47 year old tank

sen5241b

Definitely because of the amphipods.

Where did you serve? My dad was in the Navy long enough to break his back, so he's a disabled vet too... He actually has PTSD from working on the ambulance and in ER. He's an amazing Nurse Practitioner, who now does some part of his work at the VA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That must have been hard. I can't imagine what people who have been in combat have been put through. I hope in the future we can find a way to stop fighting with each other so much. Hugs to you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

After fifty years the Veterans Administration tells me I have PTSD and a disability.  (also hearing loss and tinnitus and probably Fi*@is)

Too bad you can't claim back tax-credits. You know for a fact they'd come after you for back taxes if they had anything due. Too bad the reverse isn't true.

I just took a video.  The mandarin is only in the beginning for a few seconds and you can't see the bluestripe pipefish as they are giving birth and stay hidden when they do that.  You also can't see the possum wrasse and two Gecko gobies that never come out.  But they are there as well as a huge urchin, decorator crab, anemone crab and numerous other crabs.

So I was looking in my tank and noticed all these tiny red things in the back at the bottom in the dark.  I figured they were the fry of something and got a little excited.  Then I remembered I only have a few paired fish and except for the fireclowns, none of them are red and clown fry don't lay around on the gravel waiting for the Good Humor man to come around, they kind of swim around trying to get eaten like most fry do.

I got my reading glasses and saw they were flatworms.  Thousands of them just laying around thinking of what to do next.

I kind of like flatworms and think they are kind of cool.  I also like their lifestyle just hanging out, checking things out and shooting the breeze.

In a few weeks they will be bored and disappear but if I was a Noob or if I was thinking inside the box or on LSD, Rogain or Rolaids, I would throw "Flatworm Exit" in there maybe with some Tree Stump Remover and insecticide to rush their exit.

I think of them as free invertebrates who can stay as long as they like as long as they don't cause havoc or start removing the paint on my Man Cave walls. 
I put them under my microscope and they are certainly cool.  I will ty to take a picture, but I am not sure I can get them to pose.

If I had the time and ambition I would go and check out my tank now in the dark because it looked like my bluestripe pipefish should have given birth last night as he was really pregnant.  They spawn all the time but I never caught sight of the fry which are born alive and must be about as big as
this --------> ' <--------

(an old picture and not from this pregnancy)
2015-02-04%2005.14.26_zpsjtqaw5s5.jpg

Yesterday I went to Home Depot with my friend and as we drove there I had to suddenly stop the car.  There was a cow in the middle of the street.
A big cow.  Now me living most of my life closer to New York City the only cows I saw were in a bun covered in pickles and onions with a side of fries so I don't know much about cows except for the picture of them on the side of a milk carton.

We looked around and saw another cow in an enclosure and being I went to High School and everything we put two and two together and figured the thing ran away.
So we got out and went up to the house where the other cow was and knocked on the door.  No one was home.  Just then a lady comes up the driveway all frantic looking.  She probably thought we were there to steal the other cow.

We told her about the cow in the street and she said that is her Daughter's cow and didn't know what to do.  I told her we were professional cow rustlers and would help her catch the cow in the street.
Now she was older than me and I am almost 70 waiting to have a knee replacement and a bad back and my friend is just a year younger than me so the three of us didn't exactly look like The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

We "run" up to the cow waving our arms and yelling at "Buttercup" to turn around and come with us but she really liked the neighbors grass and wouldn't come.

Just then 3 Police cars pull up because someone called them about this run away cow.   One Cop asked me if it was a girl cow or a boy cow. :rolleyes:
I said it's a cow and although I am not a Pulitzer Prize winner I know they are all girls.  Besides that it's name is Buttercup.

I mean thats like asking what do they call Watchman gobi girls.  I almost told the cop that if his Mother didn't have any children, he also probably wouldn't have any. :cool:
But I figured I shouldn't say that and the cops were real nice and helped us corral Buttercup.

So after 20 minutes we get Buttercup near the fence.  My friend pulls out the pin in the fence to open that section, and about 50' of the fence falls flat on the ground.
Now the other cow (who was also a girl) starts t make a run for it.  I get in front of her but didn't know her name so I said "Maam"  please go back in the enclosure as I am too tired and old to chase you.
She didn't listen until I showed her a picture of a hamburger.

