Reefbox's coral "farm" operation

reefbox

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I was confused about what you were referring to as the rlss " version" this skimmer is all coralvue and has a Diablo Dc5500s pump on it

I did alot Researh on the professional open volute skimmers and they are solid. I'm sure bubble blaster equipped skimmers are pretty awesome too

How does that skimmer perform? I heard rlss was having serious problems with their version and some places aren't carrying it anymore due to the problems.

Not true. Pumps are solid. What do you think Waveline pumps are ? RO and BK DC pumps are re-branded and molded in different color plastic.

I'm going off what I am told Dc. Salty Supply said they are gonna stop carrying the rlss version like that skimmer due to lots of problems.it might not be the pump that is the issue.. I did not ask them to elaborate.. Might be another design flaw?

I guess I was confused about what you were referring to as the rlss " version" this skimmer is all coralvue and has a Diablo Dc5500s pump on it

I did alot Researh on the professional open volute skimmers and they are solid. I'm sure bubble blaster equipped skimmers are pretty awesome too

I was referring to the RLSS DB8I which looked like the same skimmer type as the one you posted above. I have not done research on either of them. I was just curious how this style performs and if you tried it out yet. I am sure it is a solid skimmer :-) I just saw salty supply wasn't carrying the RLSS DB8I version due to issues(unk. What)

Lol. Well, the 40 breeders system will be fully plumbed up by this week. I've got some friends coming over to help me with the setup. As for the acrylic tank that has strip bracing for its "eurobrace", that will either be sold or sent off to Adam to cut a new one piece Eurobrace like it should have been in the beginning. I've also got 2 deep blue 80g RR tanks coming in on Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a really nice system. You're going to have to sell a good many corals to pay that off. I would pick corals that are faster growers and not what you have on your list. You will spend a lot of time and energy on Acans and Favias, may not be worth it. That is a good bit of surface area with that many tanks. What are your plans for humidity control?

Lol. Well, the 40 breeders system will be fully plumbed up by this week. I've got some friends coming over to help me with the setup. As for the acrylic tank that has strip bracing for its "eurobrace", that will either be sold or sent off to Adam to cut a new one piece Eurobrace like it should have been in the beginning. I've also got 2 deep blue 80g RR tanks coming in on Tuesday.

Just to be clear the tank was not built by Adam incorrectly.

That's a really nice system. You're going to have to sell a good many corals to pay that off. I would pic corals that are faster growers than what you have on your list. You will spend a lot of time and energy on Acans and Favias, may not be worth it. That is a good bit of surface area with that many tanks. What are your plans for humidity control?

+1 on the humidity It will creep up fast

Hey Coral Hind, what kind of corals would you suggest to grow?

Most SPS or Softies grow fast enough to make it worth it. LPS are very slow growers and not really worth the time/energy. If you are ordering large acans or brains and chopping them up and then letting them heal before selling then it can work but growing out mother LPS colonies to create a recurring profit is not worth it to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I apologize for the extended absence. Just to clarify , the Tank was not made by Artfully Acrylic. I had just contacted him to see what could be done with the tank itself. For years , I've dealt with John of Advance Acrylics , who's always done a stellar job with the overall quality ... and not once did I ever encounter such a lousy job regarding the quality of work or lack of professionalism as I have with this particular vendor. I feel that quality of the end product and professionalism by any vendor towards consumers is essential.

Just look at Quantum Reefs....

Anyways, sorry for the rant.

As summer continues on, I've run across several issues that have distracted me and slowed down my progress of setting this thing up. I assure you all that it is going to happen, and there will be updates soon.

To those who were curious about the increases humidity issues, that's something that will be handled by dehumidifiers and good overall ventilation. As far as corals are concerned, I'm planning on dedicating a certain percentage of the farm space to various types of lps corals, ie;

Acanthastrea lord, Favia, favites,etc.

I'm planning on experimenting various growing methods etc. Another percentage will be dedicated to previously farmed corals to a certain extent. I will keep you all posted .