Cbashaw's 93 cube build. 30x30x24 lots of pics

cbashaw

Things are coming along great!  The cantilever design in your inspiration aquascape picture is not that easy.  It needs a pretty steady/heavy base to be able to offset the plate that juts out.

That's exactly what I was thinking I need to find a good base rock to build off of. I'm determined to get this aqua scape right.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Chris I will stick with the stock ones then.

Do you have a build thread on your tank? I have seen pics, but haven't seen much info on your setup.

No nit really. I started one on R2R but haven't been updating it.

Rimless is great, but nothing beats free.

I'm thinking my mermaid is going to outgrow the tank, maybe I should upgrade lol

• 2 weeks later...

Looks cool.  Is it pretty stable?

I still want to add a few fiberglass rods to be safe but it's pretty stable as is. The white fiberglass rod on the bottom helps to keep it from tipping forward but it's a little springy so I will add another.

I finally had some free time over the last few days to work on the tank.

I cut all the plumbing and found a way to make everything fit under the stand. Gluing the plumbing will be the next step.

tank in place and leak tested not including plumbing.

65c73e834e2ed3fe28aa484b29a18419_zps8d25

7147a66b73976fe7fd531c8a4c5955f5_zpsd6b5

Aqua scaping is mostly done I just need to do a little reinforcing. I'm pretty happy with it but would appreciate any comments or ideas. How does it look?

70c01e224db740a98695e9e306e0956c_zpsafb0

Just want to say that that looks like a PERFECT spot for the tank in your place.

Just want to say that that looks like a PERFECT spot for the tank in your place.

As soon as I walked into the model home, I saw that corner and thought it needed a cube :laugh:

What are you gonna do for lighting?

I'm going with a 250w DE14k phoenix, I may supplement with leds to extend the viewing time.

I went back and forth on led vs t5 or halide, but I've always loved the look of the phoenix.

I would add 4 54W T5s on 2 channels for a soft lighting transition. In addition there should be a dimmable MH ballast out now.

What t5 bulbs would you reccomend?  my light fixture (Geisemann Aluxis) is set up for 2 24" T5's  I may start with that, and add 2 more later.

Fiji Purple & Blue Plus I have the Giesemann 72" SPECTRA (3) 250W SE Radium Blues and (4) 80W T5s (3) Giesemann Atinic Plus, Fiji Purple That said you could add (2) 24" Reef Brites Check with Chris (Gadgets}

Edited by DCReefer1964

All the plumbing is done

75% filled with ro/di water

last night I completely gutted my geisemann 150 w/ t5 halide fixture, and put in the 250w phoenix with an icecap ballast and 1 starga actinic led from hellolights. I really like the look of the bulb combination, but will probably add a 2nd led because the halide overpowers 1 led strip by itself.  I put it over my 29g to test and the and I'm seeing colors in my corals that I never saw before with my finnex led.

Tomorrow, I will start, and hopefully finish skinning the stand.

Front view. The 10g tank will be my auto topoff resivoir but may become my refugium at some point if I ever decide I want one. If that happens i will build a seperate cabinet outside of the tank for the topoff.

352b23a971698c966797952af066c7f6_zpse93d

Side view

7147a66b73976fe7fd531c8a4c5955f5_zpsd6b5

Personally, I would go with two pumps. With one pump, it's really hard to introduce any randomness to the flow and you'll have shielded areas with little to no flow. A second pump, timed differently than the first will introduce a bit more randomness to the picture.

I should be picking up my wp25 soon, and I have a few maxi jets so I'm going to work with that for now, and will probably get a 2nd wp if I like it.