Swapping out LED's

Derson21

So I want to swap out some of the whites for Violet and more blues to this fixture and I have no idea where to start.  

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Element-Aquarium-Light-Fixture/dp/B00AT3CYWK

Found this site that I'm going to order the LED's from but not sure which one's I should order.  

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/true-violet/

I assume I'm going to have to take the fixture apart to see what type of LED's to order but I've never dealt with replacing or adding LED's before and was just looking for some insight if anyone had any with this particular fixture or if this is even possible.

Thanks,

Joe

I have the Photon32 and have swapped out my LEDs quite a few times.  After a few iterations, i'm quite happy with the way I got my light fixture set up and I think I got the hang of replacing the LEDs.  You have to have a steady hand, depending how big the LEDs are, and patience.

GL

Unless your getting that light for Free, or incredibly cheaper then marked, Go with a Reefbreeders LED System, or build your own. Each is fairly easy, of course just ordering a new reefbreeders, custom tailored to suit your needs, is still easier then building your own. ;)

That light is garbage compared to what you can can get for your money elsewhere...
 I as well almost bought that light a year or so ago, So much happier went with the ReefBreeders, much more reliable, better customer service, and much easier to work on myself... I just changed Every Single LED, on the D120,the other night, and came out Great, only used a cheap 30w Soldering Iron, and still got the job done... 1st Time as well.lol
  I will be posting a thread on it as well later this weekend, so you can personally see how easy it is to do.... Take your time, Do some research....

Thanks, I'll be following your thread.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with this fixture for the time being, got it as a gift and can't drop $250+ right now on new lights/hanging equip.

I'm going to take it apart this evening and see what I'm working with. I've also found out I could add a inline dimmer, not sure if it will work but I'll update with the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a close up of the LEDs and how they're mounted. Also, if your able to get pictures of the driver, post that, too. It could be helpful to figure out your next step.

Changing out LEDs should be easy. A little solder, maybe a dab of Arctic silver...

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

Also interested in doing the same on a IT2040..following along..What fixture do you have?

check out tony's (ridetheducati) thread for photos and basic direction on the simple task of swapping LEDs on the evergrow fixtures.

check out tony's (ridetheducati) thread for photos and basic direction on the simple task of swapping LEDs on the evergrow fixtures.

Cannot seem to find that thread.

Sorry guys, got distracted with some company over the weekend.  I did get a chance to break the light down a little, took both ends off the fixture to try to access the diodes, but it seems like I have to take all of the lenses off to get to them.  I was going to do that but then realized I didn't have the lights labeled for color so I put what I had done back together and plan on labeling and breaking it down further tonight. Here are photos of what I have done so far... 

post-2633922-0-29082600-1389630748_thumb.jpg

post-2633922-0-55693200-1389630756_thumb.jpg

post-2633922-0-25457400-1389630760_thumb.jpg

post-2633922-0-63275600-1389630765_thumb.jpg

post-2633922-0-33428100-1389630768_thumb.jpg

post-2633922-0-58994300-1389630771_thumb.jpg

Good pictures thus far.

So it looks like you have four panels of 16 lights each controlled by two switches? Is this right? Or are there two other switches on the other end of the light as well? Is the light powered directly from an the wall (an AC source) or does it run using an external power (DC?) power supply? I'm guessing that the red wire off of the switches goes to an LED driver?

Looking forward to more pictures.

Yes, 32 LED's per switch.  They are separated front and back, not side to side.  Meaning that the switch that is in the rear of the light controls the 2 panels across the back and the switch towards the front of the light control the 2 panels towards the the front of the light.

There are two plugs, one for each switch and a driver for each plug.  I'll post detailed pics of the drivers when I get home.  I'm not really sure how it's wired yet, as soon as I figured out that I couldn't access the lights or get the boards out without taking off all of the lenses I put it back together.  I will have more time and less people at my house tonight to get into more detail.

Thanks,

Joe