Reefbox's coral "farm" operation

reefbox

Hey there fellow members!

Id like to get a detailed thread on my coral propagation system and thought I'd share it with you all. I'm not sure if this Is the proper thread to post a "build" , but the topic is fitting, so here it goes. I've been keeping saltwater tanks for about a decade now, and I've learned quite a bit about the hobby during that time. My interest in keeping coral started about 5 years ago , and it's fueled my passion to learn as much about these animals and their care ever since.

I've worked in several stores over the years , and I've been bouncing the idea to coral propagation for quite some time now.

My goal for this thread is to share my experiences and challenges of operating a coral " farming" system and hopefully inspire others to do the same down the road. I will post more details in the morning. Stay tuned!

- Reefbox

20140324_215858_zpsa5f0681b.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of corals will you be farming? Thats a nice long frag tank too! Do you think 8" will be a good height? To many questions so i will wait for you to update further.

I'm going to be farming various species & morphs of Montipora , acanthastrea lord,

Favia, zoas/protos/palys different species of chalice corals, and various morphs of A.millipora . I plan on using various aquacultured corals for some of the mother colonies.

Just a quick update:

So, after some careful consideration I have decided on the following

Equipment list for the approx the 240 Gallon farm system;

Lighting : AI HYDRA 52 x (?)

Skimmer : Vertex Alpha 200

Nutrient Control: Reef-dynamics bio - pellet recirculating reactor.

Return 1× waveline 10000ii DC pump

Maybe 2 of them..

AI HYDRA 52 Are you sure? You are coral farming not setting up a show tank. Ti would work.

Following along. I want to see how this gets put together. Looks like a great start!

(edited)

AI HYDRA 52 Are you sure? You are coral farming not setting up a show tank. Ti would work.

Maybe just Hydra led.. .. I want to be able to tweak the spectrum so i can experiment with color, growth etc.

Edited by reefbox

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance you could get sunlight to this setup?  If it's in the basement that's a nonstarter.  But if it's in an upstairs room perhaps you could put a light tube through the attic.  It just seems to me that once you pay the electric costs of lights and pumps you may not have as high a profit as the extra light and growth from sunlight.

I haven't farmed corals before, so just take my advice with a grain of salt.

Any chance you could get sunlight to this setup?  If it's in the basement that's a nonstarter.  But if it's in an upstairs room perhaps you could put a light tube through the attic.  It just seems to me that once you pay the electric costs of lights and pumps you may not have as high a profit as the extra light and growth from sunlight.

I haven't farmed corals before, so just take my advice with a grain of salt.

+1 or mount a side mount skylight and redirect light to basement windows using reflectors or mirrors.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/lighting-reef-tanks-with-natural-sunlight-119520.html

+1 or mount a side mount skylight and redirect light to basement windows using reflectors or mirrors.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/lighting-reef-tanks-with-natural-sunlight-119520.html

Those sola-tubes are pretty awesome!

Those sola-tubes are pretty awesome!

Had them installed in my garage and loved them. Saves lots of monies.

Get it done already!

lol I know right, I keep checking in to look for pictures and updates

Lol. Yea. I'm getting my skimmer this week and will have the 160 gallon system all plumbed and running by next week hopefully.