WE finally got Buttercup back where she belonged and went over to repair the fence which was falling apart.  The woman thanked us and we continued on to Home Depot
That was my most exciting visit to that store. :D

Here is the broken fence where Buttercup got out of.  I was to busy to get a picture of her.

Broken%20Fence_zpsyzxwij2i.jpg

OMG, my brand new yellow clown gobi is covered in parasites.  :confused:  I have to turn in my Aquarist card.  :eek:

I think I should have dipped him in stump remover, then spray painted him with prizapro while electroplating him with copper.  I am so scared and don't know what to do.  :(
Should I go bungee jumping with a rubber band or stick my head in a bucket of tar and feathers!!!  I am such a Noob.  AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  :rolleyes:

I think I am going to catch all my fish by removing everything in my tank including the tag that says where it was made then I will let it go fallow for 7 or 8 months, yes thats what I will do.  Then I will treat him for flukes and flounders.  ;Wideyed

012_zpsfznltodt.jpg

We are having some company tonight and I am making one of my favorite meals.  Manhattan Clam Chowder.  We live in New York so we don't make much New England Chowder which is actually a lot easier to make.  We have to drive 20 minutes to find a good Italian market because regular supermarkets just won't do.
This chowder comes out so good that if you tilt your head, your brains will fall out.  No really.  It's really good.
I saved one clam for my fish  :agree:

IMG_2225%201_zpsgthcdri9.jpg

My bluestripe pipefish is more pregnant than I have ever seen a pipefish and I assume that either last night or tonight should be their birthday.  I will look at the tank before the lights come on with a flashlight to see if I can find any fry.

The weird thing is the female bluestripe thinks she is mated with the much larger Janss pipefish as they spend all their time together while the poor pregnant male sulks in a hole waiting to give birth. 

Here are the pipefish, the male is pregnant but this was a different pregnancy and he is much more pregnant now.

This is the Janss when I got him about a year ago.  He looks sad.  Now his colors are fluorescent looking and very bright and he has little protrusions on him like a sturgeon.  A really nice looking fish which is probably why the female bluestripe dumped her old man.

IMG_15281_zpsgbfihkao.jpg

My clown gobi is all healed, no spots, no rashes, no hives, nothing but bright yellow.  And I didn't have to fresh water dip her, prixapro, chloriquin sulfate, or shut his lights off.  He (or she) is fine and will live out her life for another 8 or 9 years in Bliss.  :rolleyes:

Of course if I would have quarantined her, then put her in a hospital tank, the ich would have gotten worse, then I would have had to put her on life support and go on the disease forum (God forbid) then a few days later she would have croaked and I would have had to blame the store, wholesaler, shipper or the poor guy in the canoe who collected her.   :ohmy:

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow about 6:00 I will be speaking at the Chocolate Factory in Riverhead on 58.  It is going to be about Viet Nam, not fish which is my favorite topic.  But I was asked to speak about this so if anyone wants to go to sleep, come by. 

I didn't get top billing, I am behind a few people from a Moose Lodge. cool.gif
https://allevents.in/new%20york/vete...20002541806184

Edited by paul b

This week I added a purple dottyback, Coral croucher gobi, queen anthius, yellow wrasse and female mandarin.  I only want one more fish, a dragon faced pipefish then my tank will be at capacity.  It's actually over capacity now but almost all my fish are very small and that yellow wrasse will probably jump out as they normally do. :confused:

I think now I have, besides those fish:
Copperband
2 fireclowns
mandarin
2 Gecko Gobies
2 bluestripe pipefish  (they had babies two days ago)
Janss pipefish
perchlet
2 unknown red fish
algae bleeny
some other kind of bleeny
2 queen anthius
scooter bleeny
possum wrasse
watchman gobi

I think that's it but I probably forgot one or two because the majority of my fish are hiders and I almost never see them.  People that want their fish to be seen get tangs, angels and manta rays.  My tank is not meant to be a thing of beauty, it is an experiment to see how healthy and how long I can keep a particular fish.  I can't remember the last time I lost a fish to disease but it was probably in the 80s.
Every one of my fish was put into my tank with no quarantine and no observation tank.  Every one of them ate right away.  The ones that I can see anyway.
In a natural tank where the fish are not quarantined, fed correctly and are immune
feel at home and don't have any problems.  They are also not Sissy fish or Snowflakes that have to be coddled.  A natural, not very sterile tank fed food with bacteria in it make the fish bulletproof.  I have shot some of them with a 45 and it just wounded them. :rolleyes:

