Sad News - Lanman (Bob Billings)

steveoutlaw

All - Most of you knew that Bob had been sick for quite a while. I had been trying to get in touch with him for a while with no luck.  I just found out why.  Bob passed away on November 13 of this year.  For those of you who knew him, there is nothing I need to say.  But for those of you who didn't, you missed one helluva character.  Bob was a great guy and never hesitated to help anyone out in this hobby.......or with anything else for that matter.  Bob got out of the hobby when he got sick and I helped him unload most of his stuff.  I visited him a number of times after he got out of the hobby and he always had a great attitude.  He's going to be missed.

For those of you who didn't know him, I would suggest you read through his build thread here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/17224-lanman-225-gallon-tank-build/

You can read his obituary here:

http://www.covenantfuneralservice.com/obituaries/robert-e-billings/

Steve.

I would dare to guess that many of us have corals in our tanks that, at one time or another, passed through Bob's hands. In both that way and in memory, he lives on.

Definitely sad news and condolences to his family.  Bob was quite the character and a very stand up guy.  I often visited him for frags and advice.  His contributions has had a positive and lasting impact on the WAMAS community.  He will surely be missed.

Steve - Thank you for posting. 

This is very sad for sure and I am sure he is in a better place now with all the frag tanks he can dream of. I have had the pleasure of meeting him on multiple occasions and got many corals from him. Every time I was there he was always a great time talking with him and checking out his latest frag tank or new coral he was waiting on to grow. He was a H-E-double hockey sticks of a guy and definitely will be missed. :(

Bob was an awesome guy and great reefer! I loved hanging out and talking tanks in his basement.

Steve, thanks for letting us know and for all the help you gave him during the hard times.

Im sure sunce i became a member only summer this year,i never got to meet Bob..im sure ,as i read the praises of his fellow WAMAS members that he was a true reefer and helped out whenever he could and helped whoever he could..i truly wish i could have met him...

Agreed, sad news, I met him a couple times and always learned a lot!

Is there anyway we can save the pictures in his threads, particularly the AEFW ones?  They're a great resource and I would hate to see them lost due to changes in whatever site is hosting the pics.

Bob was certainly at the top of my secret list of favorite WAMAS members. I was already missing him here, but I'm sure many of us will carry on his hobby wisdom, to be seen in members' abilities to continue propagating the corals he shared. It is through them that Bob will continue to live on in the WAMAS community.

Agreed, sad news, I met him a couple times and always learned a lot!

Is there anyway we can save the pictures in his threads, particularly the AEFW ones?  They're a great resource and I would hate to see them lost due to changes in whatever site is hosting the pics.

Images saved to my gallery and the links in Bob's original posts have been edited to link to these local, rather than his Photobucket, images. This should preserve the content.

Thanks for the great suggestion, Sam. It was a lot of manual work, but definitely worth it.

What I see here is an example of an awsome person. What I gather from the comments made in this thread is that the word was should not be used because as we all can see Bob spirit still lives on in the WAMAS community. I hope to live on this way as well. I recommend we create an WAMAS award that reflects Bob's commitment to the Hobby and his fellow Man/Woman.

I met him couple times.. he had love and passion with reef tank and life.. very kind guy as well.

My prayer goes to his family and friends.~