Tricia's 90 gallon Build

Ok... Need to keep a record of things in my tank, where they came from, etc. For those of you great with scientific names, feel free to correct me.

My key:

$ = purchased/traded/free

S = SWAP

Corals

1. 2 x 2-Headed torch - $ x AF John

2. Galaxea coral - $ x AF John

3. Yellow hammer - $ x AF John

4. Green mushrooms - $ x

5. Zoas TBD later - $ x Sharkey/Laura

6. Zoa - S x Sharkey/Laura

7. Red mushrooms - $ x AF John

8. Palys - $ x AF John

9. Toadstool leather - $ x

10. Zoas - S x

11. Long Skirt Golden Zoanthid - S x JohnRhodes

Fish

1. Naso Tang

2. One-spot foxface

3. Pajama Cardinals

I think I maybe mr #10 with the radioactive dragon eye zoas :)

Tank is looking nice!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I maybe mr #10 with the radioactive dragon eye zoas :)

Tank is looking nice!

Yes you are!  I was trying to do that list from memory.  Now my browser doesn't let me edit it or copy it, so this weekend when I open up my personal laptop, I'll ahve to add your name to the list.  I also need help identifying half my zoas...

Updated List.

My key:
$ = purchased/traded/free
S = SWAP

Corals
1. Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens) - $ x Trout
2. Tooth Coral (Galaxea spp.) - $ x AF Trout
3. Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea curvata) - $ x AF Trout
4. Green mushrooms - $ x
5. Zoas TBD - $ x Sharkey/Laura
6. Pink & Gold Palys- $ x Sharkey/Laura
7. Red mushrooms - $ x Trout
8. Green Toadstool leather (Sarcophyton sp.)- $ x PotomacBoater
9. Zoas TBD - $ x Sharkey/Laura

10. Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas - S x JohnFord
11. Long Skirt Golden Zoanthid - S x JasonRhodes

12. Pink Bird's Nest (Seriatopora hystrix) - S x JasonRhodes

13. Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata) - S x JasonRhodes

14. Hydnophora (Hydnophora sp.) - S x Jason Rhodes

15. Red Montipora capricornis - $ x JasonRhodes

16. Green Montipora verrucosa - $ x JasonRhodes

17. Stylophora Coral (Stylophora spp.) - $ x JeremyS
18. Purple Digi (Montipora digitata) - S x JasonRhodes
19. Green knobby mushrooms - $ x Trout
20. Micro clove polyp - $ x Trout

Fish
1. Naso Tang (Naso lituratus)
2. One-spot foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
3. 2 x Pajama Cardinals (Sphaeramia nematoptera)

That's an extensive list given the relatively short amount of time you've been working in the DC area on your tank.  Great job.

Thanks! Many of them are small frags, so it still looks pretty empty, despite the nice diversity. 

Way to go, now you can keep that water quality up they should thrive!

Just came across your build tread Trish, looks great! That's some pretty fast progress!

Thanks.  Again, it's a lot of small frags.  The only big things are mushrooms and palys that came attached to rocks I bought off of Trout.  I tried taking pictures last night, but I need to dig out a different lens.

(edited)

This is a note more for me.  This is my want list of things and additions.  I'm moving to a new apartment (same building) in November or December.  I want to start thinking ahead of changes I'll be making then and after. 

1. ATO system.  I'll be adding a cabinet/endtable next to the aquarium.  The ATO system will go here.  I'm not wed to any system other than one that is pretty idiot-proof.

2. Dosing pumps.  Since my levels (Alk is at 10 and Calcium is at 390) are fine, dosing pumps aren't a major priority.  That being said, they'll go in the same cabinet as the ATO.  So I'll be selecting a cabinet that can accommodate both the ATO & the dosing pumps. 

3. DIY 108 Dimmable LED kit http://www.aquastyleonline.com/categories/DIY-LED-Lighting/DIY-Dimmable-LED-Kits/ - After seeing Jason's tank, I love his LED setup.  He used this and I plan on making this a snowy day project this winter.

4. Apex Jr. - After setting up the ATO, pumps, and lighting, the Apex is my next priority.  I won't be able to start with the larger system, but I can start with this Apex Jr.  I'll be able to upgrade as needed at least, so that as I move forward with the tank, I'll be adding APEX compatible system.  I know, the DIY lights may not be compatible (read probably not), but I still want to do them.  And I love that this Apex system will help my boyfriend (non-reefer) to learn about the tank and provide him with a visible baseline for when he has to help take care of things.

5. pH probe and module for Apex.

6. Autofeeder for Apex. 

7. Expansion socket pack for Apex.

Other notes, I want to change the plumbing around a little bit to decrease it's footprint.  I want to add a 3rd chamber to my sump to accomodate a deep sand bed & rocks.  I want to mount the electrical outlet/surge protector I'm using on the wall where it will be easy to get to, yet protected from random drips.  

I want to change out the trim on the stand & add doors.  

Edited by truetricia2

(edited)

Alright so here are some updated photos of my tank.  Disclaimer is that these aren't very good photos!  I need to pull out my macro lense for my SLR. 

