Another tank...What..,

JR-Tanked150

Well it's finally happened our daughter has asked for her 1st saltwater tank. So we are thinking about starting her a nano tank. We have asked her for a "book report" on why she wants one, the size she wants and what she want to put in it. But she wants a bigger tank than a nano, she has something for predator fish/poisonous fish and conch.

Her birthday is coming up in May and she will be 10. So we have awhile to figure it out.

So I'm asking how old were you when you started you first tank and what size was it?

I was over 40 and it was a 90. :laugh: Probably not in the realm of answers that you were looking for.

I think it's a great way to teach responsibility, and it's great that she wants to learn. Treat it as you would a dog, or any other animal: You have to walk it, feed it, change it's litterbox, let it out for the bathroom, whatever the situation may be.

You could make it: You have to do your own water changes, you have to learn how the cycle works, you have to research compatibility yourself, and we will see if you can start with 1 fish/snail/coral, and move up if you're still interested.

At the very least, it sounds like you guys could end up using the equipment if she loses interest once she has to put some work in. I like the book report idea, it sounds like she will be in it to win it.

She already takes carry of 2 guinea pigs, she feeds them, plays with them, and cleans their cage. And she has been doing that for 2 years this summer.

She wanted a small 3g nano, then looking at fish she was "I need a 10g," then an hour later "Can I have a 40g."

I think it's a great way to teach responsibility, and it's great that she wants to learn. Treat it as you would a dog, or any other animal: You have to walk it, feed it, change it's litterbox, let it out for the bathroom, whatever the situation may be.

You could make it: You have to do your own water changes, you have to learn how the cycle works, you have to research compatibility yourself, and we will see if you can start with 1 fish/snail/coral, and move up if you're still interested.

At the very least, it sounds like you guys could end up using the equipment if she loses interest once she has to put some work in. I like the book report idea, it sounds like she will be in it to win it.

ok Isaac doesn't have kids LOL

Thats a lot of work for a kid.  But water changes and feeding are great! Not sure I would be down for a poisonous/predator and not because of your child but for the ones that come over/sleep over...kids are all idiots when together...its murphys law

ok Isaac doesn't have kids LOL

100% correct!!!!!!

I agree with "kids are stupid" - especially friends. It's a liability for you as the parent to have something that's known to be aggressive or poisonous. Someone will be tempted.

I had my first saltwater at 17 I think - damsels, then a lionfish, then seahorses - at different times. Fresh before that.

She could probably start with something interesting or unique without going predator. Species only offer tons of opportunities, and small is better for some fish. Biotopes are cool, and would require some research. I like 5-10 gallons for kids because the water changes are more manageable, and much less expensive. I love my little picotope. Nothing is better than a water change with a 16ounce cup!

I started with a 55 gallon fresh water when i was 14, then went and got in SCUBA diving and took a couple trips. My parents wouldn't let me change to saltwater til I was on my own since they had to take care of the freshwater when I went to school.

I was over 40 and it was a 90. :laugh: Probably not in the realm of answers that you were looking for.

lol my very first tank was a gumball tank when i was 7...ugly freshwater fish...mainly neon tetras,lol

Now if we're talking freshwater, I was probably around 9 and it was a 10-gallon tank that belonged to my dad. It had a slate bottom and chrome trim, as I recall.

Now if we're talking freshwater, I was probably around 9 and it was a 10-gallon tank that belonged to my dad. It had a slate bottom and chrome trim, as I recall.

wow.

H

I use to have tanks like that... After letting the stuff inside go (we would catch stuff at the creek), broke them for fun when I was young... greatly regret that now.lol

Anywho, start with a 20g, 30g, or a 40g... very easy nice, sizes. But more volume then a 10g. Should be easier, ... the 20/30g will be good space savers as well, not coming off the wall as far as a 40g would..

Have Fun. Take Pics. ;)

She is interested in eels, puffers, boxfish, rays, batfish and lionfish. Possibly pipefish and seahorses.

We would make her do the majority of the work and she would have to earn money to buy anything to put in the tank. Plus we have one rule was it was not going in her room.

My first saltwater was when I was about 21. I think 20-30 gallon is a really good size. Maybe rig an auto top off for when you go out of town. There are a lot of cool predators that are small like smaller puffers, scorpion fish, dwarf lion fish, anglers etc. Have her get one and see if she can take care of ot for several months.

I had a 60 gal  FW when I was 7 

didnt start sw until I was 30 but I think a 40B ( my 1st tank is a great size to start ) any bigger and it starts getting expensive