all over place. I have to keep blow the sand off my corals.

I voted sand but I do not include crushed coral in that vote.

I used special grade.

Edited by Jim Mc

If you go with sand, you really have to treat it as an organism.   I originally went with a shallow sand bed and over-sized my filtration knowing it would eventually add nutrients.  It was a good plan for about 2 years and then it turned into a solid rock.   When I shut down the tank to do a re-build I was barely able to break it up into pieces small enough to remove from the tank.

When I re-built I went with Starboard and built a little sandbox that I hid behind the rocks for the wrasses.

We are so helpful. The vote is 50 / 50.  That tells you something too.  Neither method is overwhelmingly better than the other. I think that means it comes down to personal choice. 

If you go with sand, you really have to treat it as an organism.   I originally went with a shallow sand bed and over-sized my filtration knowing it would eventually add nutrients.  It was a good plan for about 2 years and then it turned into a solid rock.   When I shut down the tank to do a re-build I was barely able to break it up into pieces small enough to remove from the tank.

When I re-built I went with Starboard and built a little sandbox that I hid behind the rocks for the wrasses.

that is absolutely true...you need to keep either moved around by inhabitants or if you are pretty shallow a quick stir around every so often....

but aesthetically its so pleasing to the eye....

I'm with Jenn on just liking the way a sand bed looks in the tank.  I also keep plenty of critters in the tank to keep it stirred up.