Flieger's 125 reef build

Well there have been a couple of changes. I will now be lighting my tank with an ATI 60" 6 bulb T5 set up instead of the Evergrow LEDs (Orion twisted my arm).

Dang, he doesn't waste a second with his T-5 propaganda! Just kidding, they DO look nice, but I'm starting to believe the best balance is a T-5/led mix...

Since I already have the LEDs and can't seem to sell them

Did I miss your FS post? It shouldn't be hard, they are pretty sought after, especially if you got them with the warranty from the ERC group buys...

I am going to donate them to the Belleview OH High School marine research program.

That's a super noble and generous gesture, I hope they realize and appreciate it!

Things are coming along slowly. Pics will be posted when there is something worth taking a picture of.

I'd love to see a picture of the light fixture you went with, and the color it puts out, I'm teetering around with adding T-5s into my hood somehow.

Yes, Dave is super excited to be getting the lights. He's wanted to do a project like that for a while but the funding wasn't there. I'm really excited to be able to do what I can and help kids with their education and get them into the hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a question about plumbing my 125 so it's as quiet as possible. It's a Marineland tank with an overflow in each corner. Each overflow has 2 holes drilled in the bottom with plumbing supplied to have one drain and one return out of each corner. Should I hook it up as supplied or set up a kind of Bean Animal with one side having a single return and emergency overflow and the other side have the main syphon and other drain? Any other suggestions? I would really not like to drill extra holes in the tank or take out the current over flows.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Soon is a relative term. I finally drilled the tank for my return and will be having a Herbie in each corner. Rock scape Version 1.0 has been laid out. It is more multi dimensional than it appears in the pic. It is fairly deep front to back. There is a channel in the middle between the right and left piles and the left side has a "cove" in the front. I plan on sticking acros to the "wall" in the center so they grow to the right and into the open space. Lots of caves and open space for fishies. Thoughts?

scapeV10_zps7a03bb08.jpg

Edited by Flieger

• 1 month later...
Well after a bit of a delay I finally had time to work on the tank. It's on the stand and I've done the preliminary plumbing. After some fine tuning and gluing everything up it will be time to do a leak check. I also mocked up my control board. Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Sump_zps6f3c6fe0.jpg

ApexPanel_zps33297a50.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll post some pics in the future. Currently nothing to see. I'm running without any lights on right now to try and keep down any algae and other nuisances at this early stage. Have some phosphates. I'm waiting to see if it peaks and then going to run some GFO.