The Watcher....

med_gallery_2634904_1418_115026.jpg

Here's the view of the right side of my tank.  I think I might make this an SPS side and the left LPS/Softie.

med_gallery_2634904_1418_202783.jpg

My Hydnophora coral.  I love the color and the way it moves in the current.

med_gallery_2634904_1418_789067.jpg

Here's the Galaxea that's in the background.  I think it liked it's old position a bit better, but here it won't be able to sting other corals.

med_gallery_2634904_1418_100342.jpg

Here's the right side. 

med_gallery_2634904_1418_90325.jpg

2 of my zoas.  They're both from Sharkey, but I don't know what kind they are. 

med_gallery_2634904_1418_1715644.jpg

A few more zoas, including the Radioactives I got from John Ford.

med_gallery_2634904_1418_776141.jpg

I have no idea what the bring pink ones are.  THe ones in the back left are from ERC.  There are 2 different color patterns.  Richard hasn't told me what they are yet.

med_gallery_2634904_1418_1158145.jpg

Here's the beautiful trumpet frag from Jason!  The candy cane next to it looks pathetic in comparison, but it was a struggling frag when I got it.  It looks better than in the beginning!

med_gallery_2634904_1418_155358.jpg

I know not everyone loves palys and mushrooms, but I think they're beautiful!

med_gallery_2634904_1418_1253784.jpg

Here's some of the amazing corals I picked up from ERC, plus the birdsnest and digi from Jason.

gallery_2634904_1418_567284.jpg

A closeup of the blue one from ERC (I'll look it up later.  C56 or D29 I think lol)

sml_gallery_2634904_1418_618992.jpg

One of the gorgeous hammers I got from ERC.

med_gallery_2634904_1418_166404.jpg

And two of my small tiny torches I got from Trout.  There's another 2-header in the tank as well.

med_gallery_2634904_1418_854372.jpg

g

Edited by truetricia2

Super cute!  I see you have a kitty TV also.  Our cat loves the tank so we call it Huly TV lol

Super cute!  I see you have a kitty TV also.  Our cat loves the tank so we call it Huly TV lol

The one in the picture honestly just wanted my attention.  He doesn't pay as much attention to the tank.  My small cat though loves to sit on a stool and just look at the tank.  She used to try to 'catch' fish all the time through the glass.  She hasn't done that yet with this tank. 

I love the term Huly TV!!

tydygabu.jpg

After FFE, I installed the new PAR38 lighting system. Before my lights were clipped onto the front of the tank. Now they're installed on the top of the canopy. The placement is a little off but it was a quick install to be redone later (out of town for work). I also have 4 other bulbs (2 are questionable and need to be tested), so I plan to add them to fill in the shadows.

I have 2 T5s in the back to supplement the light.

(edited)

Here's my war coral i got from ERC 2 weeks ago and it was a solid color. Before mounting the lights, they were clipped to the outside. Look how my war coral has been responding to the difference in the pars from the green side and the T5s from the red side. Interesting how the difference in lighting had affecting the color in just a few weeks.

habu3uvu.jpg

Edited by truetricia2

Here's my war coral i got from ERC 2 weeks ago and it was a solid color. Before mounting the lights, they were clipped to the outside. Look how my war coral has been responding to the difference in the pars from the green side and the T5s from the red side. Interesting how the difference in lighting had affecting the color in just a few weeks. habu3uvu.jpg

What color was it originally? Green or Red? I bet Red.

Lookin' good!

• 1 month later...

What color was it originally? Green or Red? I bet Red.

Lookin' good!

Yep! Red. Now it's a subtle mix between the two since the light is more mixed. I'm about to add some true blue t5 bulbs tonight. We'll see what color it becomes next!

My war coral does the same thing with new growth, color is more grey and green, then turns red.

So I've been failing to update. I have done a lot to the tank in terms of adding corals. I've picked up some great frags from people. My frag shelf rock is pretty much full! I've decided I really love monti and acans, and I'm adding to that collection way too often!

So I've picked up:

2 rainbow acans

1 red acan

1 blue/green acan

1 mystic monti

1 wwc grafted cap monti

1 Halloween chalice

1 Miami Hurricane chalice

ccb988812612f8d44d11de0b659b469b.jpg The hurricane chalice

66df37d09ed0916a3209bea4086c4bcd.jpg Halloween chalice

caf7140201e1b438e322aee79c39d4b1.jpg The leptastrea I won at auction.

ac72c47d41f5c89d192cd126b8c18c0e.jpg This is one of the lps brain from FFE. Anyone know what it is specifically?

So I've been failing to update. I have done a lot to the tank in terms of adding corals. I've picked up some great frags from people. My frag shelf rock is pretty much full! I've decided I really love monti and acans, and I'm adding to that collection way too often!

So I've picked up:

2 rainbow acans

1 red acan

1 blue/green acan

1 mystic monti

1 wwc grafted cap monti

1 Halloween chalice

1 Miami Hurricane chalice

ccb988812612f8d44d11de0b659b469b.jpg The hurricane chalice

66df37d09ed0916a3209bea4086c4bcd.jpg Halloween chalice

caf7140201e1b438e322aee79c39d4b1.jpg The leptastrea I won at auction.

ac72c47d41f5c89d192cd126b8c18c0e.jpg This is one of the lps brain from FFE. Anyone know what it is specifically?

My war coral does the same thing with new growth, color is more grey and green, then turns red.

I love that about corals. Although I'm sure it's annoying if you bought one specifically for a color and then it changes.  But I love that they are always growing, changing, and just ALIVE!