Will this work???

TheyCallMeMr.703

I just got done building my stand, minus the skin. I'm curious whether it is strong enough for a 90g. I built it for a 75, but would 90 be pushing it?? 
I have a chance to upgrade here, just want to make sure my stand is able to support the weight...
 The top and bottom ''frame'' is built with 2x6's, and the rest is 2x4's. Is this strong enough??? The frame top and bottom ''frame'', are also pressure treated for good measure as they will be getting wet at one point, and plan on this stand being used for Many Years to come...

So... Is it strong enough???

Here is a blue-print. I took out all middle braces, minus one to help keep its shape....
   As this is a glass tank, and only needs to be supported around the edges, I felt as tho' this would be a good call.75gallonStand2.jpg

Quick Pic. of The Stand, still need to add One Middle, support brace.12246213444_f4ecb7839d.jpg

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

I'm assuming that is sun wood and not outdoor pressure treated....make sure you seal every inch of it though....the 'treatment'' is a chemical....

Edited by smallreef

Lol Rob...that ain't holding my car...but it will def. hold a 90g tank...

Where's Origami or one of those tech types that hang out here? I believe that it will indeed hold a car if the car were placed onto the stand and not moved laterally. Each corner has 3) 2x4's vertical and reinforced with cross bracing, it'll probably hold more than 2000#.

I can run a beam deflection and compression analysis, but I believe that it would easily hold a tank - the Army kind. As long as it was balanced and didn't fold.

Seal the PT lumber. Kim is right that the chemicals that they use today include a lot of copper. I ran into some problems recently when I left a board across the top of my sump (to work on some stuff overhead) and forgot about it. Some salt creep and a couple of distressed acropora alerted me to the problem.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Yessir, used Rust'Oleoem Screws.  And also, Did not know about the severity to how bad the treatment process was. I planned on sealing it all very thoroughly, but did not even have a clue about that, will make sure to give it that, ''Extra Coat''.  Thanks Guys. :)

They used to use an arsenic-based compound. But, because of concerns that the PT wood was being used in so many kids playground sets, the industry moved to a copper-based compound. Either way, the compound doesn't belong in your tank. But keeping it out is not difficult if you just take precautions.

Where's Origami or one of those tech types that hang out here? I believe that it will indeed hold a car if the car were placed onto the stand and not moved laterally. Each corner has 3) 2x4's vertical and reinforced with cross bracing, it'll probably hold more than 2000#.

Agreed.

They used to use an arsenic-based compound. But, because of concerns that the PT wood was being used in so many kids playground sets, the industry moved to a copper-based compound. Either way, the compound doesn't belong in your tank. But keeping it out is not difficult if you just take precautions.

Thats why they don't make toothpicks out of preasure treated wood. :rolleyes:

Also remember that the preasure treatment just makes the wood less prone to rot and termites,  Preasure treated wood is cheap pine and it warps just like any cheap pine.  But it should be fine for what you are doing. :cool:

take shelter under that colossus next time an earthquake rolls through.... overbuilt and can probably literally hold a car.

Something just a little more overbuilt than this is holding my 220. And it could definitely hold my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran the beam calculation just for grins. Predicted deflection on the top beam is .0035 inches (about the thickness of a piece of paper). Assuming a conservative max deflection of 1/8", that stand could hold nearly 38,000 pounds.

Ran the beam calculation just for grins. Predicted deflection on the top beam is .0035 inches (about the thickness of a piece of paper). Assuming a conservative max deflection of 1/8", that stand could hold nearly 38,000 pounds.

#WINNING.  haha

Good work CDR Data !!!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Lol, I guess it will be good for a 90 gallon. Nice to know that we have enough nerds together to sort that kinda stuff out! I will be coming to you all for all of my technical stuff from now on! Right on!