Apex Codes

Fireman12s

A code repository would be great. I'm invisioning a place where people can describe their setup and post their code.

People could then pick and choose to customize their setup. Once the new setup is configured, the person would post their code to repay the favor.

I'm still configuring my new apex as well.

Maybe standard codes, ups backup, and codes for "if power off".

Devices could include:

Return pumps

Heaters

Power heads (on and wave)

Tunze ATO

Virtual outlets

Email and text best practices

This could be neat!

Matt

A code repository would be great. I'm invisioning a place where people can describe their setup and post their code.

People could then pick and choose to customize their setup. Once the new setup is configured, the person would post their code to repay the favor.

Devices could include:

Return pumps

Heaters

Tunze ATO

Virtual outlets

This could be neat!

Matt

I'm very new with the Apex and this would be a huge help.

(edited)

Devices could include:

Return pumps

Heaters

Tunze ATO

Virtual outlets

This could be neat!

Matt

This is pretty much what I am talking about :)  Custom codes, outside of the manual ;)  Also.. looking at other websites/manuals would take time away from me looking at this website, and clicking on links for our supporters/ advertisers ;)  I mean.. wouldn't you want members to use this site as much as possible..and have the prospect of gaining new members?  Just sayin'.. 

-B  :cool:

Edited by Fireman12s

This is pretty much what I am talking about :)  Custom codes, outside of the manual ;)  Also.. looking at other websites/manuals would take time away from me looking at this website, and clicking on links for our supporters/ advertisers ;)  I mean.. wouldn't you want members to use this site as much as possible..and have the prospect of gaining new members?  Just sayin'.. 

Completely understand.  However, when you get into custom codes that opens up a whole can of worms.  Also, when you get into custom codes and posting them here(which is certainly possible) can be very confusing because I may create a name for something that another person may have a totally different name for.  I think a better idea would be to post what you want to control (stating what name you have assigned in your Apex) and what you want it to do. 

For example, here is a custom code of mine:

Program Type: Advanced

Display Icon:    Light A

Program:

Fallback ON

Set ON

If Outlet H2O_out_pump = ON Then OFF

If Outlet H2O_in_pump = ON Then OFF

If FeedA 005 Then OFF

I doubt many people know what this is for.  However, if I were to say that I want code that if a certain condition exists, the apex will turn something off (in my particular example) a auto top off pump when either of the two above pumps are on.  Then it would make more sense.  I have tons of custom code, but in that code I may have a particular device doing something you may not want it to.

Here are two other examples:

Program:

Fallback OFF

OSC 000:00/010:00/170:00 Then ON

If Outlet mix_salt = ON Then ON

If Outlet SW_Resvr_low = ON Then OFF

The above code turns a pump on for 10 every 3 hours, turns on if another criteria is met, and OFF if yet another criteria is met.

Program Type: Advanced

Display Icon:    Light A

Program:

Set OFF

If Switch5 CLOSED Then ON

Defer 060:00 Then OFF

The above code is associated a breakout box and a doorbell button i rigged up.

It can also get very complicated if you have multiple variables and multiple actions as a result of such variables.  (ie if you have a alarm that when it turns on will turn off on device, turn on something else, send you an email, send a text, etc...).

A site where a lot of people keep their code is reeftronics.net :cool:

If you choose to accept the challenge; I nominate you as the Profilux, Apex, and Reef Angel code steward and organizer.

Edited by ridetheducati

If you choose to accept the challenge; I nominate you as the Profilux, Apex, and Reef Angel code steward and organizer.

I second the nomination.

If you really want me to accept the Challenge (given I have little to no experience with Apex Codes)  I accept!  I am always willing to learn!  PM me me with some ideas about your thoughts, and let's see where we can go from there.  Thanks for the Nomination!

I haven't gotten a PM on this yet. So, is this not happening? :/

I haven't gotten a PM either, so you tell me?!

If you really want me to accept the Challenge (given I have little to no experience with Apex Codes)  I accept!  I am always willing to learn!  PM me me with some ideas about your thoughts, and let's see where we can go from there.  Thanks for the Nomination!

What are YOUR ideas and thoughts? This is something that YOU wanted, and YOU accepted the challenge. Seems like there has been a lot of great recommendations about how to start setting it up.

