Power Out

Derson21

So my power went out last night around 1AM.  I do not have an alternate power supply so I wrapped my tank in a comforter to try to contain the heat and help form the water temp falling fast.  I had to leave my house at 7:30 AM to take my daughter to school and go to work, still didn't have any power but the temp on the tank was still at 78-77 degrees.  I have no idea if or when the power will be back, neither does the power company. Do you think I'll have anything living by the time I get home this evening around 530 or 6?

I didn't have any battery powered pumps and nothing was open when I had to leave for work/school.  Nothing running at all, I feel like I'm going to breakdown any minute.

I have my wife going home at lunch to see if power has been restored.  I work over an hour from my house so me going home during lunch isn't an option.

Yes, called them around 5 AM, 7AM, 10AM and 11.  Still can't tell me any approx. time that it would be restored or even what the actual cause is.  I'm sure ice/weather related but they don't know the cause of the problem yet.

What livestock do you have in the tank?

fingers crossed the pumps are back on for you...

have her stop in the way home and grab quite a few battery operated pumps just in case from petco etc...always good to have on hand and inexpensive. Need to get some oxygen in that water stat

What livestock do you have in the tank?

fingers crossed the pumps are back on for you...

have her stop in the way home and grab quite a few battery operated pumps just in case from petco etc...always good to have on hand and inexpensive. Need to get some oxygen in that water stat

+1.   If you don't use it today... you'll have it, and thus, be more prepared for the future should something happen again...  even providing a fish some oxygen during transport as well... Good to Have.

im thinking in desperate times you can probably stir the water around with a wooden spoon and at least get some movement in there for them 

And try to slap the surface of the water around. Anything to get some more oxygen in there. Oxygen depletion is probably a bigger concern than temperature dropping a few degrees.

where are you located? shoot me a PM with your details - i'd be happy to help out immediately, if you like. i have a battery pump, a power inverter to run some pumps from your car or a car battery, even a generator you could borrow if you want if it's going to be a while.

yes, o2 depletion will likely be the first of the problems and the first to be taken care of by whatever means available per advice above.

do you have a neighbor with a key? it may be an awkward request to ask them to enter and take a wooden spoon to your tank but i'd much rather deal with that than the possible alternative case.

great thinking to wrap the tank with the comforter. i don't know the size of your tank but it medium to large, you'll be surprised how long it takes for large differences in temperature to occur.

Edited by monkiboy

news just said that they are hoping to get the power back on in your area by friday.... not good news in the least. You need to get a system in place in case it is for the next 24 hours. 

For fish and corals they can handle temps in the upper 60's as long as it doesn;t last more than 36 hours. As it was said, O2 is important and flow for corals. It doesn't look like you have sensitive fish and corals so you should be fine.

+1 to the advice above. It's frustrating when you can't do much to help. Sccoping water and dumping it back in several times with a large cup or pitcher will help too. You will probably be surprised what survives. One of my tanks is a pico that happily survived a power outage and is still going with just an air tube 2 months later (lost a filter pump when power was restored). Everyone is happy and healthy.

Anything picked up can be returned to the pet store if it's unused. And petco will refund even if it is used. I have even seen the battery powered pumps in walmart. If you have a power inverter for the car, run an extension cord for a short burst of power.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.  I'm leaving in 15 minutes which should put me home by 130 after stopping at the store for battery powered pumps.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Where are you located. I a sure we have members in your area. It is important to get O2 flowing in the tank. I over looked that when my tank cracked and lost fish due to lack of O2. Air pump on battery or generator. I hope this helps. plug a converter into your car and run a long ext cord. I own a diesel that I can run all night.

Well I ended up stopping and getting a generator. Have a powerhead, heater and lights on and going to get some water ready for a change. Yellow leather is looking rough and the RBTA looks pretty stressed out. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. I'll update with progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news indeed! Make sure you tell your wife that the generator is partially for the refrigerator not just for the tank! GL with the recovery. Hopefully power come back soon!