!!Skimmers Gone Nuts!!

John Ford

I finally had the time to clean my skimmer, skimmer pump, and return pump today. It's been months since my last clean due to the baby and basement build I have going on. Now it's kickin my butt trying to dial it back in. At least it's going to skim like a boss again.... Once it settles down :/

I usually wipe the neck and clean the cup every time. If I don't crud builds up quick in the neck. I have a aqua c ev180 and it has a flat surface between the neck and cup which gets nasty quick. My mag 9.5 was real dirty and the 3/4 hose feeding my skimmer was getting blocked so over the course of the last few months I've been opening the air valve to make up the difference.

Yesterday I put it back in and assumed it would be a few hours before any sort of head was formed. Two hours later my cup was overflowing back into my sump and spraying water everywhere. I had to shut the air off and now it's barely open and producing skim. I need to clean it more often for sure!

Might be the oils in your hands are messing with the surface tension of the bubbles. Should be fine in a day or 2. Also running it in vinegar water mix will take off the coralline and calcium deposits.

I think everybody's skimmer does this after a nice cleaning. I usually dial mine all the way back and adjust until I have it back to normal. I like to end up skimming dry into the neck, I get some satisfaction when I clean the cup, knowing that's all waste that I've pulled out of my water.

It's fine. I had it to my pre-clean settings. I soaked it, scrubbed it then ran vinegar through it for a hour after I cleaned it. It's just back to -full- operation again. :)

I actually had to shut the air intake completely off then slowly crack it open again

• 5 months later...
(edited)

i use the skim to fertilize my plants.  There may be a small amount of salt, but the plants love it.

P.S.   I might add    MY OUTSIDE PLANTS    LOL

Edited by gwweber

I could imagine the smell after using it inside~

i use the skim to fertilize my plants. There may be a small amount of salt, but the plants love it.

P.S. I might add MY OUTSIDE PLANTS LOL