sixline wrasse pairing

flooddc

I decided to get a mate for my six-line and was fortunate enough to locate one locally.

Boy! it was intense. I've never seen so much aggression in a tiny little fish.

He was in a mission as soon as I released his new mate into the tank. For two day straight, he searched every corners of the tank for her. On the third days, I observed the tank for a long while, but I was not able to locate her and he appears to be back to his normal routine (foraging for food). But finally located her. His aggression toward her has decreased tremendously, but still chase after her once a while. 

Well! today he have zero aggression and they appear to be bonding (the girl is still shy around him). Hopefully, they will do there dance soon!

I also noticed that his color is much more brighter.

There isn't a way to tell if one is male or female right? Did you just get one thats smaller than the one you already have?

From what I read, they are born female (opposite to clownfish) and turn into male. If you observed closely, male is bigger and has more intense coloration and thicker, while female is pale and slimmer. Because my 2nd one was also a bit mature, IMO, it was attempting to become the dominant one. That's why it took longer to be submissive to the other.

So the smaller the better.

That is wonderful that they have stopped the aggression! Hopefully they stay happy.

They are swimming together now :)

• 4 months later...

Wow congrats! They went from fighting to making babies! Sounds like my wife and I lol kidding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once I get my setup ready, could I bother you for some of the babies?  I have water in my tank now but it could be another few months before I get live food ready for baby fish.

Wow congrats! They went from fighting to making babies! Sounds like my wife and I lol kidding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol

Once I get my setup ready, could I bother you for some of the babies?  I have water in my tank now but it could be another few months before I get live food ready for baby fish.

Sure! I haven't able to find anything online about breeding sixline. So it would be a cool project/experiment.

Lmk whenever you ready. Now I just need to keep my eyes on how and where she deposit her eggs.

I think most wrasses lay pelagic eggs in the open water, I'd be very pleasantly surprised to learn if they laid demersal eggs on a substrate.  I will look them up and let you know what I find.

• 1 year later...

Have you had any success with raising the young?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have not even have the oportunity to see their eggs yet. At best, is the above video of them doing the dancing and next day seen the female with flat stomach. I guess she spray her eggs out at night or at some point when I am not watching.

I have not even have the oportunity to see their eggs yet. At best, is the above video of them doing the dancing and next day seen the female with flat stomach. I guess she spray her eggs out at night or at some point when I am not watching.

How would you tell the gender difference?

How would you tell the gender difference?

See post #5

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/63983-sixline-wrasse-paring/?p=568543

I has yet find any info in captive breeding six-line.

According this: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/wrasses/SixLineWrasse.php 

sixline has yet bred in captivity. maybe this would make a great project for someone to try. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Last week I notice the female 6line was inactive. I look around the tank and spotted her hiding in hole of the rock. Feed the fish and she came out to eat but very skinny and pale. Try to catch her but she went into hiding. Keep my eyes on her and up my feeding. But in the past 3 days, I could not locate her. Not sure whether she passed and the Serpent starfish finished her up or still in hiding. Hopping for the latter! Sad valentine day for the boy wrasse.

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, ABzReef said:

wow nice, I am looking forward for this

The last post, from February of this year, indicated that the female had died.... Not much to look forward to, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, ABzReef said:

wow nice, I am looking forward for this

1 hour ago, Origami said:

The last post, from February of this year, indicated that the female had died.... Not much to look forward to, unfortunately.

Thanks!

yeah, the female died. They lived happily together for a short 4 years.