Here are my personal thoughts:

Although it may seem helpful to have something custom in WAMAS, there is a wealth of information already on the interwebs, including an actual Neptune Apex Community Forum. I'll also link again to the comprehensive manual Tony put up already. Which may have a lot of what you're looking for as well. To me it seems redundant to add it to WAMAS.

I would suggest you start with a thread grown from this threads idea, and give it a shot. Perhaps with discussion, and participation, it could be made into a sticky.

If you decide to maintain a library with various makes/models...include AC-3 as one. Probably a lot of us legacy users...and frankly I'm not very advanced and could stand to learn a lot more.

• 4 months later...

Just saw this thread and I'm absolutely for this idea. In fact, when I was figuring out how to program the new apex, I had this exact wish in my head. Something along the lines of "I wish Wamas had a "controller programming" forum.

Even though it's possible to find everything you could want and more on other forums, it would be awesome to have it here on Wamas as well.

It shouldn't be difficult at all to create another section in general discussion with subsection threads for common equipment and perhaps one for advanced programming.

Example:

It took me hours of research to figure out what the RT function does exactly. And hey, did you know that typing in rt instead of RT while coding will not work?

Having a local forum for this could also promote the community. I know I'd feel much more comfortable reaching out to someone I've met personally for programming help instead of posting something on neptune forum and hoping some random doesn't flame me for not knowing something simple.

I'm sure it wouldn't get populated quickly. But it would be incredibly useful.

(edited)

And as an example of some programming, here is my virtual day heat outlet for the 500w heater. There's four of them for two heaters, day and night respectively.

If Temp < RT+-0.5 Then ON

If Temp > RT+-0.2 Then OFF

If Time 22:00 to 10:00 Then OFF

This has the large heater turn on if the temperature is more than 0.5 degrees off from the season table during the day, from 10am to 10pm. It will turn off when the temp is less than .2 degrees from the season table. The second heater picks up at 0.3 degrees off the table and turns off at 0.1

The cooling is also programmed to kick in when temp is 0.1 above the table and to turn off at 0 difference.

Of course this also changes at night.

Edited by dante411x

And as an example of some programming, here is my virtual day heat outlet for the 500w heater. There's four of them for two heaters, day and night respectively. If Temp < RT+-0.5 Then ON If Temp > RT+-0.2 Then OFF If Time 22:00 to 10:00 Then OFF This has the large heater turn on if the temperature is more than 0.5 degrees off from the season table during the day, from 10am to 10pm. It will turn off when the temp is less than .2 degrees from the season table. The second heater picks up at 0.3 degrees off the table and turns off at 0.1 The cooling is also programmed to kick in when temp is 0.1 above the table and to turn off at 0 difference. Of course this also changes at night.

I assume you mean cooling starts at .1 above (RT+-0.2) otherwise won't they conflict.

I assume you mean cooling starts at .1 above (RT+-0.2) otherwise won't they conflict.

No, that's correct. My heaters turn off at -.1 degree from RT. The fans chill to RT.

Having a local forum for this could also promote the community. I know I'd feel much more comfortable reaching out to someone I've met personally for programming help instead of posting something on neptune forum and hoping some random doesn't flame me for not knowing something simple.

I have never once gotten flamed for not knowing something simple, and I have asked many simple questions before over at the Neptune Forum.

Although it may seem helpful to have something custom in WAMAS, there is a wealth of information already on the interwebs, including an actual Neptune Apex Community Forum. I'll also link again to the comprehensive manual Tony put up already. Which may have a lot of what you're looking for as well. To me it seems redundant to add it to WAMAS.

I would suggest you start with a thread grown from this threads idea, and give it a shot. Perhaps with discussion, and participation, it could be made into a sticky.

I would like to nominate Dante411x as our new Profilux, Apex, and Reef Angel code steward and organizer.

Oh dear. I could do it. No idea how to code the angel and profiluX though

You can accept that challenge if you would like to do so, however, I've linked some handy references below of some people who have already done it for you, for all three.

Neptune Apex and Comprehensive-Ref

Reef Angel

Profilux

• 3 months later...

*bump* on this thread for mling and myself.  Figured thsi would be a helpful reference guide and resource starter.

Bump, the work has been done for you:

You can accept that challenge if you would like to do so, however, I've linked some handy references below of some people who have already done it for you, for all three.

Neptune Apex and Comprehensive-Ref

Reef Angel

Profilux