Clownfish looks sick

Guest maestro774

Guest maestro774

My female clownfish has been healthy for around 2 years, but lately I've noticed that her gills are swollen. They seem to stick out and aren't flush with her body as they normally are. She's also not sleeping near the Frogspawn she hosts and normally sleeps in, she mostly hovers in the middle of the tank at night. Is there something wrong with her?

If she has changed her habits and is flaring her gills, I would suspect that there's something in there, some sort of parasite. You might want to pull her and do a freshwater dip or medicate. Another option is you might want to get a cleaner of some sort. Before doing anything, though, I would do a search (can't remember the site) to see what the symptons represent. I think there was a reference made to it a while back when Johnny from BRK was asking for information on saltwater diseases.

A FW dip may help if it is a parasite, but will only make things worse if it is an infection of some kind. I do NOT think a cleaner will do the trick.

Post pics, that could help.

Guest maestro774

I have a cleaner in the main tank. Right now she's in QT with lowered salinity and I'm dosing Formalin. I'll try to take pics, but she pretty much looks normal except for heavy breathing, sliggishness, not eating and the swollen gills.

Sounds kind of what I might suspect for Brooklynella, which is a parasite. I believe one of the areas it is known to attack is the gill area. Please feel free to research it a bit because this is all from memory and subject to be wrong. I think a fresh water dip in conjunction with the Formalin treatments would be a good thing if it is indeed Brooklynella aka Clownfish Disease.

Hi,

I happen to have a sick female clown fish in my tank now. Instead of starting a new thread, I am writing to see if I can get some help.

The clown was swimming belly up for the past two days and now she is face up in the right corner of the tank. I have a pair of clown for about 6 months now along with a 3" yellow tang, Eibli angel, Bangaii cardinal in a 58g tank. I noticed her tail got torn a bit a week ago, and was kind of sluggish swimming. I have been searched on the Internet, but still not sure what it is going on? The other clown seems to be healthy. Any help will be appreciated.

--Tom

Brook is very bad usually results in death almost as soon as it is diagnosed.

the 2nd clown sounds like a swim bladder problem but more info would help. Sometimes that gets better on it;s own

Guest maestro774

I took a closer look last night and he doesn't have any other signs of Brook. Really, everything seems normal except her gills. Unfourtunately, the swollen gills are prevernting her from eating which I think is why she's so lethargic. I fed her some mysis and it looked like she tried to open her mouth but couldn't.