Opinions on my water chemistry

howaboutme

Good point about the ph graph. I believe I have been using this salt around the 30 days. It's about 3 or 4 water changes @ 1x per week so the graph might correlate to that. I will have to see if I can dig out another graph to go past the current 30 days to see a trend but I don't believe my ph deviated at all. That wave pattern is pretty much what my tank does. I will investigate further.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also use RC and i've never seen the elevated alk you should see from RC...been considering switching to IO since the elevated levels dont really help me too much.

I would test before and after your WC and the new water of course and then come back here with the results. Dosing is not as scary as you may think and the amounts we are gonna guide you through will not harm anything.

Heres what I did...

The usual recommendation is to not change more than 1.4dkh / day. With that in mind, you go to the calculator and tell it to raise you 1dkh. Split that dose in 2 (am/pm) . Test the next day. Your alk should be higher but not at the +1. Whatever the difference is will be your next days dosage. So let's say you were +.7. Then calculate how much to dose to get you up another 1dkh +.3 the next day. Keep doing this until you reach your target alk. The difference between the measurement you should be getting and what you are getting is your consumption. You can now drop to just that "extra" amount and you should be pretty stable. You may have to tweak it a few times once you get it locked in because your growth will most definitely increase.

I did stop dosing once I was stable and went a week without to "verify" the consumption, but in hindsight it was completely unnecessary.

Overall, its really not as hard/difficult as it seems and don't worry you've got great support here :)

That oscillation in your pH is normal and is demonstrates the diurnal shift between the daylight (when corals are in photosynthesis and consuming CO2, the pH rises) and night time (when corals are respiring and adding CO2 to the tank, the pH drops). Nice example.

Overall, its really not as hard/difficult as it seems and don't worry you've got great support here :)

That's true, you guys are great.

I don't think that it's a complication factor here, Jack's a smart guy, unlike myself who's still trying to figure out dosing 10 threads later. I think Jack wants to make sure he has to make a change before he does it. It's tough when you look at your tank and everything looks awesome, but then you look at the numbers and they say that things aren't right. I want to change things for the "what if" factor. What if I make those adjustments, and I see my SPS take off! But its hard to jump on board when everything looks good, but the numbers say otherwise.

I don't think its a smarts issue. It's overwhelming especially when you've got that "everything looks good" factor. Good husbandry and frequent water changes will do that to you... Messing with what works is the hard part.

One of the reefkeeping.com articles on WC shows it best that even with constant WC, with a slow steady alk/cal consumption you cannot maintain the same levels with just WCs so some type of supplementation is just inevitable.

One of the reefkeeping.com articles on WC shows it best that even with constant WC, with a slow steady alk/cal consumption you cannot maintain the same levels with just WCs so some type of supplementation is just inevitable.

End of the day ^

Okay..all good points about dosing. I just don't believe I need to yet until some further investigation (see below).

I have another graph of my ph. It's the entire history of my ph number being collected, which only started in mid March. I see a trend that my low point and high point is seemingly getting lower and lower. Does anyone else see that? What does that mean? Does it correlate w/ my alk issue?

ph-graph-1.jpg

Also...I just saw this today. My new blue stag from Graham is showing signs of possible STN. See here:

e567dd06-b9bd-462f-88c3-f9085da86718.jpg

What's confusing is that you can clearly see PE for the rest of the coral. Should I wait it out or intervene? So far, that's the only one of the new "harder" sps corals that have some issues, I think. One possible reason (besides what we're talking about here) is that I have moved it a couple of times so that base area that's white has been stuck in and out of rock holes a few times and I have glued it on a frag plug and then decided to take that off..you know..newbie stuff... :unsure:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it. I will test my new saltwater tomorrow night.

It does seem like if you averaged it out you would see a downward trend, but the max/min is not really out of normal bounds.

It does seem like if you averaged it out you would see a downward trend, but the max/min is not really out of normal bounds.

Thanks Alan. That's what I was hoping.

Also, that is STN, not only on the bottom, but on the left side branch as well. Hate to say it, but when that's happened to me, I've not had much luck pulling it back. Everybody will suggest you cut it and re glue it, "if you want to live, come with me."

Also, that is STN, not only on the bottom, but on the left side branch as well. Hate to say it, but when that's happened to me, I've not had much luck pulling it back. Everybody will suggest you cut it and re glue it, "if you want to live, come with me."

Sh*t. Why would it still have pe then?

Sent from my rooted Nook HD+ running CyanogenMod

Shoot, Why would it still have pe then?

I could be completely wrong, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Same thing happened with my huge highlighter stag colony, and my ORA green birdsnest. They both looked fantastic on their way out. And I noticed both of them either just before I went to bed, or right before I had to go to work.

I had some acro Stn with healthy pe still attached before especially milli species. It's hard to tell for sure from the picture if it actually stn. Either way you will know for sure by tomorrow morning. Good luck!

Unless you're planning on doing some fragging and gluing tonight, I would let it be, although I expect it won't be alive in the AM. Based on my very similar experience, even the fragging of my colony only had a few pieces survive. Keep using this thread as guidance, and slowly bring your alk up, I'll be doing it with you as well, :cheers:

Unless you're planning on doing some fragging and gluing tonight, I would let it be, although I expect it won't be alive in the AM. Based on my very similar experience, even the fragging of my colony only had a few pieces survive. Keep using this thread as guidance, and slowly bring your alk up, I'll be doing it with you as well, :cheers:

True! 

Make mine a FatTire please :)

My guess is that Graham has a much higher alk than you and you're seeing it stn because of it...

Yes, I agree. I guess that's the whole point of this thread. My sps that have been in the tank are doing well because they are acclimated with the conditions. My dilemma is getting new sps from people that probably have a higher alk then me. That will be a risk from now forward if I don't adjust. On a side, Chau's (taiscici) coral is doing fine and he stated he keeps a high alk (10) so I guess it depends.

I had some acro Stn with healthy pe still attached before especially milli species. It's hard to tell for sure from the picture if it actually stn. Either way you will know for sure by tomorrow morning. Good luck!

Did they survive?

Check this out: http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/restor.php

It worked well for me before. Also, I hate to say this but it looks like the tissue lost is all over that poor frag ...

Thanks. I'm generally not a huge fan of putting stuff in the tank. But I will keep all options open.

It survived the night. I think there is slightly more STN at the base and maybe a bit more dull at the branches. I will check tonight when I get home and when the lights are on.

That's great news! I also have low alk, and same thing, most of my sps do alright.

That's great news! I also have low alk, and same thing, most of my sps do alright.

Great news that it survived the night? I'm not optimistic though. This frags situation is just emphasizing the "slow" part in STN. We'll see.

I agree, that frag is not likely to make it. You can try to frag off well above the demarcation line, but I have never seen long-term success with this. I am 95% sure that the coral is suffering due to the change in Alk between the two tanks. 

But how low is it? From seeing your tank, I doubt you are below 7, or are you?

But how low is it? From seeing your tank, I doubt you are below 7, or are you?

7.5 usually, so, no.

Thanks for this link! I will try the super glue tonight if it's still around, probably better than trying to break off a branch.