This is my wifes computer and I can't put up pictures.  My computer crashed and I have another one in a box sitting on the counter.  I brought it to the Geek Squad and they said I needed to make an appointment.  I am not good with appointments so I just bought another one.  Computers are very cheap now and they give you one free if you buy a box of pretzels.  I remember when computers were as big as a school bus and made of wood and you had to mortgage your home to get one, and all they did was add and subtract.  :rolleyes:
If you got a really expensive one there would be a picture of Myley Cyrus wearing her Mickey Mouse Ears.  She was in the Mickey Mouse Club then.:cool:

Here is me speaking at that Veterans talk.  The guy in the foreground, Phil Keith, wrote the book about Fire Support Base Illingworth.  The battle I was in and why they asked me to speak.
He was in the Air Force and was shot down and had a bullet go right through his chest.  He received a Silver Star for that and in my mind, a Hero.

Me%20Speaking_zpsy6ituipb.jpg

Thumbs way up, Paul! 

I lost a good friend early this year who served in Vietnam as a Cobra pilot. Shot through the foot during one mission and met his future wife who was a nurse in the hospital. 

Forrest Snyder was a Pink Panther and is mentioned/pictured in "Through the Valley, My Captivity in Vietnam" by Bill Reeder (another PP who also flew a Cobra and was one of the last to be returned home (March 27, 1973).) Bill was the last US Army soldier taken prisoner in Vietnam.

I've got a few books underway about that time. I don't yet have The Illingworth book on my list. I found a little about it  in an essay written by Phil Keith here.  I'm going to add the book to my list of to-reads now. Tell Mr. Keith that you made a sale.

Tom, FSB Illingworth is a book of how 6 or 7 people fought in that battle and it gives the history of the battle and lots of information about it.  Illingworth was the 6th bloodiest battle of that war and as Phil writes in the book:
The struggle at Fire Base Illingworth was the worst battle of the worst single day of the war in the year 1970. It was a battalion versus regiment slugfest with a 40% casualty rate on one side (the US) and better than a 50% casualty rate on the other (the 272nd NVA Regiment).

You can read an excerpt of the book here.  I learned more about the battle from the book than actually being in the battle because as you may know.  If you are in something like that, especially in the dry season, you can't see more than a few yards so you only know what is happening right around you and not what everyone else is doing.  I didn't realize it was that big until I went around after the battle to check the 150 or so that we killed.  The actual battle starts way down the page next to the picture of the book
Edited by paul b

Tom, FSB Illingworth is a book of how 6 or 7 people fought in that battle and it gives the history of the battle and lots of information about it.  Illingworth was the 6th bloodiest battle of that war and as Phil writes in the book: The struggle at Fire Base Illingworth was the worst battle of the worst single day of the war in the year 1970. It was a battalion versus regiment slugfest with a 40% casualty rate on one side (the US) and better than a 50% casualty rate on the other (the 272nd NVA Regiment).     You can read an excerpt of the book here.  I learned more about the battle from the book than actually being in the battle because as you may know.  If you are in something like that, especially in the dry season, you can't see more than a few yards so you only know what is happening right around you and not what everyone else is doing.  I didn't realize it was that big until I went around after the battle to check the 150 or so that we killed.  The actual battle starts way down the page next to the picture of the book https://vvmf.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/the-battle-of-fire-base-illingworth/
That's the same page that I linked to above. Yes, it kept me on the edge of my seat. The book should arrive in a few days and I look forward to reading it.

I was trying to post something I wrote but I can't.  Ctrl-V didn't work and Paste doesn't work.  I even wrote the entire thing on my screen in Magic Marker, but that also didn't work. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  It used to work.

I can't post on this forum and it drives me nuts.  I liked it better when computers were made of wood and this forum worked like all other forums.  I am just old and cranky and these things don't work for old people.  It's a conspiracy.