DIY Reef Controller

rrbigdog

I have seen some projects out on the net that use a Raspberry PI ($39) as a platform for a reef controller...  It will be able to provide network and webpage functionality along with some control for switching some relay boards.  Has anyone tried this...?

For those not familiar with the project....  It uses these to provide outlet relay switching.  This is the 8 port board that will be wired normal outlets.  Also a pic of the raspberry pi... this one right now is running my telephone system with many features and tied to google voice for free phone service...

relay.jpgraspberry.jpg

I have a pi and a salinity board and probe. On my list to build it into a simple controller. What's nice is that the pi has a usb Wi-Fi card, so having it Wi-Fi enabled will be nice.

I'm waiting on a few parts. I ordered a waterproof temp to test with. Once i have the wiring all done i will look at building a Web front end to control it. And yes it has both USB. I might try the lcd touch screen. Will have to see how it goes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-mPower-Pro-Controller-Ethernet-Connectivity/dp/B00CXXD1XK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=03ZNCSH575V470JGBC0J

This will make the Wi-Fi enabled rPi controller much quicker to do. Just hook up necessary sensors to the pi and get it to talk to this outlet box. Even cheaper per outlet than an EB8 and wireless too :)

That would solve having to add an ardiuno to expand. I will have to really look at that option. Thanks again. You all have great ideas where is the prototype?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing around with the Raspberry Pi.....Have a digital temp probe, 8 port Relay board hooked up and tested.  Realistically with no other hardware the PI will have enough pins to handle 6 or 7 outlets.  I have modified some free available code and have it running a heater script now....  Its running Apache for web, SQL database, Python scripts.  I think this will turn out to be a inexpensive alternative to monitor and control a small system.  Has graphs, etc.  Need more code work but it's getting there.  Long term, will take all the wires and bring them to RJ type jacks for external cables to the temp probe, relays, etc.

Raspberry%20FishPi.jpg

I assume the raspberry pi is better than the arduino?  I'm using arduino megas because they can handle 50 devices each from a simpleton like me, and a good programmer could make each I/O handle more devices than that.  But I've heard that the pi is better at wifi than the arduino.  So I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with, perhaps I can get the mega to do some of those same things.

There are quite a few projects out there that use both the raspberry pi and the ardiuno to expand the number of devices.  I picked up a uno board had it communicating with the pi over usb.  After I get done playing with what the pi can do by itself I might see about expanding with the uno.    I just wired my float switch and I have my ato script running now....  I have used the majority of the GPIO pins that the pi has so for more devices I would have to expand with an arduino.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is pic of my simple reef controller using only a raspberry pi, a 4 port Relay, temp probe and float switch.  Found some code to modify for my use...  I still need to work on a better web interface but this works for now.

4-Port-power.jpgReefpimini.jpg

looks very nice, I will be tagging along, I am about 40% done with my arduino/nodejs controller. I assume you could use the front end/ server back end i work on with your pi controller.  I tried to completely decouple the arduino logic from the nodejs server logic.

I call it Nodarium :)

https://github.com/mottihoresh/nodarium

• 4 months later...

Any update on this? Lessons learned?

It would be nice to see some of your guys' code also. I also have been thinking about combining hobbies. Eventually, my ultimate goal would be to set up all electronics with a combination of raspberry pi and arduino. I did find some links. I'm still a bit young in this direction, so im still putting together ideas. I did find this link and thought it was a good start. I also bookmarked your "Nodearium" Motti :)

http://www.aquariumcontroller.net/diy.html

• 1 month later...

I switched to an arduino mega. Have built 2 of d0ughb0y ' s build on RC. Does everything plus a nice Web interface.

• 2 weeks later...

Not me. I built d0ughb0y ' s build on reef central. Search diy neptune apex. It's a great build. He fixed a few issues I had today with my ato delays.

• 6 months later...

This could be just as addictive and expensive as reefing. Did you get your web page working?

I changed to the doughboy build on RC.  Here is the one I have on my frag tank.  I did not include everything he has on the build but It controls a chauvet 8 port relay.  It has a web interface.  It is a great build.....

controller.jpg