Frozen food autofeeder project

ctenophore

Testing to see if it can handle high ambient temps this week. Moved it out to garage (i.e., fish room) where it has hit 90 a few times. Not quite as good as I want, but hopefully nothing a little extra insulation can't fix. I will try for a photo update maybe early next week.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very impressive and promising build!

I want to join the queue and get hands on first builds!

While I'm outside of USA (live in UK) hope it would be possible!

Will keep monitoring daily!

Testing to see if it can handle high ambient temps this week. Moved it out to garage (i.e., fish room) where it has hit 90 a few times. Not quite as good as I want, but hopefully nothing a little extra insulation can't fix. I will try for a photo update maybe early next week.

I will take the uninsulated version and keep in in a climate controlled 73-75 degrees. Great planning, glad to hear the details.

I will take the uninsulated version and keep in in a climate controlled 73-75 degrees. Great planning, glad to hear the details.

+1 to that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Monthly reminder to update us on the progress ( with pics) so we can all start planning vacations. It is getting tough putting my fish in a suitcase every time I leave so they can get frozen mysis shrimp in my hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is actually something I could buy with consent from the fun sponge, instead of my normal sneaky techniques, she know's this is why I never want to go away overnight.  

Going on 7.5 weeks since last update........I want to go on a vacation.

I think this is actually something I could buy with consent from the fun sponge, instead of my normal sneaky techniques, she know's this is why I never want to go away overnight.

That is hilarious, but also a good thing sponges do not have eyes to read what you called her!

OK, time for an update. Here is a picture of Justin in Honduras earlier this month with what I can only assume is a non-alcoholic beverage.

10502275_10105344845089411_5184124961019

That is a pretty good update if you can read between the lines ;)

OK, time for an update. Here is a picture of Justin in Honduras earlier this month with what I can only assume is a non-alcoholic beverage.

Hahaha. On a similiar note, my rotifer culture died that week because my manual feeder "forgot about the bucket"...

Can wait for production to begin!

10502275_10105344845089411_5184124961019

That looks like a celebration diving trip after a lot of hard work since HE CAN FEED ALL THOSE ANTHIAS WHILE ON VACATION OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!

I am screaming with happiness!

That looks like a celebration diving trip after a lot of hard work since HE CAN FEED ALL THOSE ANTHIAS WHILE ON VACATION OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!

I am screaming with happiness!

Don't get too excited. I didn't see Justin at the meet, he may not have gotten home yet to see if all those anthias are still kicking ;)

Don't get too excited. I didn't see Justin at the meet, he may not have gotten home yet to see if all those anthias are still kicking ;)

Negative, negative, negative! You need to be positive!

This is totally awesome! 

I can't wait to see what Justin and Dan have cooked up on it :)

I remember when I saw ctenophore's prototype about four years ago, I'm still waiting for this thing to be produced. Hopefully we are getting close.

Maybe they need to run it as a kickstarter to kick things into production speed?  *hint hint* *nudge nugde*

• 1 month later...

1 month reminder for updates and pics. I think it is time to Beta test this on members tanks.

Update: it doesn't run as cool as I want in a hot, humid garage. Not going to mass produce it until it will work in a somewhat extreme environment. But, on the positive side, the temp it holds has been very steady for the past 3 months of continuous duty. So at least the cooler design is reliable so far, even if not acceptible performance.

Update: it doesn't run as cool as I want in a hot, humid garage. Not going to mass produce it until it will work in a somewhat extreme environment. But, on the positive side, the temp it holds has been very steady for the past 3 months of continuous duty. So at least the cooler design is reliable so far, even if not acceptible performance.

I will happily buy one that works in an air conditioned room that's at 73 degrees year round.

I will happily buy one that works in an air conditioned room that's at 73 degrees year round.

The problem with that is if it runs just well enough to handle 73f ambient air, if even the smallest thing starts to degrade in performance (fan dirty, insulation tear, etc) then it may be out of acceptible range for food. Which equals cranky customers, high support costs, etc. Better to do it right the first time :)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with that is if it runs just well enough to handle 73f ambient air, if even the smallest thing starts to degrade in performance (fan dirty, insulation tear, etc) then it may be out of acceptible range for food. Which equals cranky customers, high support costs, etc. Better to do it right the first time :)

This is why I am willing to Beta test it with no comments to anyone else- in a different environment then how you are testing it now to ensure that the final product works in all kinds of environments.

Then you can release it to everyone else at MACNA 2015 with rave reviews!.....While I have been able to go on vacation from Sept 2014 -Sept 2015.  I have a dive trip coming up in Nov., would love to be able to go and keep my fish happy!