The 500

I've been working on this tank for the past 3 years.

4) MP40's, 6) D120's, 80w UV, 1/2hp chiller, Biopellet/P04 reactors, 2 part dosing. Original Avast CS3 skimmer.

Hippo Tang is about 9" for scale.

DSC01437

DSC01447

DSC01457

Nice tank, Rob. Where is this one kept? Nice hippo.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

(edited)

DSC01406

Here are 6) D120's on full power from day 1 of installation. Made the switch from MH/T5 combo and noticed a growth explosion in the corals.

DSC01405

The filtration. Chiller and UV sterilizer have been soft piped by a previous maintenance company and unfortunately there's no other easy alternative to a re-plumbing job. The PVC is my work for the drains and returns. 2) 1" returns, 2) 1" drains. The previous company also took the 1.5" drains and jammed 1" pipe inside the 1.5" pipe reducing it for what??? This has been a problem on 2 occasions because of Astrea Snails getting into the drains and clogging them at the elbows causing tank overflows. Luckily, there's a floor drain.

The very first Avast CS3 performing as well as it always has. I've modified the air intake to allow for top and bottom scavenging of the silencer. That's 1 week of skimmate.

The sump is about 9' long and extends under the table. It's made from acrylic that's too thin and it requires 4) removable cross braces to prevent drastic bowing. I imagine it will pop one day. It's basically 2 bubble traps on one end with the incoming froth flowing over a mesh bag of carbon, then a 4' long settling chamber/aiptasia farm, then the baffles leading to the pump and skimmer areas.

Overall, the fish room is 50% complete- I need to fix the bulkheads, chiller/uv plumbing, electrical panel. On the other side of the room is cabinetry, refrigerator, countertop. I also have a 46g bowfront QT/hospital tank.

DSC01547

This coral came from Fazio. It's a green Kenya Tree and it's about 15" tall. Surrounded by RPE's.

DSC01537

Purple Nurple, Flowerpetal, Orange Cap with Tyree Stools.

DSC01517

Very large Spongodes colony with Neon Green Sinularia garden. Flowerpetal and Leng Sy cap in background.

DSC01487

The grotto. The big Rabbitfish like to hang out here and nibble the clam every now and then. Yellow Tang is 5". Old-fashioned Brown Star Polyps.

DSC01427

The FTS.

90% of the corals and fish came from WAMAS members over the last 3 years.

Edited by zygote2k

I really enjoy looking at how tanks are set up. The inner workings always interest me.

Thanks for sharing.

• 3 months later...

This tank is sweet, saw it today, some gems. Sorry about the reflections from the glass, but you get the idea:

4b2adb7b-76a4-4386-be31-730daeff590a_zps

5ace92ae-beee-436c-b310-cc3644ab43fc_zps

[/url]

f947be42-43ce-4c19-b681-403b2e4c96e6_zps

4a4b3d04-7954-4517-bdf9-fb5969af05ce_zps

That looks insane. Where is this?

+1 Very cool, Is this somewhere we can see, or does Isaac just get a private tour? :cool:

Probably a clients house.

That looks insane. Where is this?

+1 Very cool, Is this somewhere we can see, or does Isaac just get a private tour? :cool:

Probably a clients house.

14th and irving, they will probably let anybody in to see it, it's in the lobby area.